What's new

Nib Acquisitions, April 2015

I acquired the pen below at an estate sale in a bag of office supplies for $2. It looks to have a Fine nib since it has an 'F' on the underside of the nib.

EDIT: It appears to be the earliest "Flighter" model since it has the black plastic end cap (per this site).

I'm not sure if I would be better off cleaning up the cartridge and refilling it with a syringe, or using a converter from a modern Parker IM, which seems to fit. Any suggestions?

EDIT: I couldn't wait to try it out, so I went ahead and used the converter from the Parker IM, which seems to be working great! I posted a writing sample in the POTD thread.

$capped.jpg
$uncapped1.jpg
$cartridge.jpg

Last edited:
Diamine Ancient Copper and 1864 Blue Black and De Atramentis Steel Blue

$IMG_2870.jpg

Unfortunately I won't have time to try any of them out until this weekend.

A friend of mine was going to the Netherlands for a quick trip and I convinced him he needed to go see the Hague... :001_rolle

He enjoyed it so much, he brought me back some inks...

A friend of mine was going to the Netherlands for a quick trip and I convinced him he needed to go see the Hague... :001_rolle

He enjoyed it so much, he brought me back some inks...
Nice! Friends with room in their luggage is always a good thing. :thumbup1:

A bottle of Sailor Shigure ink. Looking for that dark, dusky, shading purple. Ebony purple is too dark to see shading, and Poussiere de Lune is a little too light and too reddish for me.

I like the Platinum Century in tortoise so much, I couldn't resist this one with a sf nib:

proxy.php

Is that the Bourgogne? If so, it looks like a beautiful pen!

One pen I may someday save up for is the 3776 koi in red celluloid. I'd probably swap a soft fine nib into that, depending on how my incoming 3776 writes (soft fine in Chartres blue).

Is that the Bourgogne? If so, it looks like a beautiful pen!

One pen I may someday save up for is the 3776 koi in red celluloid. I'd probably swap a soft fine nib into that, depending on how my incoming 3776 writes (soft fine in Chartres blue).

Yes, thanks it is. I am enjoying it very much, but am wondering about the time it may take for the nib to soften a bit. There definitely is more spring and line variation vs. the fine nib in the tortoise version, but not nearly so much as my well-worn Falcon. I haven't seen the red celluloid in person, but I'm sure it is gorgeous. The tortoise celluloid is near perfect.

The Postman brought me a German goodie today. :thumbup1:

KAWECO Dia 2, Medium Steel Nib.

$IMG_2376.jpg

$IMG_2378.jpg

Initial impressions are very good. Medium-sized pen with some heft. Smooth nib, very comfortable in hand. Cartridge-converter filling system.

Another order -

From Japan - Pilot Prera in orange (demonstrator) with a calligraphy (CM) nib

proxy.php

From Goulet - 2 A5 pads of paper (Rhodia Premium and some fancy stuff in champagne with a French name), a few ink samples (Yama-Budo for my daughter's pens as she loves pink, and 2 of the Herbin anniversary ones with gold flecks), and a small bottle of Diamine Ancient Copper so I don't keep running out

No more pens for now. And this time, I mean it! :laugh:

4/12 - bought 3776 soft fine in Chartres Blue. Est. delivery 5/8-28. 10 days out and tracking still showing Tokyo.

This is going to be a loooooong wait . . .

I bet you see it before Thursday evening. Snap a pic or two for us when she arrives!

You might be right - as of 4/23 it apparently had made its way to Los Angeles! Nothing since then, so I suspect the tracking is quite delayed. I'm really looking forward to it . . . I tried a 3776 at a local store and it was delightfully smooth. Add a bit of line variation and softness with a really nice translucent dark blue and I expect to really enjoy it.

DukeNDuke - Enjoy your Diamine inks! Ancient Copper is a favorite (I have a small bottle in the mail). Which bottles did you get?

"DukeNDuke - Enjoy your Diamine inks! Ancient Copper is a favorite (I have a small bottle in the mail). Which bottles did you get?"

The large bottle is Midnight and the small one is Sherwood Green. I'm looking forward to the Ancient Copper. I'm sure the sample will just be a gateway into a full bottle.

Last edited:
Top Bottom