What's new

Old Man Smell

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Fragrances by Santa Maria Novella, they started making rose water in 1291 I believe, and most of their fragrances smell ‘old’ to me, probably because they are. Not a bad thing BTW, if that’s what you want.

Most of the famous French fragrance houses are also old, think Creed Green Irish Tweed, Geurlain, etc.

For me, it's brut and old spice, with a mullet and platform shoes as accessories
And aramis, the aramis always came out on special occasions
Funnily enough, most people tell me that tobs sandalwood reminds them of an old aftershave
Don't get this myself ,as I don't remember it at all
I know it was out, but it was nowhere near as available as it is now, I doubt most people had even heard of it 15 years ago

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I asked my nephew in Spain to bring some La Toja and Floid Vigoroso - and he did, several of each.

I was delighted. His Spanish GF took one whif and shuddered. She had a very creepy uncle that wore it ... no more questions and I didn't use it while they were here.

Old man smell is one thing, old creep is another.

In Denmark there was an AS product I loved, bought it both times I was there. Our Danish hosts were politely shocked that I would want ... that ... at my age ... Hey, it was a fougere. Still have some.

AA

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I asked my nephew in Spain to bring some La Toja and Floid Vigoroso - and he did, several of each.

I was delighted. His Spanish GF took one whif and shuddered. She had a very creepy uncle that wore it ... no more questions and I didn't use it while they were here.

In Denmark there was an AS product I loved, bought it both times I was there. Our Danish hosts were politely shocked that I would want ... that ... at my age ... Hey, it was a fougere. Still have some.

AA
This again just reinforces my firm belief that it isn't the smell that is "old man", it's the memories that the scent evokes in the smeller of a person who smelled LIKE that from their past.

I smelled both Aqua Velva Ice Blue and Skin Bracer for the first time recently, and they definitely don't make me think "old man", but again, I hadn't smelled them before to associate that smell to any person or place. Honestly, they both just smell clean and unisex. My father on the other hand has expressed disdain for Aqua Velva from smelling it back in his day (they used to make and sell it here in Australia (I have a vintage glass bottle), no idea when they stopped), so he might associate it as an "old man" smell.
IMG_3242.JPG

I wanted to add something in here, but have been waiting.

Scents (styles, fabrics, jokes, traditions, mannerisms, quirks, etc,...) that remind me of my father and my grand father put a smile on my face. Any scent that I choose, soap, deo, shower gel, cologne, AS, ASB... I Choose It For Me! Not, for others. If others don't like it, that's okay with me. It does not bother me one bit that AnyOne would call it "Old Man Smell"....and, Yes, I remember how my grand father smelled when he would come home from an over-time shift at the rail yard and shower in the basement...:biggrin1:

I have co-workers that are as-young or younger than my youngest child. We have these types of discussions throughout the week and I really enjoy them, as well as the young people that I work with. :thumbup1:

This past week a very young co-worker that I adore told me that when I use ... in my texts to her that that is an aggressive text....LOL! I told her that it meant that I had more to say and that I wasn't meaning how she took it.......Anyway, the conversation ended with her saying "That's a very dad thing to say" and I said "That's okay I am a dad and a grand dad, but I don't have a dad-bod".....which caused her to laugh very hard!

The band "The Bare Naked Ladies" came out with a song in the last few years that fits my thoughts on some of these topics, and, it definitely fits for me worrying about if I smell old or not. I enjoy the scents that I use.

Old Man Smell ... A smell that linger all day long well into the evening. I believe today's aftershave Mennen Grand Large qualify ... well this is my definition

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I'm going to create an aftershave and name it "Old Man"
And in parentheses below that (In church, with hair growing out of his ears).

That said, the first time I smelled Grey Flannel, I was wowed. It's unlike any of the scents I wore before. It's a bit more floral mixed with some heavier notes. While I wouldn't recommend bathing in it, I do think a dab at the pulse points is just about right.

It is a good balance with just a hint of floral that is balanced with heavier notes. It is after all a man's colone, not a florist shop.
AV has a fine smell. Very subtle and clean. Not too sweet, not musky. It’s a timeless hit.

I believe that was the intention.

I smelled both Aqua Velva Ice Blue and Skin Bracer for the first time recently, and they definitely don't make me think "old man", but again, I hadn't smelled them before to associate that smell to any person or place. Honestly, they both just smell clean and unisex.

I don't think that either of these were intended as colones. They were intended to be used as aftershaves.

I am currently using Aqua Velva and I agree that it just smells fresh and unisex.

These companies made it for cheap and they sold it for cheap... They did the job, alcohol burn with a bit of menthol.

That's all these drugstore aftershaves were. They didn't really pretend to be anything else.

You splashed some on your face and felt the effect. The "smell" disappeared in minutes, not hours.

Mission accomplished...

I quickly learned as a young man that "old man smell" really translated to: classic, affordable, tasteful, understated, all-occasions-appropriate - including for school/work, and sure to please (many of) the ladies, too (and a subtle indicator of which ladies were the ones worth the attention).

AA
As a Dane I would like to know what AS product it was? 😅

Ad Astra

The Instigator
As a Dane I would like to know what AS product it was? 😅
Swear it was called ...

This one here:

New bottle these days:

And it's decent. I have used it since!

AA

Swear it was called ...

This one here:

New bottle these days:

And it's decent. I have used it since!

AA

Arh yes, I see!

I have never heard of anyone actually using this product - but some must do, I guess 😅

It had some cinema commercials in the 50'es with big Danish movie stars stating that it could be used for almost everything. From freshening up, to rubbing on the neck to prevent white shirts being dirty, or airfreshener 😎

Pretty cool product - but I have never tried it myself.

Top Bottom