What's new

Newbie with a question.

First, I'd like to say Hello. I have been lurking the forums for a couple of days, and it's nice to see there is a place like this to come to learn what your father might not have taught you. Kudos to this forum!

Anyway, by way of a brief introduction, I am a thirty something year old man of mostly British (English, Scottish, Irish) descent who tends to be a bit on the hairy side. I gave up on electric razors long ago, and have been using disposable razors and aerosol cream for many years. I generally don't shave every day mainly because I'm just lazy, and not too concerned with my appearance; but also because I had just written off razor burn as a fact of life. Once in a blue moon (and I'm talking YEARS in between, and usually I need a special event, like a wedding as the impetus) I treat myself to a good barber shop shave. After reading these forums I have started getting myself a kit together for DE shaving, and I look forward to trying to achieve a shave without razor burn by myself.

I won a couple of auctions on eBay, and have a small variety of DE razors coming my way (MAYBE one injector. The picture was too fuzzy to tell) and I'm anxiously awaiting the packages. I also do have an old straight razor I inherited that I had tried to sharpen in the past, but with no luck. Now that I have found instructions on the technique, I might give it another go one of these days. I think for now though, the DE shaving might better fit my lifestyle. (I just hope I didn't actually throw out those two neat old razor straps I had and they are in storage somewhere).

Anyway, on to my question. My question is simply "What about the beard?"

I notice from pictures here that many here do wear some sort of facial hair. I was wondering if there is any grooming information or tutorials on tools and techniques for maintaining facial hair (or is that just right out of the focus of this site?)

I usually like to wear a goatee. Up until now my method of shaving has included using a set of electric clippers to clip the hair I want to remove down as close as possible, then to use a sort of comb attachment to the clippers to reduce and make uniform the length of the hair in my goatee. If my beard is fine, and my mustache just needs a trim, I just use some small scissors.

I'm getting tired of the clippers though, and I was just wondering what tools and techniques are available, and what others use to trim the facial hair that they do not shave? I have seen the old hand clippers that come up on eBay. Is it basically just that and/or scissors and a comb (as a barber cuts your head hair) or are there other methods?

Any info/insight/help would be appreciated!

-Brian

Welcome, Brian to B&B :cool:
I too keep a light beard all year round, thats one of the reasons that I went back to using a straight razor to shave with. Straight lines are only really achieved with a straight line ie: a straight razor, as to trimming I use a Wahl trimmer set to the lowest setting, and trim every 2 weeks.... I let everything fill in over the second weekend, trim on Monday morning then use the straight razor to edge the neck and cheek lines for the next 2 weeks... This routine seems to work the best for me but of course you might need to adjust yours to what length you keep your beard or goatee...:smile:
I hope you have as much fun as most of us here do, in the morning ritual of shaving

Glen

Thanks for the welcome guys, and thanks for the info GsSixgun. What I'm really trying to get at though is, does anyone know of any methods or tools used to trim beards that don't require electricity or batteries? Is it all just about scissors and those old hand clippers, or were there any other gizmo's/tricks?

Example: I have seen scissors that actually have a comb attached to one side. I don't know what they are REALLY for, but maybe for beards?

Another Example: I see "mustache cups" all over eBay, but I don't think they were really for shaving mustaches, were they? I thought they were drinking cups.

Hi Finnigan, and welcome to B&B.

Regarding tutorials, read the 'stickied' posts that are pinned to the top of the various forums here at B&B. You'll also find a lot of information in the many threads here. You should read Leisureguy's shave blog, and make sure that you view Mantic's shaving videos that he has posted on YouTube. These will get you off and running.

-- John Gehman

Brian - Welcome to B&B. Sorry I can't answer your question as I go with the clean shave look no facial hair whatsoever.

Top Bottom