What's new

Next Blade Suggestions

I have been using DEs for a few years now and have only been using a single type of blade. The blade I have been using this time are Personna Lab Blues. I like the blades and get a nice shave with them, just don't think I get the best. I am looking for a more aggressive blade and am not sure what to go for.

I've tried to look for some, but there are so many it's hard to tell what is actually a good blade and what isn't. My current razor is a Gillette Fatboy and a Gillette Slim. Anyone have any suggestions for my next blade?

I do like the russian gillette blades as do many others here. I think, of all the blade brands, gillette is probably the most popular here together with astra SP.

Lab blues are great blades for me also!!

Based on your preferences, I suggest you try GSB, Nacet, Polsilver SI, and of course the Med Preps (which may be essentially the same as the labs). :a14::a14::a14::a14:

I have been using DEs for a few years now and have only been using a single type of blade. The blade I have been using this time are Personna Lab Blues. I like the blades and get a nice shave with them, just don't think I get the best. I am looking for a more aggressive blade and am not sure what to go for.

I've tried to look for some, but there are so many it's hard to tell what is actually a good blade and what isn't. My current razor is a Gillette Fatboy and a Gillette Slim. Anyone have any suggestions for my next blade?
Try a sample pack from Tryablade. This way you can try all the Russian made Gillette's, and any other blade that you are curious about.

Clayton

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

Lab blues are great blades for me also!!

Based on your preferences, I suggest you try GSB, Nacet, Polsilver SI, and of course the Med Preps (which may be essentially the same as the labs). :a14::a14::a14::a14:
+1 on this, these are all great blades.

Clayton

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the suggestions! I've been eyeing some of those blades so I might just dive in and by some.

Try a sample pack from Tryablade. This way you can try all the Russian made Gillette's, and any other blade that you are curious about.

I had never heard of that sight, thanks for the info. I checked it out and the only thing I don't like is that the samplers only have one blade for each type. But I will keep them in mind if I ever want to try some oddball blades.

More aggressive than a lab blue? At that point you're in Feather territory. But I'd also suggest giving some the Russian Gillettes a try. I've used a lot of different ones. I'd suggest the new etched-blade Gillette Platinums in the royal blue boxes, Silver Blue, or Nacet. I've also had very good luck with German Wilkinson Sword - those are sharp.

What you're in need of is a sharper blade. Blades aren't really aggressive or not aggressive, just sharp or not sharp. The aggressiveness comes when you pair a sharp blade with poor technique.

If you're technique is good then go with a Feather blade as there aren't any sharper DE blades out there.

Other blades to consider might be:
Polsilver
Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow
Gillette Silver Blue
Astra SP

Yeah, I agree with all of the above recommendations, Gillette makes quite a few blades that are a step up from Lab Blues in perceived sharpness, if you don't want to go balls to the wall with a Feather. These would include (in rough descending order of sharpness):

• Perma-Sharp Super - almost as sharp as a Feather, but more manageable and forgiving
  • Nacet
  • 7 O'Clock SharpEdge (the Yellow)
  • GSB or Polsilver
  • Gillette Platinum - here, you're about at Lab Blue level

More aggressive than a lab blue?

I wasn’t aware lab blue was considered aggressive, I’ve just always used them lol

What you're in need of is a sharper blade. Blades aren't really aggressive or not aggressive, just sharp or not sharp. The aggressiveness comes when you pair a sharp blade with poor technique.

Well, that’s good to know. I’ve been using my DEs for several years but wasn’t deep in the rabbit hole until recently when I switched from a Superspeed to a Slim/Fatboy.

I guess aggressiveness isn’t what I’m looking for after all. Might just have to buy a sampler and figure out what I like and what works for me. Guess I’m gonna be heading deeper into the rabbit hole :lol1:

Thanks for all the suggestions! I've been eyeing some of those blades so I might just dive in and by some.

I had never heard of that sight, thanks for the info. I checked it out and the only thing I don't like is that the samplers only have one blade for each type. But I will keep them in mind if I ever want to try some oddball blades.
No, you can order any quantity - best to order 5 at a time as most blades come in a 5 pack. After using 5 blades you will know if you like it or not.

I agree with Jim K. 5 blades are needed to really evaluate; 1 is not enough. Most blades are sold in 5 packs on the Bay if you're having trouble finding one or some of them on the major retail sites.

I wasn’t aware lab blue was considered aggressive, I’ve just always used them lol

Well, that’s good to know. I’ve been using my DEs for several years but wasn’t deep in the rabbit hole until recently when I switched from a Superspeed to a Slim/Fatboy.

I guess aggressiveness isn’t what I’m looking for after all. Might just have to buy a sampler and figure out what I like and what works for me. Guess I’m gonna be heading deeper into the rabbit hole :lol1:

I wouldn't consider lab blades to be some of the sharper ones out there. They are decent but might require a bit more touch up than I'd need to do with a sharper blade. Probably middle of the road in sharpness. With the Feather blades once my technique was solid they were just as smooth and comfortable as any other blade I've experienced. With poor technique they will punish you for trying. Given the amount of time you've been at this I'm sure you'd have no problem at all using a sharper blade. What you'll experience is a good deal less clean up to get a perfect shave.

Lab blues are one of my favourites... others that I like that you might as well: Crystal, German Wilkinson Sword, Rapira Swedish Supersteel, BiC Chrome Platinum.

I also liked Gillette Platinum the best of any Gillette blades I tried, but will not buy Proctor & Gamble products anymore.

I too endorse the tryablade route. I don’t think you have to order 5 of each though. 2 is enough to know in my opinion. Personally lab blues are one of, if not the best, blades i’ve tried but polsilvers and feathers live up to the hype as well. An under the radar blade i really like is vikings sword though it may be too similar to the lab blue. If you’re looking for an aggressive blade i just reviewed the Gillette 7 o’clock Super Platinum and though it was too sharp for me, i think it would be excellent for those who want an “aggressive” blade. They’re sharper than feathers to me.

I too endorse the tryablade route. I don’t think you have to order 5 of each though. 2 is enough to know in my opinion. Personally lab blues are one of, if not the best, blades i’ve tried but polsilvers and feathers live up to the hype as well. An under the radar blade i really like is vikings sword though it may be too similar to the lab blue. If you’re looking for an aggressive blade i just reviewed the Gillette 7 o’clock Super Platinum and though it was too sharp for me, i think it would be excellent for those who want an “aggressive” blade. They’re sharper than feathers to me.
Always like to see recommendations or comments that differ from what most say on here...Viking Blade is one... NO one talks to this blade. I have used it maybe 10 times so far and it is very smooth, but not the sharpest. I find I usually do a 2 pass shave - with the Viking, I have to do 3 pass shave..Is that bad? Not sure... But smoothness should matter for something...

The reason I have for 5 blades is that one can use the blade of many different razors and as we know, blades perform differently on different razors. If I only had 2 blades, this might limit me to a false or a positive review that was not accurate for the total razors I own.

Top Bottom