What's new

Ohzuku

I don't consider myself to be an expert.
I don't think anyone referred to themselves an expert.
I don't believe for a minute that i need to be an expert.

Who decides this expert status?

Is a used car salesman that's sold over 50,000 cars, or someone that's driven 75 different cars by default an automotive 'expert'?

That's a rhetorical question. No need to respond.

What I've read so far - not every stone is 'tested' some are assumed to be good.

They are assumed to be good because similar stones were good.

And;

So far - no one outside of this forum has told me super-hard stones are for experts only.
And that's after lengthy discussions with people that have decades of Jnat use under their belts.
totally agree....

someone told me once that shaving with a straight was "too hard" ....

I don't consider myself to be an expert.
I don't think anyone referred to themselves an expert.
I don't believe for a minute that i need to be an expert.

Who decides this expert status?

~~~~EX = has been

SPURT = drip

Best,

=:)
Jake
Reddick Fla.

someone told me once that shaving with a straight was "too hard" ....

~~~I was told not to try to learn how to hone and how to shave with the straight razor at the same time, to wait until I had experience and knew what I was doing with the straight (how to shae with it) before taking on honing...I didn't listen to them, nor should you/anyone.

And this set of instruction (not to learn honing/shaving w/straight simultaneously) has been offered by accomplished straight razor honers. That said, I'm sure I have opined on subjects where the listeners thought different, better

When it comes to honing, shaving (w/a straight razor), it's wise to take advice from many and form your own conclusions

Best,

Jake
Reddick Fla.

Ok, thanks for the replies... so, since I am a newbie can I start with this stone (my goal is to keep sharpening) or should I change?

Last edited:
Ok, thanks for the replies... so, since I am a newbie can I start with this stone (my goal is to keep sharpening) or should I change?

~~~~Waxe, are you wanting to use this stone (link you attached) strictly as a finisher or do you want to go from dull to shave ready? It will do both but to go from dull to shave ready you will need to buy additional naguras, a set to go from one stage (level of honing) to another

I do all of my progression on other honing systems... mostly coticules but I have gone from a progression of lapping film straight to the J-Nat I pictured

In other words, I'm using my Ozuku Asagi strictly as a finisher

let us know what your expectations are

Best,

Jake
Reddick Fla.

I want to use this stone strictly as a finisher.

~~~okay then, ask the vendor for tomo nagura, and ask if the stone comes un-lapped. Most stones (natural) are sold un-lapped. some vendors offer lapping services. If the stone comes to you unlapped and you do not have something to lap it with, you could use sand paper, emory, wet/dry but if you accumulate other naturals down the road, I'd suggest you purchase a diamond metal hone/lapping plate

DMT is a brand. I have and use their 350/600 Duo-Sharp. Nice bang for the buck as it can be used for bevel correction

Anyways, do not use this stone (if you buy it) until the surface is lapped...and it's a good idea to bevel the sides too with your lapping plate/hone

Best,

Jake
Reddick Fla.

I would recommend not using a diamond plate for generating slurry on a hard awasedo. In my experience, it can result in a rougher edge with the Japanese finishers I've used. Use a tomonagura.

As far as experts and all that, I am of the opinion that it's folly to put all of one's trust in another's advice without some healthy contemplation and skepticism.

I've received "shave ready" razors from sellers shrouded in an air of confidence that were partially dull. One even went from new to razors to restorer in a matter of months and argued that my methods of testing sharpness were bogus (HHT) and were what dulled to the point of not cutting arm hair (TNT) the heel and tip on a smiling razor I bought. I've seen some who have spent lots of time using one type of hone make categorical claims about other hones while apparently only spending a handful of sessions using those other hones. (Yet, somehow only the type of hone they use most requires more experience?) In other walks of life, I've seen college freshmen correct world-renowned professors and eager enthusiasts have their preconceived notions shattered by someone with more years behind him. Learning goes both ways, and it takes an open mind, a bit of thinking and a degree of humbleness to sort through knowledge and experiences.

(And, I hope that whenever someone calls me an expert in anything, I'll never let it get to my head. I'd rather feel humbly embarrassed and keep open the possibility that what I know is only a small part of possible experiences.)

Super hard Jnats: Not for experts only...but almost always not for beginners, either, IMO. Trying to get a beginner to learn to hone on something with the hardness and tactile feel of a ~'piece of glass' is not likely going to do him any good.

Super hard Jnats: Not for experts only...but almost always not for beginners, either, IMO. Trying to get a beginner to learn to hone on something with the hardness and tactile feel of a ~'piece of glass' is not likely going to do him any good.

I hear your point - I'd like to refine it further.

I feel that a lot of this direction really depends on the person.
Not everyone hones well on all stones. Some people pick up Coticules fast - others not. Same for all stones.
My first Jnat was a stupid-hard stone - I got along very well with it. Granted -I had more than some honing under my belt when I recieved it.
It's like saying synths are the way to go for a beginner. That's just - well, too general of a statement honestly.

There's more to the hardness thing with Jnats though - this debate is just the tip of the iceberg..

One thing for certain - you don't know what a stone is going to do for you until you use it several times. Hell - just lappnig 1mm off the top of a natural stone can reveal a whole new set of characteristics.

For me - to finish on a Jnat, my best efforts were from starting at Mejiro, then Tomo. Others may have different experiences but as a rule, that's my recipe.

Waxe, for what it's worth, my first and only hone is an Ozuku Asagi. I've honed two razors on it, and while they're not up to the level of the 'shave-ready' ones I've bought from the B/S/T here, it's just a matter of time and practice. So as someone about 2 months into shaving with straights and a week into honing - is is possible? Of course. Is it easy? Of course not. But easy may not be your highest priority if you're a) using straights and b) planning on honing them. You're probably a bit of a luddite, like most people on here (I suspect). I expect it's going to take me a few months of honing to understand how to get the most of my progression, but I'm okay with that. And I'm getting decent (although not great) shaves off of the two blades I've honed myself.

The ozuku is one of my favorite finishers but, for me, some razors just don't seem to like it. I usually finish Sheffields on something else. Still learning.

"In the beginner's mind, there are many possibilities;
in the expert's mind, there are few'

....Suzuki Roshi

While Gamma has never classified himself an expert, I've learned more from that cat than from any other JNat information source. While I have done my due diligence, reading and researching all things Jnat, Gamma and Takeshi have basically filled in the gaps for me, and continue to do so. It's great to be able to ask a question without getting a healthy dose of bravado and ego in return. There are great sources of information here and elsewhere if you are willing to accept and encourage the exchange of ideas. I know, easier said than done, but we can still hope.

Last edited by a moderator:
While Gamma has never classified himself an expert, I've learned more from that cat than from any other JNat information source. While I have done my due diligence, reading and researching all things Jnat, Gamma and Takeshi have basically filled in the gaps for me, and continue to do so. It's great to be able to ask a question without getting a healthy dose of bravado and ego in return. There are great sources of information here and elsewhere if you are willing to accept and encourage the exchange of ideas. I know, easier said than done, but we can still hope.

Preach, brother!

I second that, Gamma is the MAN

Top Bottom