What's new

No coti, instead I settled for a....

Naniwa 12K to replace the C12K. I already have a set of Nortons, which I like, and figured being new to honing it would be beneficial to my honing experiance not to mix it up to fast.

The reviews I have read have been positive so I figured it would be hard to go wrong with this pick.

Imo, the naniwa 12k gives a harsh edge and ends up with microchipping...just my 2cents.

I finish with naniwa 12 and strop on a heavily-pasted (cerium) horsehide and get pretty good results. I haven't experienced any micro-chipping. At least not yet. I've only honed a dozen or so.

What I meant to say is I find that edge harsh on my face from the get go and it becomes fragile and breaks down after using the blade, more so than when I use my Escher, Coticule, Jnat, etc.

With all that I have read, and it was a lot, the Naniwa 12k got some really good reviews. I read a ton of posts, here and elsewhere, and can't say I ran across the micro chipping issue. This is the first I have heard of it.

What I meant to say is I find that edge harsh on my face from the get go and it becomes fragile and breaks down after using the blade, more so than when I use my Escher, Coticule, Jnat, etc.

Thanks for the clarification, Nick - that is what I thought you meant.

With all that I have read, and it was a lot, the Naniwa 12k got some really good reviews. I read a ton of posts, here and elsewhere, and can't say I ran across the micro chipping issue. This is the first I have heard of it.

It gets great reviews and for good reason - it is a great finishing hone. :thumbup1: Personally, I didn't have any issues with micro-chipping.

My issues with the stone are merely personal preference and not to stop anyone from considering it for their own finisher. I probably just prefer natural finishers since they're softer to my skin.
From what I've heard from others that share my experience with the 12k is the 10k is rather preferred instead.

U

Utopian

When you hone on the 12k and end up with microchipping, how many laps do you do on the 12k?

The only way to find out is to try it. This may be your honing set up for life. I am currently experimenting with a bunch of coticules next i may try to find an Escher to play around with. As i found out with honing, everybody is different. Let us know how it goes, if it works out for you i may make the Naniwa my next finisher.

There is a few experienced honers that claims that the 10K SS Naniwa is superior to the 12K. Also that the 10K Chosera is faster & excellent for tool, knifes & such, but doesn't polish nearly as well as the 10K SS.
I wouldn't bring it up if I hadn't heard it from guys I know have a solid reputation.

However, I have no experience from this myself.
I only have the 10K SS & I must say that you can easily shave right after finishing on that one.

If you search around the forum abit I bet you will find a couple of threads were this is discussed.

That said, there is also a bunch of guys that are evry happy with the Naniwa 12K as a finisher.

I guess it's another case of gas mileage fluctuation.

I got the Naniwa in today. It was super easy to lap, I used 320 wet/dry sandpaper then went to 600 wet/dry. I bet it didn't take but 5 to 10 minutes. It certainly wasn't flat by no means.

The first thing I did was to take a Morley razor I've been having trouble with and put it to the Naniwa for 20 laps. I then did 50 laps on leather alone and shaved. At first I wasn't to sure of the results as the razor seemed so smooth I wasn't sure if it was cutting. Well, it was. It did a fine job on the hard to finish razor and made it a usable unit.

Far to early for any real judgment but at first glance it seems to be a nice stone.

I got the Naniwa in today. It was super easy to lap, I used 320 wet/dry sandpaper then went to 600 wet/dry. I bet it didn't take but 5 to 10 minutes. It certainly wasn't flat by no means.

The first thing I did was to take a Morley razor I've been having trouble with and put it to the Naniwa for 20 laps. I then did 50 laps on leather alone and shaved. At first I wasn't to sure of the results as the razor seemed so smooth I wasn't sure if it was cutting. Well, it was. It did a fine job on the hard to finish razor and made it a usable unit.

Far to early for any real judgment but at first glance it seems to be a nice stone.

Where did you buy the hone from?

Top Bottom