What's new

Omega/Proraso Dilemma . . . . .

I'm a settled DE shaver and use either of these soaps (creams?) every day. There is a catch. About 18 months ago a plumber had to clear my drain and he asked me what kind of soap am I using? I showed him a tub and he said that must be it.

Has anyone else had such a problem with accumulation? I now put several big glugs of Clorox down the drain weekly so as not to incur the wrath of the Plumbing Gods.

Btw, I let hot water run the entire time I'm shaving so it's not really a question of water flow...unless I need fire hose pressures.

:blink:

It's soap for goodness sakes. How can soap clog pipes?
Did the plumber give anymore explanation?

Put some baking soda and salt in the drain with a half a cup of vinegar poured in on top. Let it sit for 20 minutes and flush out with boiling water.

Dumping clorox down the drain every week sounds like a horrible idea.

So does the ridiculous notion that a shaving cream could clog pipes.

I would accept that MAYBE some kinds of soap cause hair to stick together more tightly in hair clogs, but there is no way that the use of soap for shaving is going to clog a pipe on its own.

I suspect most reading this agree.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Have wet wash cloth handy

remove drain plug so you are looking at the open tube

carefully dump 1/2 cup baking soda into your drain

Holding 1 cup vinegar in one hand and the folded wet cloth in the other, dump the vinegar in the drain and quickly plug with the rag. Wait about half a minute

Let sit for a while

Put plug back in

Done! Pour yourself a beer!

I should say, I'm not a plumber, so maybe there is a way that soap could clog a drain, but I would really like to learn how that is even possible.

This is an old complaint and true I'm afraid. Poraso specifically comes up for many guys. More than other products? Who knows.

My advice is to get yourself a snake and just deal with it. The only chemical I would pour down the drain is a industrial grade acid that you can buy at the plumbing store without a license. Even that I only use in odd situations. But, hey, some guys here are bonified chemist and they might know better. I do know that most products will ruin or eat your pipes up and that will cost a lot to replace years from now instead of a few bucks to run a snake as the problem comes up.

Either a simple hand-held snake or the kind that hooks to a drill works great.

I remember in the olden days when washing machine detergent clogged drains regularly. What ever Omega and Proraso (same factory) use seems to do it. Clorox is what most amateur clog guys use and it seems to work for me.

The flow was blocked going into the wall after going through the trap. Odd place.

If you have the old style cast iron or metal pipes you could run a pitcher of boiling water down the drain once a week or so. That usually keeps soap from clogging your pipes. If you have the newer PVC piping I wouldn't try this, though.

Top Bottom