What's new

Noob Advice Needed

So I've been using a DE since Christmas. I did alot of research but for some reason never considered a straight. I've come to my senses and I am ready to take the plunge into manhood.

I am actually glad I took the intial step of converting to DE because it took me a good 3 weeks to figure out how to make a good lather (I listened to my wife :w00t:): keep adding water and do it in a bowl not on my face. I also learned the importance of angle and no pressure.

I was thinking I want to start out with a Double Arrow from ruprazor. Actually I am sure about that. Just not so sure about the stroping situation. I was thinking of starting with a Tony Miller red latiago starter strop. I want to avoid anything to do with honing to start with as I am one to overdo things and I am sure I will damage a perfectly good edge due to my over excitement. So hoping to get to that stage eventually but just not right now.

I've searched and I am overwhelmed with all the info. What's the deal with the pasted strop? I need someone to break down the stroping/honing thing for me to a kindergarten level. What setup do I need to keep a razor shave ready as long as possible without an advanced skill level required?

What I am looking for is not necessarily ease just minimized maintenance that takes any real skill and I am on a budget. So I guess my questions are:

1) If I am going to get one strop that will do it all to begin with will the red latiago starter work?

2) Do I need to get a pasted strop/ everyday strop combo? What would that be? Does Tony have something like that?

3) I know YMMV but what is the average schedule saying I get a shave ready razor and treat it right everday? How often would I need to bring the edge back on the pasted strop? Shooting for sending it out for honing 6-9 months. Would I be able to keep the edge that long?

1. Get a Tony Miller. There is absolutely no rational for considering anything else. His are the best by a large margin. Add a practice strop when ordering to use to learn how to strop. Otherwise it really, really sucks when you slice a big chunk out of a beautiful piece of latigo or horsehide.

2. You don't need a pasted strop at first. Only when the edge begins to fade do you need one. Tony does sell a variety of paddle strops and abrasive compounds (diamond) with which to paste them.

3. No idea how long before an edge will need refreshing. I have too many straights to know from experience. I have read that it is as few as 15 shaves before needing a touch up. If you use the pasted strops to touch up the edge before it gets too dull, you can go quite some time between honing.

I just bought a razor and strop from Ken this week and it sounds like his "El Toro" strop is exactly what you're looking for. It's made from cowhide tooling leather, the reverse of which is treated with chromium oxide and comes with an attached canvas strop.

You would need to strop before (and some say after) every shave. Every other shave or so, you'd make a few round trips on the rough side of the leather that's treated with the chromium oxide to keep the blade shave ready between honings which could conceivably be every six months or so depending on how often you shave and beard thickness.

Welcome to straight shaving and watch out for RAD!

I went ahead and got a Wapienica from Ken. Seemed like a better choice than the DA. I've got a better handle on the whole stroping and honing thing but what's this I've been reading about letting the edge "grow" back on a couple sites. They seem to be advocating not stroping regularly at all and rotating razors? I know it's pretty much personal preference but the general rule would be what? Strop before and after or just one or the other. Which one? Maybe there should be a poll for that. I'm starting to get the feeling this is more art than science...

Thanks for all the info by the way. Seems quite trite but it can't go without mentioning.

Good call on the Wapi. They shave quite well.

I too have seen that nonsense about letting the edge rest for a few days between shaves. Something about giving the edge time to recover its pre-use shape, correct? Did I mention that I think it is nonsense? Unless SWMBO is asking, in which case a straight needs to be rested for 14 days - minimum - between shaves.

I have been using a DE for a few months now and I too am very interested in a straight. Who is this ken you are talking about? The Wapienica sounds like a good razor to get started. Thanks!

I have been using a DE for a few months now and I too am very interested in a straight. Who is this ken you are talking about? The Wapienica sounds like a good razor to get started. Thanks!

Ken owns www.ruprazor.com. He carries new and restored straight razors, strops and other wet shaving supplies. Great to do business with!

They seem to be advocating not stroping regularly at all and rotating razors? I know it's pretty much personal preference but the general rule would be what? Strop before and after or just one or the other. Which one?

Resting razor theory is probably true at a microscopic level if you talk to a genuine metallurgist, but for all us normal people the general consensus it to not worry about it. You definitely do need to be stropping on plain leather before every shave. It may be helpful to strop between passes on the same shave. After each shave won’t make much difference because you are going to be stropping before the next shave – especially needed if that edge actually does ‘reset’ itself over it’s rest.

Top Bottom