What's new

News from Austria

Looking for something in a high quality razor without the insane price?
Just saw this on the Koraat website.

“Our model Piggy bank is a tribute to the raging inflation. Prices soar higher and higher....
But we decided to create a new razor modell that will buck the trend and keep our razors affordable to a broader community.
This razor is by no means inferior to our other razors when it comes to the shaving quality. It is made from the same blanks and ground with the same level of attention.
The only difference is that we have simplified some finishing processes. The outlines and the tang are kept in a dark antique finish which contrast the satin finished and lightly polished hollow ground. The scales are made of acrylic, available in 6 different colours, which are chamfered instead of being completly rounded.
The blade is 7/8" wide and has our "sheffield full hollow" grind which is an excellent allrounder and will still give gentle shaves to sensitive skin while being able to cut even the toughest beard.

The price of the razor is 192 Euro incl. 20% VAT or 160 Euro NET for non EU customers.
Available scale colours are: Pink, light green, green, white, black and orange”.

proxy.php

I am in two minds about this.
No doubt it opens up the possibility to more straight razor shavers to own a very good quality 7/8ths razor for a price that compares favourably to the basic models of the big name production razor companies.
The question that springs to mind is why would Koraat do this? Is it because the demand for their razors has had a downturn?
If so, are they not risking "tarnishing" their reputation for higher end, higher quality, individually made to order razors?
Honestly don't know how I feel about it.

I used my koraat last night. It really is something else.
Perhaps one day this may be the equivalent of a Stradivarius violin, I look at mine as a 'cutting edge investment'.....

@Biltong & Boerewors
I would believe Koraat razors are still in pretty high demand. Last I looked there were only 2 Piggy Bank razors left in available stock. No more available for 10 weeks when they’re gone.
Herr Beyer’s earlier explanation of why this particular product hit the market makes sense….anyone who makes an effort to curb spiraling prices by offering buyer options is doing something correct in my opinion.
Most probably I’ll add another Koraat to the mix in the future. They are one fine blade
2E78E923-E430-4BB9-91E3-045DB87F7189.jpeg

Last edited:
The question that springs to mind is why would Koraat do this? Is it because the demand for their razors has had a downturn?
I agree with @Acmemfg that three doesn't have to be a reduction in demand, perhaps there was surplus production capacity and a batch of these were churned out.

It gives people who might have been considering a Koraat, but couldn't or wouldn't justify the price an "entry level" piece to see what it's like.

Perhaps they might want a real one eventually.

I know a number of people who did this with guitars. Buy a Squier or Epiphone and eventually get a Fender or Gibson.

Top Bottom