What's new

One box to age long term

I have a cabinet electronically controlled temp and humidity. It is full of Cubans and a couple boxes of pardon 64's. I have not smoked since 2002 so these have all been aged for at least 12 years. I smoked a 64 and a cuban for a special occasion recently and they are still quite yummie so I am not sure what is meant by they lose there flavor after a while. I find it to be quite the opposite

Don't age paddy 64's. It'll just make them worse. They've got 10 years on me before you even buy them. They're made to smoke right now. I believe Padron himself said that it makes no sense to charge 15 bucks for a cigar that you can't smoke for 5 years :)

My vote would be the Cohiba Siglo line. Absolutely FANTASTIC with 5 years on them.

I don't have anything constructive to contribute, but at first glance I thought the thread was called "one box to rule them all" and immediately my mind continued with 'one box to find them. one box to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them'. Well it amused me a little anyway :001_rolle
One Box to age long term...
In times of ancient magic, before darkness was revealed,
Commander forged a ssecret, Until now kept concealed,
Three Maduros on the top shelf reaching for the sky,

Seven Partagas for the trays in their rows so neat,
Nine Cubans beneath them all hidden from the eye,
One for Commander Quan upon his leather seat,
In the Land of Humidor where the Cigars lie.
One box to age long term, One box for a fellow,
One box to sleep so long and in the darkness mellow

I haven't seen work like that since Top Gumby...BRAVO! BRAVO!

:ouch1:

:a14:

I would go with a Romeo y Julietta. I bought a bunch of the churchills and have had them in my humidor for about 5 years. 2 left and everyday I'm tempted to smoke one because they taste amazing, but I hold off because I don't want to smoke them just because.

I would go with a Romeo y Julietta. I bought a bunch of the churchills and have had them in my humidor for about 5 years. 2 left and everyday I'm tempted to smoke one because they taste amazing, but I hold off because I don't want to smoke them just because.
I bought a box of Swisher Sweets "Cigars" the year I turned 18, smoked two and hated them. They spent the next 11 years in an old cedar hope chest before I pulled them out to take to a party. I was amazed. Poor quality cigars, ignored for years, not humidified and stored in the wrong type of cedar had turned into tasty little buggers.
I've never forgotten the lesson that I learned from that, and any time I can get either closeout cigars at a tobacconist with age on them or decent cigars at an excellent price, I don't hesitate.

I bought a box of Swisher Sweets "Cigars" the year I turned 18, smoked two and hated them. They spent the next 11 years in an old cedar hope chest before I pulled them out to take to a party. I was amazed. Poor quality cigars, ignored for years, not humidified and stored in the wrong type of cedar had turned into tasty little buggers.

Very interesting. I dug up some Phillies Sweets while cleaning recently, I figure they've got to be 8+ years old. They weren't in a cedar hope chest though!

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Derrick:
Aside the fact that the Monte #2 is a Piramide
(Torpedo), and the Partagas Lusitanias is a Prominente (double-corona), format with the Lusitanias generally being the 'full-strength' cigar (I would class the Monte as 'medium' strength'), I personally would 'go' with the Lusitanias because I think they would 'age' better than the Monte due to it's format. :thumbsup:
I myself? I would 'put down' (if only I had the discipline), a box of Romeo y Julietta Churchills.
proxy.php

However, cubans on average already have between 2-3yrs (sometimes more depending on your source), of age as indicated by their box codes. So, for me...that's plenty enough aging.

That said, I'll admit that aged cigars ‘mellow’ (in strength and character), and blend their qualities resulting in subtle complexities (i.e., draw, aroma, burn, flavor ect...), I find that a few years aging makes a smoother, more pleasant, and 'rounder' cigar. :drool:
proxy.php
"My tastes are simple: I am easily satisfied with the best". Sir Winston S. Churchill

Last edited:

B&B's Emperor of Emojis

Domminigan:
proxy.php
"A poem begins in delight and ends in wisdom.” Robert Frost

Last edited:
Derrick:
myself? I would 'put down' (if only I had the discipline), a box of Romeo y Julietta Churchills.
I'll admit that aged cigars ‘mellow’ (in strength and character), and blend their qualities resulting in subtle complexities (i.e., draw, aroma, burn, flavor ect...), I find that a few years aging makes a smoother, more pleasant, and 'rounder' cigar.

Some time ago on a visit to the shop,
I asked about the clearance smokes of the fellow with the mop.
He directed me with quiet gaze and thrust of sodden tool
At the front o'er the store there they were, I felt such the fool.
The sign was large, tall words it said;
These cigars no more, their tenure dead.
I cleared out stock entire, eight sticks did I find,
Two were new six not, their age long lost to mind.
I could not wait, my fingers flew as the first of them was lit,
The pepper, the spice, the ash so nice, so gently did it sit.
In joy did the smoke roll round, but too soon was it gone,
Seven more were my joy, I lit the next anon.
Premium sticks from boxes fair
Some sheltered years from air
While poor will gain from long term care
Good stock will better fare.

I may buy bundles of inexpensive cigars to throw in a couple of the Spanish cedar cabinets, but I buy premiums to put in the good cabinets to get even better.

And to all: I stole the first one from Tolkien, just shifted some words around.
This one? Too much homebrew...

Last edited:
Derrick,

In the OP you referred to the Monte #2 as the "rather obvious" choice. I'd submit that it's rather obvious for a reason. I have no experience with the Lusitanias, but a well-aged Monte Deuce (I recently opened my last box, from my 2006 deployment) is as close to cigar nirvana as I've ever come. That's my vote.

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Some time ago on a visit to the shop,
I asked about the clearance smokes of the fellow with the mop.
He directed me with quiet gaze and thrust of sodden tool
At the front o'er the store there they were, I felt such the fool.
The sign was large, tall words it said;
These cigars no more, their tenure dead.
I cleared out stock entire, eight sticks did I find,
Two were new six not, their age long lost to mind.
I could not wait, my fingers flew as the first of them was lit,
The pepper, the spice, the ash so nice, so gently did it sit.
In joy did the smoke roll round, but too soon was it gone,
Seven more were my joy, I lit the next anon.
Premium sticks from boxes fair
Some sheltered years from air
While poor will gain from long term care
Good stock will better fare.
Domminigan:
proxy.php
"One merit of poetry few persons [can] deny: it says more and in fewer words than prose.” Voltaire

Last edited:
Top Bottom