What's new

Omega Proraso full of rooted upside down hairs!

Gentlemen,

Over 40 shaves with my omega Proraso and the thing still had a mix of broken in split hairs with a considerable and uncomfortable pokey scratchy sensation when face lathering.

After some reading I took a close look for inspection and voilà…

Rounded rooted thick transparent hairs that were obviously glued upside down.

I got some tweezers and plucked a lot of them, not just 3 or 5.

Once they were out I saw that the split ends were coming from inside the glued knot, not the other way around.

I showed to my wife before plucking, and she was like, “forget it, those are never gonna split”.

Problem solved. I just wanted to post this for anybody that may have a stubborn boar that doesn’t seem to be softening like it should.

Inspect the hair!

Ps: never had any issue with my other 13 year old omega.

Wow, that solves the mystery you raised in the other thread. Didn't see that coming!

I wonder if this has happened to anyone else?

Wow, that solves the mystery you raised in the other thread. Didn't see that coming!

I wonder if this has happened to anyone else?
Yep! Exactly. Neither did I.

I began searching for threads about stiff and pokey boars and found some info on that upside down thing.

When I took a closer look it was there, a full head or hairs with the rounded root sticking up.

Never saw that coming…

You've classified a problem that I don't think we had a formal conception of, prior to now. Nice one.
I tried and haven’t found any thread about it. Just some comments here and there, difficult to locate.

I hope that can help. I know I’ll keep an eye for it on every boar purchase from now on.

Something I'll be looking out for too.

It's one of those problems that seems obvious in retrospect - a few hairs getting turned around amongst hundreds - seems like it could happen pretty easily!

But until the problem gets defined the way you've done here, it's not obvious at all.

Something I'll be looking out for too.

It's one of those problems that seems obvious in retrospect - a few hairs getting turned around amongst hundreds - seems like it could happen pretty easily!

But until the problem gets defined the way you've done here, it's not obvious at all.
First shave with it now, after the "procedure".

What a difference, no more sharp pokey tips, just that wonderful boar scrub.

Yeah, one more for the book...

lasta

Blade Biter
Yep, first things to do with new boars after a few soaks is to pluck out 100-200 thick hairs.

Big difference indeed!

But be careful about going overboard, could make them floppy.

Yep, first things to do with new boars after a few soaks is to pluck out 100-200 thick hairs.

Big difference indeed!

But be careful about going overboard, could make them floppy.
I would never have imagined that as I did nothing to my first omega and it was wonderfully soft. But it's a dyed knot, I guess it could be softer from the start.

It's good to read that number above as I thought mine was a faulty one!

linty1

My wallet cries.
Is this an issue particular to boars? I've noticed this in my boars as well, upside down hairs, thick hairs and... some hairs that seem like rubber? I do pluck my boars, but have never encountered this with badgers.

lasta

Blade Biter
Is this an issue particular to boars? I've noticed this in my boars as well, upside down hairs, thick hairs and... some hairs that seem like rubber? I do pluck my boars, but have never encountered this with badgers.
I don't see it as a problem so much as "getting to know your pork!".

Watch a movie, pluck some hairs, a solid way to spend an evening haha.

lasta

Blade Biter
For all you finger pluckers though, do be careful. Only thing worse than an upside down thick strand is a half-broken needle of a thick strand!

What I do is isolate the problem hairs one at a time, pull to the side, then pinch the tweezer as close to the base as possible before making a few turns.

I'd like to know that as well as I'm thinking about my first badger purchase.

For all you finger pluckers though, do be careful. Only thing worse than an upside down thick strand is a half-broken needle of a thick strand!

What I do is isolate the problem hairs one at a time, pull to the side, then pinch the tweezer as close to the base as possible before making a few turns.

Yep I did that, some of them broke in half but I was able to locate and fully pluck them out.

Top Bottom