What's new

No 2 bottles of Tobasco are created equal

Rather that just telling you why or how I know, I must also include the story as to how I found this secret information.

Last yr over the xmas holidays I took the family on a traveling vacation. I ended up in Show Low Az of all places over New Years eve. While hotel living can be fun, the continental breakfasts are never my thing. I have to have pork and eggs in some form or another.
Leaving the wife and daughter to sleep the morning away I did what I always do and go out searching for the local greasy spoon cafe to get a hot meal. I found what is typical in small towns. An older home 2 blocks from main street that was converted to a diner. I was the first one in the door as the waitress unlocked it and got the first cup of joe from the first pot. Without looking at the menu, I told her what I wanted and if she could provide it. No problem at all.
When my food arrived she saw me do a quick scan of the table and without hesitation she asks "Do you need some Tobasco?" and I replied "Of course!" Then she asks do you wat the hot stuff or mild? I combined my response with a stupified look. "Tobasco is Tobasco, its all the same." Then she proceed to explain to me she used to purchase Tobasco from a traveling sales rep for the company. He relayed to her that when the company buys the chilies and coks them down that there are many variables in them that affect their strength. Time of yr they were harvested, drought conditions, etc., and there is no way they could control the heat of the pepper when all of the variables are taken into account. So their manufacturing process is always the same, yet they identify the strength or level of heat by placing a number on the bottom of the bottle. The higher the number, the hotter the sauce. The waitress proceeded to seek out a bottle in the 30s and one in it's teens, and I could tell a difference right then and there.
Since that breakfast I have been sure to screen my bottles for the hottest stuff choosing the highest numbers while still in the grocery store. I have no other diffinitive proof other than my mouth, but I thought I would pass then on to my fellow friends on this forum to verify for themselves.

Try for yourself!

...they identify the strength or level of heat by placing a number on the bottom of the bottle. The higher the number, the hotter the sauce. The waitress proceeded to seek out a bottle in the 30s and one in it's teens, and I could tell a difference right then and there...
Try for yourself!

I have noticed a difference in heat between bottles, too. But what causes it could be anything -- from the vintage of the peppers to to storage length before being shelved to how much light/heat the bottle sees, to how long it's been open.
however, as far as the bottle number being the key, McIlhenny Co. says in the FAQ on their website:

What do the numbers on the bottom of the bottle represent?

The numbers stamped on the bottom of the bottle refer to the mold number from which that particular glass bottle was made.

(http://www.tabasco.com/mcilhenny-company/faqs-archives/#numbers-on-bottom)

I think if they WERE to rate the bottles for potency, that it would be an awesome marketing tool -- everyone could seek out the heat they liked best, form incendiary to mild.

The numbers indicating the manufacturing die used makes much more sense than an alleged heat level.

If that story is true, that's some pretty crummy QC on their part. They can measure scoville units all day long after the fact but not during the creation process? My skeptical senses are tingling on this one.

I give merit to langod for finding the info about the mfr reasons the numbers are there. I belive the reason I gave so much credence to the waitress' story is this;
If you were to boil up and puree down a batch of chilies for hot sauce, and measured the scoville units, how would you then raise or lower the (heat)level without diluting it down or making it too thick? I suppose I am stuck on the fact that the mfr wants to keep the liquid consistency the same while allowing the scoville units to rise and fall where they may knowing its easier to control the liquid consistency rather than the scoville units?

Here I thought I was onto a company trade secret and uncovered a conspiracy some didnt consider.

I give merit to langod for finding the info about the mfr reasons the numbers are there. I belive the reason I gave so much credence to the waitress' story is this;
If you were to boil up and puree down a batch of chilies for hot sauce, and measured the scoville units, how would you then raise or lower the (heat)level without diluting it down or making it too thick? I suppose I am stuck on the fact that the mfr wants to keep the liquid consistency the same while allowing the scoville units to rise and fall where they may knowing its easier to control the liquid consistency rather than the scoville units?

Here I thought I was onto a company trade secret and uncovered a conspiracy some didnt consider.

I think there ARE differences between batches. I've occasionally gotten bottles that seemed to be noticeably hotter or milder than I expected. Undoubtedly there's a "spec" somewhere in the company that gives a range of accepted Scoville values when testing a batch. I would assume that they adjust batches that need it by adding hotter or milder sauce from existing batches. Kinda like how whiskey is blended.

Last edited:
I also am somewhat convinced that there are variations in Tabasco. The Tabasco of a couple decades ago seemed far hotter (and more flavorful) to me than the Tabasco of today. Part of this could be due to my aging tastebuds, or false memories on my part, but I remain pretty sure that Tabasco has changed from what I remember from the '80s.

I would suspect that there is some variability between batches, just a matter of degree. But the numbers on the bottom of the bottles have nothing to do w/ it.

I doubt McIlhenny makes their own bottles let alone sort thru stacks of them to individually match the right number at the bottom w/ a measured heat level.

I love their garlic hot sauce, but have a hard time finding it in the stores near me. Every other type is readily available, just that one seems to be scarce.

It takes 3 years to make Tobasco. They harvest the chilis, mash, salt them, and store them in oak barrels for 3 years before adding the vinegar, and bottling. With any chili, heat will vary due to weather, soil, etc.. I have had jalapenos that were like Bell peppers heat wise, and some that were hotter than serranos. I would suspect that Tobasco is very concerned about one batch being as close to the next as possible.

Try contacting them directly www.tobasco.com

Well that makes a lot more sense to me....

I think there ARE differences between batches. I've occasionally gotten bottles that seemed to be noticeably hotter or milder than I expected. Undoubtedly there's a "spec" somewhere in the company that gives a range of accepted Scoville values when testing a batch. I would assume that they adjust batches that need it by adding hotter or milder sauce from existing batches. Kinda like how whiskey is blended.

I called McIlhenny Company to get the scoop on this debate. As for the bottles the number has nothing to do with the heat or batch of the hot sauce. They come stamped from the bottle manufacturer. As for the variance heat from different batches it is possible. The climate has some effect on the heat of the peppers. However, if the climate can change the heat of the pepper I would assume that the majority of the peppers from that harvest would be very close to the same heat especially when they are prepared in bulk batches. Possibly different year batches may have a slight difference in heat, but I would bet they are processing everything the year it is harvested.

That said, unless someone has an amazing palate and memory, I find it hard to believe they could tell the heat difference. Tabasco peppers are not very high on the Scoville chart. Unless you have two bottles with the same "best by" date and are comparing them side by side I doubt anyone can truly remember if one bottle is hotter than another. Even tasting side by side the heat would be affected by which was tasted first. The only way that the heat could be truly measured is by a Scoville meter. Tongues are not a very scientific testing tool.

I love Tabasco but give me Habanero any day.

Here is an interesting link about peppers. http://www.sheknows.com/food-and-recipes/articles/805359/types-of-hot-peppers

I've always been a "Texas Pete" kinda guy myself. This thread had been a roller coaster of interesting though!

I wish they would make hotter bottles with numbers. It would be a great marketing campaign... Let's contact Sterling Cooper & Partners and get this show on the road.

Last edited:
I called McIlhenny Company to get the scoop on this debate. As for the bottles the number has nothing to do with the heat or batch of the hot sauce. They come stamped from the bottle manufacturer. As for the variance heat from different batches it is possible. The climate has some effect on the heat of the peppers. However, if the climate can change the heat of the pepper I would assume that the majority of the peppers from that harvest would be very close to the same heat especially when they are prepared in bulk batches. Possibly different year batches may have a slight difference in heat, but I would bet they are processing everything the year it is harvested.

That said, unless someone has an amazing palate and memory, I find it hard to believe they could tell the heat difference. Tabasco peppers are not very high on the Scoville chart. Unless you have two bottles with the same "best by" date and are comparing them side by side I doubt anyone can truly remember if one bottle is hotter than another. Even tasting side by side the heat would be affected by which was tasted first. The only way that the heat could be truly measured is by a Scoville meter. Tongues are not a very scientific testing tool.

I love Tabasco but give me Habanero any day.

Here is an interesting link about peppers. http://www.sheknows.com/food-and-recipes/articles/805359/types-of-hot-peppers

I suppose this kinda settles it. I agree with many that there seems to be a bit of a difference between bottles. (hence my belief in the numbering system) Not huge and vast, but different nonetheless. Does any military members remember the tiny Tobasco bottles in the MREs from the early 90s? I swear once you broke through that "plug" under the cap with a toothpick, that little bottle would super-heat a whole pouch of food. Fast forward to today, it takes me 6-7 pumps from a regular bottle just to bring a single burrito up to standard.

Maybe the MRE bottle were hotter on purpose for us Mil guys? Who knows....

I suppose more product is required :)

I have a "Number 7" bottle in the kitchen right now. It tastes the same as every other bottle of Tabasco sauce I've ever had.

I'm not big on hot sauces. I keep Tabasco at home and use a modest amount of Srirachi when I go out for Pho. But I've noticed that these sauces don't seem as hot as they once did. Even wasabi doesn't have as muck kick as it used to.

Probably, its my taste buds that are changing, becoming less sensitive as I grow older. I don't think the sauces themselves are any different than before.

Top Bottom