What's new

No shower in three days

I'm one of the unlucky ones that live in central Texas. I am lucky to have no interruptions to my power service but no luck with water. This is the longest I've been without a shave or shower. I last shaved on Friday morning before work. Tomorrow will be my one week of not shaving. I can hardly stand the way my neck feels. The hair on my cheeks are starting to get softer so that's not to bad.

The one saving grace is that we did have over a foot of snow (plenty of water). San Antonio doesn't do well in snow. They closed most of the roadways and if you could get to the store, the lines are long and shelves empty. We were able to melt snow for toilet flushing and boiled enough to wash with. I had a few cases of water on hand so that helped. We also just happened to go shopping two days prior so groceries are fine.

I know most of the country and Europeans think a foot of snow is nothing. This state was not ready for this. I've lived in Germany, Alaska and Denver but never seen outages like this.

To all having to endure this storm, be safe, hang in there, and hope all is well.

Pete

I feel for you Brother. I live in NE Oklahoma and understand how a storm like this could be crippling to Texas. Little if any snow and ice equipment to treat and clear roads. Electric power down due to snapped power lines.

I realize that many are blaming Texas’ commitment to wind energy, but the power grid in Texas is connected to the power grid in Oklahoma, New Mexico and Louisiana. There is plenty of power available, but if the distribution system is broken you can’t get it where it needs to go. Ice and wind are power lines worst enemy. In 2011, we had a horrific ice storm that snapped power lines throughout Eastern Oklahoma. We had plenty of power generation capacity, but with down lines, it cannot get to the consumers.

So yes, I get what you are going through and my heart goes out to you. But for a quirk of fate, that ice could have come through here and I could be the one without a shower.

We lost power for 42 hours, but kept water. Now we are on rolling blackouts that last an hour. It’s getting better.

I got to shower at home and had a proper shave this morning for the 1st time since Monday. Felt like a king!

It’s hard to explain how dangerous this has been in Houston. Our houses are not set up for the cold without power. Hurricanes and heat, yes; but not cold.

A pro tip from Sweden: Heat up the sauna, sit for a 10 minutes to get a layer of sweat going. Go outside and roll around in the snow. Make sure to really massage some snow into your hair. Get back inside, put some snow on the stones to get the steam thick. Whip yourself with birch twigs all over your body. Rinse and repeat.

You could also try the "bada isvak" morning routine, works like a charm, no running water needed.

BTW, shaving while in the isvak is a great alternative to cold water shaving. However, I recommend limiting the number of passes and be quick about it, since technique will start to deteriorate once you can no longer feel your fingers.

Last edited:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
no luck with water. This is the longest I've been without a shave or shower.
1613760324279.png

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
A pro tip from Sweden: Heat up the sauna, sit for a 10 minutes to get a layer of sweat going. Go outside and roll around in the snow. Make sure to really massage some snow into your hair. Get back inside, put some snow on the stones to get the steam thick. Whip yourself with birch twigs all over your body. Rinse and repeat.

You could also try the "bada isvak" morning routine, works like a charm, no running water needed.

BTW, shaving while in the isvak is a great alternative to cold water shaving. However, I recommend limiting the number of passes and be quick about it, since technique will start to deteriorate once you can no longer feel your fingers.
Hmm I hope the people without power don’t miss out on this one
I feel for you Brother. I live in NE Oklahoma and understand how a storm like this could be crippling to Texas. Little if any snow and ice equipment to treat and clear roads. Electric power down due to snapped power lines.

I realize that many are blaming Texas’ commitment to wind energy, but the power grid in Texas is connected to the power grid in Oklahoma, New Mexico and Louisiana. There is plenty of power available, but if the distribution system is broken you can’t get it where it needs to go. Ice and wind are power lines worst enemy. In 2011, we had a horrific ice storm that snapped power lines throughout Eastern Oklahoma. We had plenty of power generation capacity, but with down lines, it cannot get to the consumers.

So yes, I get what you are going through and my heart goes out to you. But for a quirk of fate, that ice could have come through here and I could be the one without a shower.
I thought it wasn’t connected

Hope you Texans get sorted quickly and safely. Extreme weather conditions can be challenging when homes and infrastructure are designed to cope, and social support systems are prepared and experienced enough to manage, but when it’s out of the ordinary, it’s a huge task.

It goes to show that we take nature for granted at our peril!

Be safe and stay well!

I realize that many are blaming Texas’ commitment to wind energy, but the power grid in Texas is connected to the power grid in Oklahoma, New Mexico and Louisiana.

I do not at all think wind energy is to blame for Texas problems. Wind and most renewable energy always needs fossil fuel (or, I suppose to some extent, nuclear, but not really), back up. But prudence dictates that backup should be in place regardless of weather. But that issue aside, the ERCOT grid, which covers some 90% of Texas is definitely intentionally not connected to the power grid in any other state. Could it be? Sure. Could it quickly be? Perhaps. But is it definitely not connected now.

I sympathize with those in Texas. No power brings back bad memories for my wife and I. With Hurricane Irene in 2011, we were without power for 40+ hours. We were on well water, but even with no well pump at least our above ground pool provided water for flushing toilets. We lost the food in the fridge, but our biggest concern was having no sump pump with a finished basement. The neighbor behind me back-fed his generator into his house and we ran 100+ feet of extension cords to get enough power to run our sump pump enough to prevent our basement from flooding. The neighbors along side of us had a foot of water in their basements and lost their heating systems. After Irene, I got a Honda generator and had a transfer switch installed to power the sump pump, well pump, fridge, furnace and other needed outlets (coffee pot). In 2012, we had Sandy and had no power for 9 days in cold weather. I failed to stockpile enough gas to power the generator 24/7, so we ran it 3 hours on and off. My daughter, her husband and her MIL would come over in the morning to warm up and have breakfast and hot coffee. We sold the house last December and left the generator and transfer switch for the new owners.

I always wanted a pickup. Now in my 70s and having never owned a Ford vehicle, this Ford truck is now #1 on my buy list if I can ever afford it.

Last edited:
I do not at all think wind energy is to blame for Texas problems. Wind and most renewable energy always needs fossil fuel (or, I suppose to some extent, nuclear, but not really), back up. But prudence dictates that backup should be in place regardless of weather. But that issue aside, the ERCOT grid, which covers some 90% of Texas is definitely intentionally not connected to the power grid in any other state. Could it be? Sure. Could it quickly be? Perhaps. But is it definitely not connected now.

I thought the entire nation was interconnected so that companies generating a surplus of electrical energy could sell it to the companies that don’t have enough, or are in a state of emergency that is limiting their ability to produce power.

Shame on ERCOT for being so short sighted. From what I read, they did this to avoid Federal regulation?

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I thought the entire nation was interconnected so that companies generating a surplus of electrical energy could sell it to the companies that don’t have enough, or are in a state of emergency that is limiting their ability to produce power.

Shame on ERCOT for being so short sighted. From what I read, they did this to avoid Federal regulation?
Yup
And we’re hearing about astronomical power bills coming now. Hope this isn’t the case.
btw excellent idea about melting snow for water.

I'm one of the unlucky ones that live in central Texas. I am lucky to have no interruptions to my power service but no luck with water. This is the longest I've been without a shave or shower. I last shaved on Friday morning before work. Tomorrow will be my one week of not shaving. I can hardly stand the way my neck feels. The hair on my cheeks are starting to get softer so that's not to bad.

The one saving grace is that we did have over a foot of snow (plenty of water). San Antonio doesn't do well in snow. They closed most of the roadways and if you could get to the store, the lines are long and shelves empty. We were able to melt snow for toilet flushing and boiled enough to wash with. I had a few cases of water on hand so that helped. We also just happened to go shopping two days prior so groceries are fine.

I know most of the country and Europeans think a foot of snow is nothing. This state was not ready for this. I've lived in Germany, Alaska and Denver but never seen outages like this.

To all having to endure this storm, be safe, hang in there, and hope all is well.

Pete
Places like Texas and Florida don't have the built-up infrastructure for dealing with these events. I have a cousin living in Houston. He was born and raised in Kearney, NE so is very used to dealing with ice, snow, and what not. But when your plumbing wasn't installed with the idea it's going to get below 0 at least several times a year, problems start. When you don't already have a fleet of plows and 100 tons of road salt, you start at a disadvantage.

Where I am, the big problem is keeping the bottom of the driveway clear after the plow comes buy. All the snow I shoveled tends to be pushed back.

Thank your lucky stars. Here in the UK a weak frost brings most of the country to a standstill. So keep up your spirits it will get sorted.

Showered yesterday with a small stream of water......4days. Power was gone....; but it's back. For Ike I survived 16d w NO power but temps were 85-95..... now 8-33.....
Here is the funny, not funny thing: I have 2 electric shavers that are rechargeable....I decided to check em ....NO charge....maybe a blessing..... Cold water face shave last nite.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Places like Texas and Florida don't have the built-up infrastructure for dealing with these events. I have a cousin living in Houston. He was born and raised in Kearney, NE so is very used to dealing with ice, snow, and what not. But when your plumbing wasn't installed with the idea it's going to get below 0 at least several times a year, problems start. When you don't already have a fleet of plows and 100 tons of road salt, you start at a disadvantage.

Where I am, the big problem is keeping the bottom of the driveway clear after the plow comes buy. All the snow I shoveled tends to be pushed back.
Once in my life I was out there and the plow turned his plow blade just slightly as he approached my driveway. He gave me a nod as he went by. And like magic there was no giant snow bank pushed into my driveway opening. I was grateful but can’t help but thinking why they can’t do that more often.
Showered yesterday with a small stream of water......4days. Power was gone....; but it's back. For Ike I survived 16d w NO power but temps were 85-95..... now 8-33.....
Here is the funny, not funny thing: I have 2 electric shavers that are rechargeable....I decided to check em ....NO charge....maybe a blessing..... Cold water face shave last nite.
Oh dear no. This is getting so bad to drive you to an electric razor. Noooooo

I know this doesn't help those in Texas now but advancements in BEV (Battery Electric Vehicle technology) is going to be a game changer for power outages. Not discounting the personal tragedies but Texans will be fine. They've been through worse.

With Bi-directional charging/power conversion, we'll be able to use the battery packs in our cars to power the house in the event of a power outage. A household with 2 BEVs will have anywhere from 150~200KW of power in their cars. The average US household consumes ~30KW/day. With carful use for necessities (fridge, heat, lighting, wifi 😁😁), we'll be able to hold out for a week or more.

Some Texans have already done this in a manner of speaking with the generator built into the 2021 F150.

Hyundai is set to reveal the Ioniq 5 and their E-GMP platform. This will be the first, mass market BEV with these capabilities. The teaser shows the outlet in the car but with Bi-Directional charging, it'll be seamlessly integrated via the charger with a transfer switch. At least that's the idea.

Top Bottom