What's new

Next summer's vacation - Porto, Portugal

Looking forward to traveling to the country my from which my great grandparents emigrated. I've spent a couple of layovers in Lisbon, but this will be our first extended stay in Portugal. Looking forward to the food, architecture, beaches, beverages, and, of course, top notch shaving goods. Looking forward to any tips you can give me on travel, food and drink, sight seeing, and shopping! Brushing up on Portuguese...

EDIT: ugh. That'd be Porto, Portugal. Already thinking about Vinho do Porto!

Last edited:
Looking forward to traveling to the country my from which my great grandparents emigrated. I've spent a couple of layovers in Lisbon, but this will be our first extended stay in Portugal. Looking forward to the food, architecture, beaches, beverages, and, of course, top notch shaving goods. Looking forward to any tips you can give me on travel, food and drink, sight seeing, and shopping! Brushing up on Portuguese...

EDIT: ugh. That'd be Porto, Portugal. Already thinking about Vinho do Porto!

Marvelous choice.
My birth town.
Food: Tripas à moda do Porto , Francesinha, Bacalhau (national plate).
Win: All, but you must try "Vinho Verde" like "Alvarinho" tipical north of Portugal wine.
Architecture: Torre dos Clérigos (the Porto exlibris), Palácio da Bolsa, Igreja de S. Francisco, Sé do Porto, Mosteiro da Serra do Pilar, Estação de S. Bento, etc, Lello livraria (the inspiration to JK Rollings' Harry Potter), bridges, and of course the new Casa da Música building.
Museums: Serralves (were is the new Miró collection), Soares dos Reis.
Beaches: Kms and Kms in Porto metropolitan area.
Shaving goods: Casa de Guimarães, Balada da Sorte.
Night: lot of people in little bars and on the streets downtown and some Casas de Fado (national song).

Enjoy, it's a fantastic town with the most welcoming people in the world.

Last edited:
Excellent! Thanks for the tips! I'm curious to sample this green wine, as well as the rest! Searching a bit now...

Have a great trip when the time comes! My youngest daughter & her bf vacationed there earlier this year. They loved it and want to go back. The pictures showed a beautiful country. And it's the home of the wonderful Musgo Real. I'd come back with suitcases loaded.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
If it were me, I would certainly go up the Douro River to see the port estates ... and see if there are river tours to take as well.

If it were me, I would certainly go up the Douro River to see the port estates ... and see if there are river tours to take as well.

Yes, there are multiple choices for river tours, and one option is the vineyards ( you go by boat and come the next day back by bus).
You can also visit the Porto wine cellars at Vila Nova de Gaia (on the left side of the river Douro, Porto is on the right side) where I lived.

Last edited:
Edited or not, I knew what you were referring to. And I say, YES! If there is one region I would love to explore some day it is Porto. The mere thought of a soft, buttery 20 year tawny Port seems a vision of bliss. Good for you and have a great time.

Excellent! All positive feedback! No doubt I'll be breaking my soap/cream sabbatical, I'm afraid. I'd like to stock up on Musgo Real and O Melhor creams. Might get my first tube of Valeiro (still available?)and puck of Musgo Real as well.

Thanks to whoever corrected the spelling!

Yes, the Veleiro cream is still available.
Also available some soaps and cheap Portuguese creams : Antiga Barbearia do Bairro, Ribeira do Porto, Portus Cale, Men's Estoril Sports Line, Rio Sul, Top Secret, Lavanda.
And 444 aftershave gel.

Yes, the Veleiro cream is still available.
Also available some soaps and cheap Portuguese creams : Antiga Barbearia do Bairro, Ribeira do Porto, Portus Cale, Men's Estoril Sports Line, Rio Sul, Top Secret, Lavanda.
And 444 aftershave gel.

Nice! 444 is on the list. I've ordered it online. I've also wanted to try Top Secret and Lavanda. I'll keep my eyes out for the others.

Thanks for the links. Been practicing Continental Portuguese. We've seen a little of Lisbon on a couple of extended layovers. I'd love to do a couple of weeks there, too.

The trans Atlantic leg is done. On the ground in Madrid. To Oporto soon.

I'll start a PIF. Thinking 2 winners: a tube of 444 and a tube of Veleiro cream.

Just say you're in.

CONUS and Canada.

Two random winners picked when I get back 06/25/2017!

Top Bottom