What's new

Newbie with a gift certificate to Art of Shaving

I got a gift certificate to Art of Shaving and was wondering if anyone can offer some help as to what would be a good starting place. I was thinking of getting one of their starter kit with their brush and get a DE from one of the vendors on here instead of paying the $100+ for the AOS razors. Again any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I would buy an Ocean Kelp kit. It's a (mild) but stellar fragrance. Smells nothing like the ocean, more like a mild pine/ citrus scent. The sandalwood is also a very nice scent.

Just go pure badger for the brush, the higher end brushes of AOS are very overpriced!!

By the way, I believe the Pure Badger brush in the $50 travel kit, and the $100 full kit is the same. So if you want to spend less money, you could just buy the travel kit, which will give you the same brush, but less of the products.

Last edited:
How much is the certificate for? You could always grab a couple soaps and an aftershave. The brushes and razors are very overpriced.

I vote sandalwood personally if you're going to get a scented soap. I would also suggest the cream if you're starting out since creams are easier to lather. Skip the pre-shave oil until you figure out your routine; the same could probably be said for the aftershave. And I'd suggest getting an Edwin Jagger DE89 from Amazon or one of the B&B vendors as a DE to start with.

I vote sandalwood personally if you're going to get a scented soap. I would also suggest the cream if you're starting out since creams are easier to lather. Skip the pre-shave oil until you figure out your routine; the same could probably be said for the aftershave. And I'd suggest getting an Edwin Jagger DE89 from Amazon or one of the B&B vendors as a DE to start with.

I had read quite a few posts and picked up a DE89 from West Coast, and then picked up a sample pack of blades from bullgoose. Now I am searching for a shave mug or scuttle. I was considering the sandalwood as that was what I liked the smell of when I was in the store, but I am open to all suggestions.

The $100 shaving kit is a great starter especially if you already like the sandalwood. The brush in that kit is full sized and 10x's better than the smaller travel brush. You will also have enough to buy the soap as well.

Top Bottom