What's new

On The Fence About Going to Straights; Can Anyone Answer Some Questions?

My wife was completely against it too, so I bought one anyway. Now she really likes the smoothness of my shaves using a straight and wouldn't have it any other way.

My wife wasn't for, nor against it. Luckily I got a couple old straights from her uncle along with a bunch of DEs when I got into those. I eventually restored one (the other was fine) and got it honed and tried it.

She still likes the results of my DE shaves better as I'm not at the same level with my straights yet, but it's getting there.

Now to convince her to let me try the straight on her legs (she already uses my DEs on them... Slim Adjustable last time. heh)

I do not think that the phobia would be a make-or-break, but her constant nagging might. jk

1.) I told her that apart from a small guard/bar, I am already dragging an exposed blade across my face with my DE razor.

2.) I am an avid weightlifter and just as with straight razor shaving there is also a potential for injury if one is reckless, but no complaints about pumping iron.

I shaved one of the wifes legs with a straight and she shaved the other with a blue tip using IP reds. The next day she said the leg that the straight was used on was still smooth while the one the Gillette was used on was starting to get stubble.

That's one way to get her over the fear of a straight.

Back to honing.....

Don't let it be a barrier to using a straight razor. All you really need is a barber hone for touch-ups. With all the money I've invested (?) in rocks I could send every razor out for honing the rest of my life plus 20 years!

At just $20 a pop plus shipping, sending them out may well be the low cost alternative I should have taken. I'd have more money for razors! :w00t:

Agreed. If you have a backup straight, you use it while your everyday blade is off being honed. You don't even need a touch up hone.

Get a balsa strop with CrOx and you can keep the edge refreshed for quite some time.

Honing yourself isn't a requirement, just stropping is.

More questions:

1. What properties would be best for a newbie? I have read that 5/8 is the most common width and I would prefer a round point as I understand that they are the most forgiving.
  2. Is it not advisable to use the same razor everyday? I mean, if I just got one to start off would it be bad if I used just that one everyday?

I saw a 5/8 round point on WhippedDog yesterday, but it is gone today. The ones that are on there now all appear to be square point.

http://www.whippeddog.com/------WhippedDog-Straight-Razors/

Sorry that I am being such a bother and thanks to everyone for your advice so far and continued advice and support.

Honing is definitely not easy. However, it is not any harder than the rest of the str8t skillset.

You can get by with sending razors out and just maintaining them yourself. But, I think you should learn to hone on a couple of cheaper razors.

More questions:

1. What properties would be best for a newbie? I have read that 5/8 is the most common width and I would prefer a round point as I understand that they are the most forgiving.
  2. Is it not advisable to use the same razor everyday? I mean, if I just got one to start off would it be bad if I used just that one everyday?

I saw a 5/8 round point on WhippedDog yesterday, but it is gone today. The ones that are on there now all appear to be square point.

http://www.whippeddog.com/------WhippedDog-Straight-Razors/

Sorry that I am being such a bother and thanks to everyone for your advice so far and continued advice and support.

Here is from my limited experience,

1) the only property that should really concern a newb (IMHO) is shave readiness. Size and grind are things that can be sorted out later. After you figure out if straight shaving is for you.

2) I started with a square pointed razor. I guess I didn't know better. I was careful, and never had any major issues with the tip. I now prefer the way they look,and feel while shaving. I only have one round pointed razor. If you are worried about the tip, you can mute the point. Othershere can advise how to do that, I never have.

Honest questions are never a bother. Ask away, we're here to help.

also got my setup from larry at whipped dog, he is a fine honemeister and the poor man strop kit is a ridiculous value. I don't have any hones yet, but I will get some eventually, the pasted balsa wood has helped keep my blade sharp for the last couple months without issue

There are many different opinions on first razors, and truth be known many people start with whatever Grandfather left. I started with a 5/8ths Dovo Special, a round point, from Classic Shaving. But it could have been a razor from B/S/T.

A decent middle of the road razor is a half-hollow round or blunt point. The Thiers Issard Super Gnome Extra is a good example, but it now has a price point that makes it difficult for a beginner to justify.

Bottom line, if I was to start using a straight razor today knowing what I now know, I'd get one I liked the look of from B/S/T that was shave ready. You really will not know what you prefer from a size and grind standpoint until further down the road, so just get started.

I am just a couple of months ahead of you on the curve. It seems to me you are already past the point of no return.

There are 3 main issues: shaving, stropping, and honing. ( You should have face and shave prep down as this will allow you to focus on the others.)

Definitely get a professionally honed razor. Work on your shaving technique and stropping. Both require time (1-2 months) to develop a comfortable technique and both will result in some nicks. My learning curve has been much longer than with DE's but so much more rewarding. Get any inexpensive leather strop as it will take a beating initially.

With a pasted strop (I use .5 micron green CrO) and 5-10 strokes every 5-10 shaves you can touchup the edge for 6-12 mos. according to many.

In these first few months you will probably be tempted to pursue more significant honing so get a second less expensive razor and develop your technique on it. I decided to go the coticule route after much reading and find it very interesting and rewarding. Others follow the synthetic stone route- Naniwas, Shaptons, and Nortons. No right or wrong just preferences.

Honing takes on a life unto itself and is a discipline unto itself. Read and read some more before jumping into it. Good luck.

OK, I did it. I just sent the payment for my straight razor and the Poor Man Strop kit. Here is the one that I got.

I asked Larry to dull the tip. I figured that since it was an option, that I would do it. I really want to like straight razor shaving and I didn't want something like worrying about the tip getting in the way of learning and enjoying the process. Baby steps. haha Perhaps I sound too baby-ish or afraid, but I am more comfortable having it dulled. Larry says that it is easily reversible. So, presumably by the time that it needs its first honing I will be more comfortable straight shaving and can ask for the tip to be restored.

Thanks to everyone for their input, encouragement, and for sharing your experiences. :thumbup1: Next, I will head off to the straight razor wiki's and sticky's to learn what I can and if I have any questions, you will hear from me again!

Just remember that comfort factor. It can be very important when you are straight shaving. If anything feels uncomfortable while you have razor to face, stop and make the necessary adjustments.

That being said, try to relax. It really isn't scary once you get that first stroke down you're cheek. I was nervous at first too, but once I got my first shave done I couldn't wait for the next one. I still feel that way.

Top Bottom