What's new

Note to noobs about cheap DE razors

Caveat emptor - buyer beware... You get what you pay for, etc.

I (re)started wet shaving a couple of months ago, and was bitten by the DE razor acquisition bug. I saw the prices of some premium razors, so I decided to get a 'bargain' on AliExpress. I duly ordered a decent looking, well rated, "DSR016" razor for about NZ$14.

Now, the finishing is decent and the feel in the hand is good. There are some great positives - the knurled handle is great with decent heft and balance. The grey chrome has a really attractive satin finish. I shaved with it a few times and can't say it is bad - it was just a bit inconsistent - at times aggressive and others very mild - which I put down to my technique, or lack of it.

Then I bought a 1950's Gillette Tech, and was blown away at the smooth, easy shave, and how consistent it was. I took a closer look at the head and noticed that the blade exposure. bBlow are a couple of pics - the DSR016 and the Tech. Take a look at the lines and how non-parallel they are, and how the blade is visibly more exposed on the left than the right. The cap is also slightly concave rather than straight. I can't measure the tolerances, but if you take a look at the tech head, and how well everything lines up, it isn't any wonder the shave is smooth and consistent.

There may be bargains, but just don't expect anything close to perfection in the bargain basement.
Pics taken on Canon 6DMkII, with EF 100mm f/2.8 macro.

Attachments

• Gillette Tech (Large).JPG
    Gillette Tech (Large).JPG
    367.2 KB · Views: 167
  • Misalignment on Ali Razor (Large).JPG
    Misalignment on Ali Razor (Large).JPG
    240.5 KB · Views: 169

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Blade alignment is a plague in the no name razor. You either end up with a slant style razor where it shouldn’t be or you hit the jackpot and get a decent razor out of the deal.

I had my share of “bad” razors. I still buy a riskier razor once in a while but I read a lot of reviews before I do that.

The vintage Gillette is usually safe if it’s not damaged. There are good modern and cheap razors. But… investing in a proven razor as your first razor will make a huge difference!

AE is fine if you stick to the "name brands." All my Yaqis and DSCosmetics are fine, well-made tools. Shields are also excellent razors. If anything else, you're better off at an online gambling site. Likewise, blades—so far, Suneko and Apache are proving to be outstanding blades. I haven't gotten around to some of the others yet.

Unless it is something that gets discarded or used up quickly; with many things (purchases) in life, it pays to educate oneself and try to evaluate what one is about to purchase.
In other words; one has to do his homework.

Any fool can buy the cheapest or the most expensive (all you have to do is look at the price sticker), but the real wisdom lies in finding the right balance between the costs and the quality one is looking for.

Often one can get something that is much better and lasts much longer by only paying a little more.

I think this is quite obvious, but some people allow themselves to get rushed into purchases.

B.

Phoenix Filament Fakelight is a plastic slant open comb 3 piece razor that's super affordable and shaves great. I'm still experimenting with mine but have found its a better shaver than I could have ever dreamed. Price is right. And it's a slant!

Phoenix Filament Fakelight is a plastic slant open comb 3 piece razor that's super affordable and shaves great. I'm still experimenting with mine but have found its a better shaver than I could have ever dreamed. Price is right. And it's a slant!
When the Halloween ones are rereleased in September, I am buying one of the glow in the dark ones.

Top Bottom