What's new

Noob thoughts and questions

Hi guys,

So after a few weeks of reading deciding to take the plunge here.

A little about me:
I have semi sensitive skin, mostly in grown hairs.
I currently use a mach5

Pre shave- never used oils but have a good scrub that works.

Shave- i tried proraso, i liked how it felt, but my skin broke out. Whats works best is Kiehls brushless for me.

Post shave- I use some light lotion that works for now.

Need help:

Pre-shave- is an oil a must with a DE or SE?

Shave: whats a good, ethically sourced, badger hair brush? Not over $100 if possible.

Razor: I am leaning towards a general v2 based on reviews but also considering schick injector. Which is better for a noob? Schick has bad reviews on Amazon, whats a better place to buy? Did it miss a preferred vendor section?

Blade: proline seem good? I am also confused when people talk about two blades, do you guys change the blade mid shave? Or just comparing different shaves? Not sure if its like a blade for with and one for against the grain.

Post shave- any preferred post shave rituals? I remember my grandfather always using an alum. But if not a good post shave balm?

Thanks!

Welcome to the best source for shaving info. I’m not nearly as knowledgeable as some, but here are my thoughts.

Oil or preshave. I don’t use. Most don’t. Personal choice.

Brush. With sensitive skin, I’d suggest a synthetic. Lots of good ones around. Take a look in the Shaving Brushes forum.

Razor. I’m partial to Gillette vintage. A Tech would be a great first. Mild and sturdy.

Blade. You’d think that “a blade’s a blade“, but lots of variations and very personal. Suggest an assortment pack with minimum of 6-10 blades to try.

Post shave. Alum, witch hazel, balm, AS. Lots of combinations. Try all or none or combinations.

You’re going to find that everyone’s different. Many choices, but you have to find you’re own set up that’s best for your skin. You’ll see YMMV.

Good luck.

Pre-shave - never used one. A good soap can give you a nice, slick shave. Arko and Tabac, for example. Lots of others. I always start with a sponge & hot water, and give my stubble a really good soaking to soften it up.

Brush: I'd recommend a synthetic from AP shaves. Can't remember offhand which is the softest. Cashmere?

Razor: any popular mild razor. I love the Merkur open-combs (all have the same head). Open combs never seem to choke up with long hair. Can slice through 2-week growth like it wasn't there but still a mild, drama-free shave.

Blade: a sample pack with Derby Extra, Astra Superior Platinum, Astra Superior Stainless, Gillette Nacet. These cover a range from mild to sharp, in order. Nacets work best for me but you should experiment a bit.

Post shave - after shave occasionally. Mostly just cold water. Alum is really good for closing up any cuts. Cold water will help to do that too. Sometimes alum can irritate the skin.

In general, just experiment as much as you can and see what works for you. Everyone has different hair type, skin sensitivity, etc.

Pre-shave: no, not required. Many use, many don’t. I use a preshave oil.

Brush: I’d agree maybe synthetic is a good idea. A brush no one else but me seems to have is the Viking White Knight ($32 on Amazon) and I think it’s wonderful. Otherwise Razorock and Yaqi are popular affordable brands.

Razor: Merkur 34c, gamchanger .68, Rockwell 6c, and Karve are all great options for you.

Blade: get yourself a blade sample pack on Amazon and do a little experimentation. My favorites are Astra SP and Nacet.

Post Shave: check out Lucky Tiger. Nice nourishing post Shave with a touch of mandarin or tangerine smell.
Welcome!

Ok ordering now, any recommended vendors on or off Amazon for blades and razors? I looked at our marketplace but not a dedicated trusted vendor thread

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
Agree with Ed on this

I don't use pre-shave
As for a brush synthetics are great and way more ethical than the most ethically sourced badger.
For a razor as long as it has a closed comb and isn't too aggressive it will.be fine. You may not want to spend a fortune on your first razor, Edwin Jagger and Muhle make some good entry level razors. If you are anything like most of us it won't be your only razor for long
Blades are important and not every blade works in ever razor so try a bunch, I'm still trying new blades
As for post shave I sometimes use alum, rosewater or witchhazel.
You are just at the beginning so enjoy the journey

I don't use preshave oils as I've not found them to improve my shaves at all, and the only post shave I use is an alum block.

I'm a strong believer that if you have a really good soap, you shouldn't need a post or preshave other than hot water and maybe an alum block.

If your skin is sensitive, get a synthetic. Simpson T2 is a fine brush for like 22 bucks. Or the Duke/chubby synthetics from simpson if you want to spend closer to 70-100 bucks. Yaqi makes terrific synthetics, too for ten bucks and less.

Buy a sample pack of blades and see what you like. I personally like Gillette Super Stainless (Greens) or Astra SP

Tryablade.com is a good place to order blade samples. Everything else you need you can get at Maggards.com

I don't use preshave oils as I've not found them to improve my shaves at all, and the only post shave I use is an alum block.

I'm a strong believer that if you have a really good soap, you shouldn't need a post or preshave other than hot water and maybe an alum block.

If your skin is sensitive, get a synthetic. Simpson T2 is a fine brush for like 22 bucks. Or the Duke/chubby synthetics from simpson if you want to spend closer to 70-100 bucks. Yaqi makes terrific synthetics, too for ten bucks and less.

Buy a sample pack of blades and see what you like. I personally like Gillette Super Stainless (Greens) or Astra SP

Tryablade.com is a good place to order blade samples. Everything else you need you can get at Maggards.com

Thank you this is very helpful

Welcome to B&B.
You don't need a pre-shave treatment if you have a good lather. Proraso do a sensitive soap version so I am not sure which you used; eucalyptus or sandalwood maybe.
Worth trying Cella soap as it is readily available and easy to lather.
Good badger hair brushes available from China mainly but worth considering a good boar hair brush. The Omega Pro {10049} is very competively priced and popular.
Nivea do a good post shave balm and it is readily available.

Thanks is a single edge better than a double for a newbie?

Probably not. Most start with a double edge razor. Single edge blades are thicker and less flexible making them less forgiving. The advice above to start with a Gillette Tech is very good. These are vintage razors and very easy to get hold of but if you'd prefer to buy a new razor RazoRock make a clone called the Teck. It's very reasonably priced and the same general design so it shaves in a similar way.

Ok ordering now, any recommended vendors on or off Amazon for blades and razors? I looked at our marketplace but not a dedicated trusted vendor thread

Depends where you're based. In the US and Canada Maggards Razors would be the first go to supplier for many. In the UK or EU Connaught Shaving are great. Many from the US order from there also. Of course there are many other great vendors if you look around a bit online. Tryablade are excellent for trying a variety of razor blades, the only way to find out which ones will suit you. They sell them singly and in larger quantities. When it comes to soap and brushes? The worlds your oyster.

Ingrown hairs are caused by multi-blade cartridges. The first blade tugs the hair out above the skin line and subsequent blades cut the hair and then the hair drops below the skin line. Those hairs can become ingrown. My advice is to use a double edge or single edge razor and make sure you stretch the skin. Stretching the skin allows the razor to glide over the skin without snagging. There are lots of youtubes that explain stretching techniques. Good luck.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Welcome. I am a firm believer in hot water, with or without a washcloth, as a fine preshave routine. It sounds like a synthetic badger type brush will be good for you. I have heard good things about Simpsons, but I have never tried one. Others who have will weigh in. The gentlest DE combination I have found is an Edwin Jagger DE89 with a Personna Israeli red or a Crystal. As to soaps, etc. you might try a cream. It does not seem the scent ought to affect its shaving qualities. Two I have found very lubricating are Art of Shaving and Taylor of Old Bond Street. The AOS was downright luxurious, but it was pricey.

I would scroll through "What did you use today?" to start triangulating things.

Welcome to B&B!!!
If you happen to live in the Continental USA go check out my "newbie blade PIF" thread!!!! Its in this same newbie forum
Lots of great info here!!! Lots of great people to give that info!!!

Edwin Jagger de89 or merkur 34c are great starter razors.
As are Gillette tech or Superspeed vintage razors.

Hi guys,

So after a few weeks of reading deciding to take the plunge here.

A little about me:
I have semi sensitive skin, mostly in grown hairs.
I currently use a mach5

Pre shave- never used oils but have a good scrub that works.

Shave- i tried proraso, i liked how it felt, but my skin broke out. Whats works best is Kiehls brushless for me.

Post shave- I use some light lotion that works for now.

Need help:

Pre-shave- is an oil a must with a DE or SE?
No. Some people like it, others don't. Their are also some creams, like Proraso, that some like. It is something you might try and see if it helps, but a LOT of people don't see the need.

Shave: whats a good, ethically sourced, badger hair brush? Not over $100 if possible.
The only ethically sourced natural hair brush are horse hair.

Razor: I am leaning towards a general v2 based on reviews but also considering schick injector. Which is better for a noob? Schick has bad reviews on Amazon, whats a better place to buy? Did it miss a preferred vendor section?
I use a vintage Schick and haven't tried the general v2, so can't offer advise on this

Blade: proline seem good? I am also confused when people talk about two blades, do you guys change the blade mid shave? Or just comparing different shaves? Not sure if its like a blade for with and one for against the grain.
They make injector blades that actually have two blades, they will have in their name "twin blade". I haven't tried them.

Post shave- any preferred post shave rituals? I remember my grandfather always using an alum. But if not a good post shave balm?

Thanks!
Depends on your face. If oily, alum, splash, or witch hazel could be good. If dry, a balm, or conditioned Witch hazel like Thayers or Lucky Tiger could be good. Or a combination of several of the above.

Top Bottom