What's new

Odd evening

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
So, right after I posted my last POTD post, the wife came out and sat with me. We had a couple of snorts of Ardbeg Uigeadail, then a couple tips of Caol Ila.
The wife isn't really a Whisky fan, but she seemed to be enjoying the Islay.
We started talking about the pipe I was smoking, and she wanted to see what it was like.
For the next hour or two, we played with different pipes, A Gourd Calabash, my Ginormous Meerschaum, and some nice briars with short bowls of several different tobaccos.
She certainly wasn't impressed with the tobaccos as much as she was with the Whisky, but still - it was a really nice time.
If I had thought of this scenario before it played out, I never would have thought I would have enjoyed it as much as I did.
Have you guys been there? Would you be willing to try to help the Mrs. understand your attraction to the brown leaf?
Honestly, it was a hoot.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
So, right after I posted my last POTD post, the wife came out and sat with me. We had a couple of snorts of Ardbeg Uigeadail, then a couple tips of Caol Ila.
We started talking about the pipe I was smoking, and she wanted to see what it was like.
For the next hour or two, we played with different pipes, A Gourd Calabash, my Ginormous Meerschaum, and some nice briars with short bowls of several different tobaccos.
She certainly wasn't impressed with the tobaccos as much as she was with the Whisky, but still - it was a really nice time.
If I had thought of this scenario before it played out, I never would have thought I would have enjoyed it as much as I did.
Have you guys been there? Would you be willing to try to help the Mrs. understand your attraction to the brown leaf?
Honestly, it was a hoot.
My favorite post of the night, my friend.

Cherish these times.

As a pipe, cigar, and cigarette smoker, I believe my lovely bride tolerates these idiosyncrasies only because I’m also the head chef here, as she will not cook because she cannot cook. She thinks the smoke detector is a timer. I, on the other hand, love cooking. So we’ve a solid arrangement. I cook, we eat fairly well. And though she also doesn’t object to my occasional libation, she’s an inexpensive date, one glass of Pinot Noir and it’s time for bed. So, though I find it difficult to respond accurately to your question, I loved the story and find myself a bit jealous of what appears to have been an extraordinary evening for you and your lovely bride. Best wishes to you both!

Curly

Wow, I can't believe I waited to read this until I too had enough to drink and nobody was posting on any of my watched threads... agree with the above, best post of the night. I have no idea what I am typing as my fingers are telling my brain that they don't understand the signals coming from my brain. 🤪

My bride and mother to be enjoys whisk(e)ys but Islay. She won't get close to me if I've been drinking Islay and I think Islay are the only real scotch (I know, fighting words!)

She tolerates me smoking but doesn't really like the smell of cigars. She will sit next to me all night while I puff on a pipe. She really enjoyed the smell of Frog Morton Cellar but most any pipe tobacco she is fine with.

She will not join in but she used to come and hang out with the cigar club guys at a patio or the covered heated porch of a local bar on occasion. She is one of the guys to them.

Great story, Phil. The second Mrs. Benzadmiral (now ex) sat with me as I learned about the pipe in the '80s, but she never had any urge to try the stuff. And Miss Linda now doesn't complain. But I usually don't smoke when she's here anyway.

We have radically different experiences in wives my friend. My wife will throw my pipe in the trash if I leave it on the table on the porch, even if I tuck it discretely behind the watering can that sits there. Had to fish one out of the trash and clean it a couple of times. Of course my days here are numbered but the things we do to remain with our kids...

Honestly, it was a hoot.
When I was still a worshiper of Bacchus, the wife sometimes joined me, although she did not love wine the way I did. On such occasions the evenings became loose and lustful. That is about as detailed as I am able and willing to share.

That sounds like a lovely time well spent. I do not have such luck. While my preferences are mainly VaPers rotated with English blends, my wife only semi-tolerates the more subtle Three Star Blue or some of the other codger blends.
The good news is, while my wife doesn't drink any kind of whiskey, she loves the smell of it on my breath. ..... I guess I am pretty lucky.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Honestly, it was a hoot.

Great post big guy! I haven’t posted in the Brown Leaf for quite sometime. After a bout of long Covid a couple of years ago, I sold off all of my pipes and tobacco’s. I had quite the start up tobacco cellar, with many of the most popular tobacco’s all with about 3 years of age on them.

Before my long term illness and selling it all off, I was already coming to a place of the beginning stages of being a minimalist and simplifying my life and the stuff in it.

Even with my tobacco cellar, I was only partaking of the pipe, maybe a couple times a month? Anyhoo, since that time, My health scare has passed and I was missing the occasional pipe and the relaxation and meditation that comes with it along with a wee dram and snort of some sort to wash it down.

Your post reminded me, of the many times my wife would come sit on the back porch and take my pipe from my hand and retro hale with the expertise of a professional pipe smoker, which made me jealous of her because I can’t even do it that well. :)

I have recently picked up a couple of matching cob’s for her and I and some tobacco’s and she came out on the porch and we endulged once again after a couple of year hiatus.

I will probably keep the cellar and endulging to a minimum, but It was really nice to remember, how smoking hot my wife looks when she’s puffing on a pipe. ;)

Last edited:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Great post big guy! I haven’t posted in the Brown Leaf for quite sometime. After a bout of long Covid a couple of years ago, I sold off all of my pipes and tobacco’s. I had quite the start up tobacco cellar, with many of the most popular tobacco’s all with about 3 years of age on them.

Before my long term illness and selling it all off, I was already coming to a place of the beginning stages of being a minimalist and simplifying my life and the stuff in it.

Even with my tobacco cellar, I was only partaking of the pipe, maybe a couple times a month? Anyhoo, since that time, My health scare has passed and I was missing the occasional pipe and the relaxation and meditation that comes with it along with a wee dram and snort of some sort to wash it down.

Your post reminded me, of the many times my wife would come sit on the back porch and take my pipe from my hand and retro hale with the expertise of a professional pipe smoker, which made me jealous of her because I can’t even do it that well. :)

I have recently picked up a couple of matching cob’s for her and I and some tobacco’s and she came out on the porch and we endulged once again after a couple of year hiatus.

I will probably keep the cellar and endulging to a minimum, but It was really nice to remember, how smoking hot my wife looks when she’s puffing on a pipe. ;)
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers...

Top Bottom