What's new

olfactory fatigue

I got me some Florida water and over did it. The stuff smells like candy and it's really great, but I got a bottle of another scent (simply labeled "cologne") by the same maker that is also really great but there must be something in it, some flower essence, that I'm borderline allergic to or something, because now I want to take some time off from scents. For my last shave I used just witch hazel as an aftershave.

Anybody else have this experience?

I got me some Florida water and over did it. The stuff smells like candy and it's really great, but I got a bottle of another scent (simply labeled "cologne") by the same maker that is also really great but there must be something in it, some flower essence, that I'm borderline allergic to or something, because now I want to take some time off from scents. For my last shave I used just witch hazel as an aftershave.

Anybody else have this experience?

I accidentally heard a Backstreet Boys song in 1998, and it was three years before I could bring myself to turn on a radio again.

To elaborate, though it probably isn't needed, the first few uses in a row of Arko was an assault on my olfactory senses. By the third shave or so, it dies down to a bright lemon scent, as the olfactory receptors either start shutting down in protest, or ignoring the citronella...

I usually start reaching for lighter scents, even though, technically, Arko doesn't linger. But I do generally prefer lighter scented soaps. I like to smell it while I shave, but not be developed by a fog of scent, if that makes any sense at all.

To elaborate, though it probably isn't needed, the first few uses in a row of Arko was an assault on my olfactory senses. By the third shave or so, it dies down to a bright lemon scent, as the olfactory receptors either start shutting down in protest, or ignoring the citronella...

I usually start reaching for lighter scents, even though, technically, Arko doesn't linger. But I do generally prefer lighter scented soaps. I like to smell it while I shave, but not be developed by a fog of scent, if that makes any sense at all.
I used Arko today and wasn't bothered by it, but I couldn't decide which AS to use and settled on my old favorite, Clubman. Clubman is even a little much for me right now. Could be that time of year roo. I may have to use witch hazel for a while, or some Duru or something light if I can find it local.

Could be the time of year. Clubman would be too much for me at this time of year, or even most of the year. I'm using Duru right now, and that's working well for me.

I am not sure how to respond to this. I always use a mix of witch hazel and rubbing alcohol as an AS. I like to be able to apply scents as scents. And I wear a lot of different scents--edts, etc. I like the smell of FW, but it seems pretty fleeting to me. I do not know any other scents made by M&L. On the other hand, as I recall, FW would set my face on fire. It felt very harsh to newly shaved skin, at least my skin. I do not think of it as designed to be an AS. Also, I would consider Clubman to be at a full cologne or more strength as far as a scent. In theory I like Clubman a lot, but I think I must have gotten tired or it and the many scents that are similar, because I personally do not seem to wear it these days.

But, no. I do not think I have ever OD'd on a particular scent and had that turn me off to all scents. I have certainly OD'd on particular scents, though. There are just too many different wearable scents in the world!

I do tend to hit a point in the day where I'm tired of smelling anything on myself, particularly in summer.

I tend to gravitate now toward aftershaves that can give me a nice punch but then fade back rather quickly. Examples are most traditional bay rums, lime sec, duru, etc. I'll even put the veg in this camp - love it or hate it (I love it), it's not long lasting.

I like Clubman as well, but I usually cut it by half with witch hazel when I decant to glass, so it's a little less powerful. It is also not what I would picture using on a hot summer day.

Top Bottom