What's new

Old knives, cleavers, and... HOG SPLITTERS!

I love cleaning up and restoring old things. I suspect it's a passion I developed from restoring and collecting vintage double edge razors. I also love the patina of old steel, though, and I especially love old knives and butchering implements. I was googling the other day and discovered hog splitters.

HOG SPLITTERS!

Look at this thing. I would love to restore one of these to hair splitting sharpness and just hang it over a doorway in my house. I think it would terrify my teenage daughter's suitors sufficiently, don't you?
7c86e43dedd6d015bb8865dfaa591212.jpg

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I love cleaning up and restoring old things. I suspect it's a passion I developed from restoring and collecting vintage double edge razors. I also love the patina of old steel, though, and I especially love old knives and butchering implements. I was googling the other day and discovered hog splitters.

HOG SPLITTERS!

Look at this thing. I would love to restore one of these to hair splitting sharpness and just hang it over a doorway in my house. I think it would terrify my teenage daughter's suitors sufficiently, don't you?View attachment 1152997
"Fred Kibbey Chevrolet Olds..." I drive past that building all the time. It's now an antique market. I never knew it had been a car dealer. On "Broadway," US Route 42 in Lebanon, right next to the railroad tracks.

Owen Bawn

Whenever I hear the story of the 2 women who both claim to be the mother of the same baby so they bring the baby to King Solomon who says he'll divide the infant in half I see him calling for a hog splitter like that one. Although they wouldn't have said it was for hogs... more like sheep or goats. They must have had them in the Temple in Jerusalem. They were slaughtering and burning critters round the clock in those days.

I think it would terrify my teenage daughter's suitors sufficiently, don't you?

That would be effective as the young man arrives to pick up your daughter for a date. He gets to the front door only to see a note directing him to come around the back, you all are outside. He comes around the corner and your daughter is asking you about how you get such an edge on that hog splitter. Then you both turn, "Oh, hello there - you must be Jacob..."

Owen Bawn

That would be effective as the young man arrives to pick up your daughter for a date. He gets to the front door only to see a note directing him to come around the back, you all are outside. He comes around the corner and your daughter is asking you about how you get such an edge on that hog splitter. Then you both turn, "Oh, hello there - you must be Jacob..."
The young suitors- they're all either named Jacob or Logan now, aren't they?

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!

More so if you're sharpening it when they first meet you. That way it's not just a scary lump of metal, it's a scary lump of metal in the hands of someone who knows what to do with it... :devil:

People have gone eerily quiet around me when I've been sharpening stuff, and not just axes and machetes either. I once sharpened a kitchen knife at my brother's family BBQ. It was so blunt, it wasn't obvious which was the edge and which was the spine :lol: I quickly put a working edge on it with a concrete fencepost and the bottom of a coffee mug (it was all that was available), and the looks in his inlaws faces was priceless 🤣

His sis-in-law did cautiously ask to borrow my pocket knife for something, but then promptly decided to bleed all over it... :001_rolle

Either that or they say something like "THAT IS THE COOLEST THING I HAVE EVER SEEN IN MY LIFE!"

Oh hell yeah I want something that looks like a Klingon would use it to commit war crimes.

Top Bottom