What's new

Newly found SE interest, need help.

Hi,

I've been considering giving the SE world a go. I have NEVER tried a SE, (other than straights), I need help selecting a proper SE razor. I want something that my skill set will grow into. Please give me a few popular SE razors to try out and also some razor blades to go with them. Thanx in advance.

Luckily not many blade choices to make. I use the ones from CVS or Walgreens. They are all pretty much the same.

Ok, these are the blades I was able to pick up today at my local Rite aid (treet) & CVS (red pack) respectively. Any other blades you SE bandits might recommend trying? Ive also been eyeballing a 1912 on Sleezbay too. Thanx in advance once again! :biggrin1:

what ever you do, dont SE shave, the results are terrible, the razors themselves are very expensive, and good blades are impossible to find.

seriously, DONT DO IT..... stick to vintage gillettes, merkur, jagger ..all that crap.

I would rather shave with a rusty spoon than a single edge razor.

:001_unsur

:wink2::wink2:
what ever you do, dont SE shave, the results are terrible, the razors themselves are very expensive, and good blades are impossible to find.

seriously, DONT DO IT..... stick to vintage gillettes, merkur, jagger ..all that crap.

Say no more.

Not that I don't appreciate good sarcasm, because I really do. :biggrin1:
I was just hoping for some good advice to go along with it please, Ive never attempted the SE razor world. Thanks

P

Pjotr

If you can get hold of a GEM 1912 or a GEM Junior (in any of it's guises, fat handle, slightly fat handle, slim handle etc) or a G-Bar or a Featherweight as these are the more milder versions of the flip tops. Alternatively TTO versions of SE razors, the Micromatic Bullet tip or the Clog Pruf are also milder. You might get on with them like a house on fire but as a rule if you've never used an SE before I'd recommend staying clear of the Micromatic Open Comb, the 1924 Ever Ready and most definately the GEM Jewel or Ever Ready Streamline.

As far as blades go I think drews50 has pretty much summed it up. As far as shaving is concerned there's a video floating around from a member that's pretty useful (if you like watching that sort of thing!). If not, keep the head flat against your skin and go slow. Try a couple of passes for your first shave and start doing the ATG when you feel more confident. That's about all I can think of.

It's worth giving it a try. You can get hold of a decent razor for $10 odd and a few blades for a few bucks (they last at least 6 shaves each) so it's not like you're breaking the bank either.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you can get hold of a GEM 1912 or a GEM Junior (in any of it's guises, fat handle, slightly fat handle, slim handle etc) or a G-Bar or a Featherweight as these are the more milder versions of the flip tops. Alternatively TTO versions of SE razors, the Micromatic Bullet tip or the Clog Pruf are also milder. You might get on with them like a house on fire but as a rule if you've never used an SE before I'd recommend staying clear of the Micromatic Open Comb, the 1924 Ever Ready and most definately the GEM Jewel or Ever Ready Streamline.

As far as blades go I think drews50 has pretty much summed it up. As far as shaving is concerned there's a video floating around from a member that's pretty useful (if you like watching that sort of thing!). If not, keep the head flat against your skin and go slow. Try a couple of passes for your first shave and start doing the ATG when you feel more confident. That's about all I can think of.

It's worth giving it a try. You can get hold of a decent razor for $10 odd and a few blades for a few bucks (they last at least 6 shaves each) so it's not like you're breaking the bank either.

Yes a 1912 or a G-bar would be great to start with.

Excellent advice. Watched the MrGuy videos on SE shaving and they were most helpful. I've been SE'ing for a week - 1912 w/ Walgreen Gem - and am loving it. The shave is taking me twice as long because I am moving quite cautiously. The "noise" the blade makes as you push through your whiskers is quite alarming, yet perfectly "normal". I started with a N - S pass and then an E - W pass and ended it there, just to get the feel of the razor.

Try it. You won't regret it. Although please don't add to the already crazy run-up of SE ebay prices...like I'm doing. :crying:

Other than the open comb micromatic, you can't go wrong with any other model from Gem, Star and Ever-Ready. I have shaved with most and like them all.

You just can't go wrong with the Damaskeene or 1912

I love the OCMM I warned you of. It isn't a forgiving razor. But once you have mastered the technique required, damn it's good.

A super big thanks to slivovitz for the OCMM PIF!! I have also aquired a GEM 1912 off of ebay for a reasonable price. I have aquired blades from cvs and a pack of treets from rite aid, and they look exactly identical, from holder, to numbers stamped on the blade itself. Kinda confusing, maybe i go to walgreens today and see what they have available. Thanks for all the wonderful input everybody! You guys rock! :thumbup1:

I think they are all made by the American Safety Razor Company, PAL, TREET, Gem, store brands like CVS and Walgreens.

A super big thanks to slivovitz for the OCMM PIF!! I have also aquired a GEM 1912 off of ebay for a reasonable price. I have aquired blades from cvs and a pack of treets from rite aid, and they look exactly identical, from holder, to numbers stamped on the blade itself. Kinda confusing, maybe i go to walgreens today and see what they have available. Thanks for all the wonderful input everybody! You guys rock! :thumbup1:

Word of advice - learn on the 1912, and when you've got it down only then try the OCMM. It's a tempermental razor and you have to really pay attention to what you're doing. The 1912 will give such great results you may never feel the need to try to master the MM.

If you have an independent pharmacy in your town, look there for blades. Around here they are a good bit cheaper than at the chain stores. Some Food Lions carry PAL SE blades, Harris-Teeter carries SE blades too.

Word of advice - learn on the 1912, and when you've got it down only then try the OCMM. It's a tempermental razor and you have to really pay attention to what you're doing. The 1912 will give such great results you may never feel the need to try to master the MM.

If you have an independent pharmacy in your town, look there for blades. Around here they are a good bit cheaper than at the chain stores. Some Food Lions carry PAL SE blades, Harris-Teeter carries SE blades too.

I about spit my coffee out when i read food lion, then harris teeter. Lol i knew u must be around these parts!! So what aisles are the se blades on in those stores? Shaving aisle or elsewhere? Thanx!

I about spit my coffee out when i read food lion, then harris teeter. Lol i knew u must be around these parts!! So what aisles are the se blades on in those stores? Shaving aisle or elsewhere? Thanx!

I saw you were from NC so I figured you'd know those stores. Up here they keep the SE blades in with the shaving stuff, usually hanging on a peg near the Trac II refills and styptic pencils. Harris-Teeter carries some good shaving stuff, the Real Shave Co. products and Tweezerman brushes, at decent prices.

I saw you were from NC so I figured you'd know those stores. Up here they keep the SE blades in with the shaving stuff, usually hanging on a peg near the Trac II refills and styptic pencils. Harris-Teeter carries some good shaving stuff, the Real Shave Co. products and Tweezerman brushes, at decent prices.

Cool man! Yeah I saw the tweezman brush last time I was at the tweeter, I had to do a double take! lol Thanks for the info, I would have never thought to look at the food dog either! :thumbup1:

jsj 297,

++1 on the GEM/Ever-Ready 1912.

The combination of the GEM PTFE Stainless blades and the 1912s is the finest shaving safety razor combo I have ever used :smile:

I also really enjoy using all the other GEM razors I have (1924, Heavy Flat Top ('G-Bar'), MicroMatic Clog-Pruf, MicroMatic Bullet-Tip; I will soon have a MicroMatic OC, and am very much looking forward to it !

Once I got started on the SE side of things, my DEs have sat sulking in a cupboard !

Good luck :smile:

Have fun !

Best regards

Russ

Last edited:
Top Bottom