What's new

Oil shaver needs help with soaps and creams

Hello everyone,

I usually shave with just oil and get close, comfortable shaves but every couple of years I get tempted to try some soaps and creams. Today I used the same razor and blade as I did on my last shave but instead of shave secret I used captains choice north soap. I had a rough, bloody shave and my skin feels dry afterward.

Other times I have tried soaps it isn't quite so bad but it is frustrating. Not sure if I am doing something wrong with my lathering? Today wasn't a super thick lather but it wasn't running down my face or anything. Does the thickness of the lather make a big difference?

When I shave with oil, I will wet each section just before shaving so the area is wet. When using soap, I don't add the water to each section because the soap is there. I think this may have something to do with the different kinds of shaves I am getting.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks!

My worst shave came from using a good shaving soap with not enough water and not enough time whipping a good lather. Everyone had said it was such a good soap, and I was eager to try it.

After this failure, I took the blade out of my safety razor and whipped lather in a bowl for a test. I would slowly add more water little by little (dipping just the tip of my brush in water). I would then place some of the lather on the back of my hand at each step and rub the cap of my razor (with no blade) over the back of my hand testing for slickness. Add a little more water, whip some more, test slickness on the back of my hand, repeat.

I learned a lot in the the process. I found that when the lather would get to maximum peaks, I needed to add a little more water to make the peaks be a little rounded and fall over--I also found that the lather would get a pearly shine when it got slick.

On my touch up pass, I will add a lot of water and rub the left-over lather on my face with my hands to make it really slick. It acts a lot like shave secret. Even on my second pass, I add more water than my first pass. I only care about cushion on my first pass, then I progressively add water for slickness.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
After 10 years of struggling with soaps and creams I have finally concluded that oils suit me better. My advice is to stay where you are!

@yungleen try some cremo! It’s like a cross between an oil and a soap. They have a lathering version so that might provide the performance and experience you’re looking for!

The secret I've found can be written as an equation:

a lot of water + a lot of product = a lot of lather

Too little product => disappointing lather
Too little water => disappointing lather

Try a wetter brush and load for longer than you think you need to.

Hello everyone,

I usually shave with just oil and get close, comfortable shaves but every couple of years I get tempted to try some soaps and creams. Today I used the same razor and blade as I did on my last shave but instead of shave secret I used captains choice north soap. I had a rough, bloody shave and my skin feels dry afterward.

Other times I have tried soaps it isn't quite so bad but it is frustrating. Not sure if I am doing something wrong with my lathering? Today wasn't a super thick lather but it wasn't running down my face or anything. Does the thickness of the lather make a big difference?

When I shave with oil, I will wet each section just before shaving so the area is wet. When using soap, I don't add the water to each section because the soap is there. I think this may have something to do with the different kinds of shaves I am getting.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks!

Wow, it works for you!

Don't change a single thing!

Just enjoy!!

@yungleen try some cremo! It’s like a cross between an oil and a soap. They have a lathering version so that might provide the performance and experience you’re looking for!
I actually have some but haven't tried it yet. I bought a pack with 4 different kinds at a Marshalls.

After 10 years of struggling with soaps and creams I have finally concluded that oils suit me better. My advice is to stay where you are!
What oils do you like to shave with? I like shave secret, razorock Lime, and have some others to try. Regular olive oil works ok,want to try some others like hemp.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
What oils do you like to shave with? I like shave secret, razorock Lime, and have some others to try. Regular olive oil works ok,want to try some others like hemp.
I have used shave secret, razorock lime, and a few others.

Far and away the best I have found is

Tree Hut bare Moisturizing Shave Oil, 7.7oz, Essentials for Soft, Smooth, Bare Skin

It smells kind of fruity but doesn't gunk up my razor at all and washes off my face easily.

I have used shave secret, razorock lime, and a few others.

Far and away the best I have found is

Tree Hut bare Moisturizing Shave Oil, 7.7oz, Essentials for Soft, Smooth, Bare Skin

It smells kind of fruity but doesn't gunk up my razor at all and washes off my face easily.
I'll have to try that one.

After more than 10 years of using expensive soaps and creams, with middling results, this blows everything else I have ever used out of the water.

I can’t claim 10 years (only about 2 and a half) but i felt the same way about cremo. I actually bought it for my fiance’ for leg shaving but used it when i was in a hurry and felt like i just discovered some well kept secret.

The secret I've found can be written as an equation:

a lot of water + a lot of product = a lot of lather

Too little product => disappointing lather
Too little water => disappointing lather

Try a wetter brush and load for longer than you think you need to.

+2!! Yep!! ’Load it like you hate it!’ Then use plenty of water. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Top Bottom