What's new

Non shaving day depression.

I have 2 razors that are used depending on my location. When I am home I use my Parker Variant but when I am on shift at the fire station I use my handle converted Merkur 23C. I love having my time in the morning no matter were I am at to get in a 1-3 pass shave depending on my time. I shaved on Sunday with the Parker at home on setting 2, everything was great. I got up this morning to conduct my normal routine but I didn't have enough stubble to feel a shave would do any good. It really through me off my daily routine. I didn't get to indulge in my tobacco scented soaps and AS which I can get a whiff of throughout my day. I really feel depressed about not shaving but didn't think my growth warranted it. I am not sure if using the parker on setting 2 along and or a very slow facial hair growth caused my issues this morning. I unfortunately didn't inherit my dad's facial hair growth. If he skipped shaving for 2 weeks he looked like Grizzly Adams.

Just my rant/vent of the day.

not to fret!
all of us have had many, many no-shave days!
actually, i'm averaging only three shaves/week, fwiw!

Thanks for your service as a fire fighter!!

no shaves.jpg

Because my DEs give such close shaves, it is not worthwhile to shave every day. I would just be dragging a razor across skin that would very much like an additional day to recover.

My problem is the shower. See, I've come to see the shower as prep for the shave, rather than an activity that has value in and of itself. So if I'm not ready for a shave, I am inclined to postpone the shower until I AM shavable.

But I am curious. Has anyone at the station noticed your unusual shave gear? I was out of the Army by the time I took up DE wetshaving, so I can only wonder what the reaction in the barracks would've been had I lathered with a brush and whipped out the Merkur Futur.

Consider, for a moment, a day when you do a 3-pass shave. I suspect that the second and third passes take off very little hair, probably less than the stubble you had 24 hours after a very close shave.
If some days are worth 3 passes, then any day should justify at least a 1 pass shave; plus, that 1 pass will prevent stubble or shadow later in the day.

I always shave in the morning. It is what gets me out of bed since it a hobby of mine. I love the change of scents each morning from my zillion English and Italian shave creams. Always a 3-pass shave. A one pass would drive me crazy...:c9:

It's funny this popped up now. I shave every day usually but didn't this morning because I had an early appointment and also thought it time to give my face a break, which I do about once a month. I really don't like the stubble at all and can't wait to shave tomorrow. But it gives me something to look forward to. :smile:

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
@scribble , you’ve got arms, legs, a belly, and a back don’t you? Probably a scalp, too?

You can shave e’eryday even if it ain’t your face and neck.

Here’s hoping friends, family, and colleagues don’t inquire why the tops of your feet are shining in the daylight and smell vaguely of tobacco.

Because my DEs give such close shaves, it is not worthwhile to shave every day. I would just be dragging a razor across skin that would very much like an additional day to recover.

My problem is the shower. See, I've come to see the shower as prep for the shave, rather than an activity that has value in and of itself. So if I'm not ready for a shave, I am inclined to postpone the shower until I AM shavable.

But I am curious. Has anyone at the station noticed your unusual shave gear? I was out of the Army by the time I took up DE wetshaving, so I can only wonder what the reaction in the barracks would've been had I lathered with a brush and whipped out the Merkur Futur.
I have some members that know my shaving style and others would have no clue what I’m doing. We have 4 separate bath/shower rooms so no one watch's me go through my routine. I did have to make some trades to be able to attend the Maggard Meetup so it was interesting telling people I need time off for shaving. I got lots of puzzled looks

I have some members that know my shaving style and others would have no clue what I’m doing. We have 4 separate bath/shower rooms so no one watch's me go through my routine. I did have to make some trades to be able to attend the Maggard Meetup so it was interesting telling people I need time off for shaving. I got lots of puzzled looks
Four bathrooms and you've got to make trade-offs to go to a Maggard Meet!? You sound like Jeff Bezos.

I wish every day was a no shave day.

I'd rather be sleeping, eating, watching tv, picking up dog poo, you get the idea.

In the abstract, yes...I kind of get this. Like if a laser could destroy every beard follicle. Like If I just turned my whole yard into a Japanese rock garden. No more mowing the grass.

But I find the post-shower shave is the closest I get to meditation. While I do it, I don't think about bills or money or having to eat SPAM in my retirement or anything other than what I am doing at precisely that moment. I look forward to that.

I've come to accept my skin really needs 2 days of recovery/growth so I have been shaving every 3 days, but totally feel you when it comes to non-shave days feeling "off". It's just such a mood booster for me, wish it could be more often/every day!

It's funny this popped up now. I shave every day usually but didn't this morning because I had an early appointment and also thought it time to give my face a break, which I do about once a month. I really don't like the stubble at all and can't wait to shave tomorrow. But it gives me something to look forward to. :smile:
Tomorrow morning can't come too fast. :lol1:

Top Bottom