What's new

NOS Eclipse Red Ring Pics

Bravo! I hate when jewels like this end up in a display cabinet, not serving their purpose. Here I see happy razor, and happy user!

She's in the lineup:
proxy.php

You seem to be missing one small tag that would have been located on the or between the adjustment knob and the handle but put it in a new case and you have an NOS set that would be of the envy most collectors.

Hey Paul,

I'm not so sure about the tag. I have not seen a pic yet that showed an early version Red Ring that had that tag on the handle. All the photos I can find only have them on the newer Red Rings.

Hey Paul,

I'm not so sure about the tag. I have not seen a pic yet that showed an early version Red Ring that had that tag on the handle. All the photos I can find only have them on the newer Red Rings.

This could be true, there was also a paper blade I forgot about but again it may have been a later addition.

How does the Eclipse shave compare to your replated Henso Henckels?
I loaded up a fresh Personna Med Prep and shaved with it this morning.
The razor seems deceptively smooth, but as the shave goes on, the aggression comes out.
Have any plans on thinning your American razor collection?

How does the Eclipse shave compare to your replated Henso Henckels?
I loaded up a fresh Personna Med Prep and shaved with it this morning.
The razor seems deceptively smooth, but as the shave goes on, the aggression comes out.
Have any plans on thinning your American razor collection?

With the early Red Ring, if you back off one notch from fully closed, I'd say it's very similar to that Henso. Not that i'd ever go down to only one razor again; but if I did, it would be between the Red Ring or a Deluxe Big Boy, with an ever so slight edge to the Red Ring for the adjustability.

Well done. A little patience, discipline and determination finally got you one. Good on you!
A couple years ago a gent on this forum was kind enough to loan me one. No small feat of trust in that gesture. (I sent him a small appreciative gift back too as one should.)
Anyway, the shave was just too aggressive for me making the shave near impossible. After a few starts days apart I knew within three days this wouldn't be for me. This shave is past 9 on a Fatboy easily. But wow! What a looker it is and truly if I ever come across one I'd definitely keep it in my shave cabinet for posterity. It's that good looking in person.
Congrats!

Anyway, the shave was just too aggressive for me making the shave near impossible. After a few starts days apart I knew within three days this wouldn't be for me. This shave is past 9 on a Fatboy easily. ...

That is an interesting observation. I've had a different experience and would probably characterise my (current) Red Ring as a 7ish +/- BUT in the four I've had there is a noticeable difference in feel and aggressiveness. I know that they are 'adjustable' and in all case this is with them screwed finger tight - but maybe not as jammed tight as they can get. I do wonder if the adjustment approach leads to some variation amongst models and even individual razors.

That is an interesting observation. I've had a different experience and would probably characterise my (current) Red Ring as a 7ish +/- BUT in the four I've had there is a noticeable difference in feel and aggressiveness. I know that they are 'adjustable' and in all case this is with them screwed finger tight - but maybe not as jammed tight as they can get. I do wonder if the adjustment approach leads to some variation amongst models and even individual razors.
I wish I could remember the model number. I do distinctly remember looking closely and the blade extruded past the head by just sa hair. Might as well have been a straight razor then. I changed soaps and tried different angles to no avail. I'll go look for the thread when I have time and report back on the model. I know better than to go from memory.
Good to hear from you Mark. :001_smile

I wish I could remember the model number. I do distinctly remember looking closely and the blade extruded past the head by just sa hair. Might as well have been a straight razor then. I changed soaps and tried different angles to no avail. I'll go look for the thread when I have time and report back on the model. I know better than to go from memory.
Good to hear from you Mark. :001_smile

It might also fall into the YMMV category too!

R

romsitsa

The translucent red ring is quite fantastic. Always wondered what the arrow on the handle marked, so thank you for sharing the manual. Never thought that Eclipses were adjustables.

Adam

Top Bottom