What's new

Obscure Firearms In The Safe, On-Screen

Thought that one on the left looked like a Swede when I saw a later reply. I have several of those, including one made for them by Mauser Obendorf in 1900. All of the serial numbered parts on it match, and it has a two digit serial number.
I also have one with an attractive elm stock.

The other military rifles I admire and shoot a lot are the Swiss straight pulls, the 1911 Schmidt Rubin and the K 31 rifles.

I too have a K31. I had a Swiss 96/11 but sold it. Here is something of interest. I tracked down the troop tag and got this response.
proxy.php

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My Grandfather carried this Brunswig in those trenches in the European theater in WW1 along with a M1911 with the newly formed 1St. Inf. Div. I never really did much research on these, but I would venture to say their aren't too many around. BTW: .32 cal. Every once and a while I put a few rounds through it.
WW1 005.JPG

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
My Grandfather carried this Brunswig in those trenches in the European theater in WW1 along with a M1911 with the newly formed 1St. Inf. Div. I never really did much research on these, but I would venture to say their aren't too many around. BTW: .32 cal. Every once and a while I put a few rounds through it.View attachment 1177855
That's a nice "Ruby" but the Brunswig name was used by several different Eibar makers. There should be two letters in the oval on the left rear of the frame and if it was accepted by the French Army likely two stars on the butt around the magwell.

The letters in the oval are really important since the Ruby was made by so many different makers and magazines seldom interchanged between makers. Each magazine also carried the makers stamp and so a user could get an idea of whether or not a given magazine would work in his handgun.

If you can make out the makers mark I might be able to tell which company made your Ruby.

By the way, the Rubys are based on the John Browning Colt 1903 design but with a few actually useful modifications.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Clinton’s 1994 Public Safety and Recreational Firearms Use Protection Act, which among other things, limited mag capacity to 10-rds, eventually weighed-in on HK’s decision to scrap M13 production in 2000 ... i.e., no longer able to import M13s (except for Military & LEOs) the M13 market dried up. Knowing that Clinton’s Act was set-up to ‘sunset’ in 2004, I spiked a NIB post-1994 LEO/Military M13 a year before & paid a $100 over MSRP a few days after the act expired.

Part of the reason for the current going-rate for P7-series pistols & especially the M13, whose demise preceded the cessation of P7M8 & M10 production by eight years, was the New Jersey State Police’s (2008) decision to destroy their inventory of 3,200-plus (retired) M8s & 13s, instead of releasing them for the civilian sale ... 3,200 additional squeeze-cockers would have really softened P7 values.

All the above meaningless drivel spelled out, some 16-years later & the M13 remains unfired, which is a testament to what, IMO, is the perfect range/carry piece, the P7 & the P7M8.
I can’t remember whether it was the 8 rounded or 13. I’d take either one.

Speaking of Browning, had one of these in the safe once, but alas gone missing in a military HHG move years back (required for firearms bound OCONUS). Not much utility as a sidearm, but probably one of the most accurate 9mm I ever shot. Not aware of any big screen appearances though, although would be very cool and would be totally in keeping with Hollywood's impractical handgun stockroom inventory....

proxy.php

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
I think almost all of my guns fall into the obscure category and quite a few show up in films and TV series. I was watching the whole PBS Masterpiece Mystery Poirot series and they had a few handuns like Webley Revolvers and Colt 1903s and Beretta 1934/35s and FN 1910s.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Not an FN 1910 but like the Ortgies featured up thread a visual homage to the design.

Bernardelli Striker Fired:
proxy.php

And in my own safe now, although not particularly rare or unusual, valuable to me because it was my father's. Some variant of the little Airweight shows up in just about every cop and gangster movie or TV show ever made, and probably the most famous owner/carrier of one of these was J. Edgar Hoover.

20201124_095336.jpg

I too have a K31. I had a Swiss 96/11 but sold it. Here is something of interest. I tracked down the troop tag and got this response.
proxy.php

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Those K 31's and the 96, 96/11 are interesting. Most of mine have troop tags. I have never tried tracing one though.

I enjoy seeing the S&W 5906 pop up in various tv shows. (Chuck has it heavily) I also laugh and point out, much to my wife's chagrin, when the person isn't holding their pistol correctly. You know, when they have their hands way down on the grip and not up into the beaver tail.

Top Bottom