What's new

Nurse Dave's journey

2018 shave #50 (DE:8 SE:20 Str:20 Cart:2)

Feather SS w/ Feather Proguard (7)/ Qshave clean up
CBL Russian Tea 2.0
Plisson synthetic in Shave Revolution 24mm handle
Witch Hazel & alum
Nivea balm
Penhaligon’s Clandestine Clara

Today’s shave was a repeat of yesterday’s because I wanted to use that soap again. I can say, this was also the best results I’ve had from a straight shave to date. The cheeks were darn near BBS after two passes, but I went for the ATG and wound up with the closest shave I’ve ever had on my cheeks. I’d have to go to @skypsyd for a ruling, but I think it was DSBBS-S.

Since things were going so well, I figured I’d try a 3rd pass on the neck. Tried a direct S-N pass but that didn’t take it all off. Had a good amount of clean up but not a lot of alum sting.

Back home today. Napa was beautiful with the yellow mustard flowers in bloom through all the vineyards and sunny 70s. Got out of the habit of getting out to the range so will be getting back to archery tomorrow afternoon with the wife and at least one girl.

This is a vinyard that was planted in 1910. Talk about old vine Zinfandel!

469E51B7-82CD-4293-B392-249A0BDEDB8D.jpeg

Great SS shave, Dave! The mustard is gorgeous, though it looks like you guys have had more rain up there than we've had down SoCal way. Sounds like you've had a nice relaxing trip with some dynamite shaves. Keep up the good shaves!

Good Stuff Dave

Nice reading Dave. That SS is treating you well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seeing that picture has me very jealous.

No shave though and congrats on the nice straight shave

Great SS shave, Dave! The mustard is gorgeous, though it looks like you guys have had more rain up there than we've had down SoCal way. Sounds like you've had a nice relaxing trip with some dynamite shaves. Keep up the good shaves!

Thanks guys. It sure is nice when things seem to click. Funny how that just seems to happen and not when you're trying hard.

Great shave Dave. I have to finish getting my bow ready to go. I have an old recurve that I have never used.
That's what we're using. I guess different strokes for different folks, but it sure is satisfying to hit a good shot when it's just you and a basic bow. The people that got us into it shoot with primitive bows, and my wife expresses an interest in switching to that. Which is funny because she's a Four Seasons/Louis Vuitton type of gal, but likes these basically sticks make into bows with wooden arrows.

2018 shave #51 (DE:8 SE:21 Str:20 Cart:2)

Feather SS w/ Feather Proguard (8)
Scheermonnik Soek
Witch Hazel & alum
Nivea balm
C.O. Bigelow Cashmere Fig

Just a quick simple shave after late breakfast on Monday. The Scheermonnik is a good performing soap. Took til the 2nd pass to have some residual slickness, but then it was there in spades. The scent was a nice warm spice, which is all up in my wheel house.

2018 shave #52 (DE:8 SE:21 Str:21 Cart:2)

Weck Med Prep/Asylum "The Doctor" RX w/ Feather Proguard (8.5)
PdP 63
Witch Hazel & alum
Nivea balm
C.O. Bigelow Cashmere Fig

Thought I'd see how the Weck feels after my little breakthrough on the SS. Wow, this was like a totally different razor. Without the guard, the 1st pass was super smooth. Smoother than the SS. It was the blade just sliding down the skin. I assume it feels a bit smoother because of the little bump around the blade on the SS. The 2nd pass wasn't as smooth, but still much better than before. I think I had a touch of chattering on the neck. So I pulled up from the 3 pass landing on this one and finished up with the RX. My plan was just to try it out once and then get ready to box it up, but I might need another shave or two. Heaven help me, I think this shave showed me how I would probably enjoy a bare naked blade straight razor shave.

Dave, I'm all caught up now. Good reads.

I used the Feather SS (kamisori-style) every single day from December 30th until I got my first straight razor from Larry at Whipped Dog. I used it with Schick Proline blades. It took a couple of weeks, but by the 30th shave or so I was getting really good, trouble-free shaves with the SS. Made me think I could really take to the straight.

When the straight razor came, I was astounded at how different it felt and acted, although I do think the practice with the SS was good for me. I'm still trying to figure out the straight; to me it is much more difficult than the SS. That little rounded portion around the blade is really helpful and makes the SS easier to use, at least for me, especially in the areas of the stubble that are really dense.

Great stuff! Where in napa did you go?! Our personal favorite is Domaine Carneros.

Usually when we go, we spend most of our time on Silverado Trail. We're members of Paraduxx, Black Stallion, Darioush, Quintessa and Conn Creek.
This time we hit Limerick Lane, Banshee and Idlewild in Healdsburg. We're on the allocation list at Limerick Lane, but have never seen the property because it's a little far away from where we need to be usually.
Next day we hit ZD, Paraduxx and a club event at Conn Creek. And Sunday just Krug to see the Napa history there before heading home.

2018 shave #53 (DE:8 SE:21 Str:22 Cart:2)

Feather SS w/ Feather Proguard (9)
Storybook Visions and Revisions
Shawshank Redemption custom w/ tuxedo knot
Witch Hazel & alum
Nivea balm
Storybook Visions and Revisions AS

1st pass went awesome. Very comfortable in hand position and strokes. Decide to go for the full three passes with the SS today. 2nd pass just a little off for some reason. It seemingly easier when I'm using my left hand instead of my right now. Weird. And the last pass was just totally off. ATG on the cheeks wasn't totally smooth. I messed around with some more things to try to get the neck BBS eventually. I think going N-S with better skin stretching might hold the key. It's just remembering things from today to try tomorrow. I had the smarts to stop myself when I found I was starting a clean-up pass with the SS. Guess that's a good sign I might be getting more comfortable with it, but not a smart move if I want to shave again tomorrow.

Top Bottom