What's new

Newbie needing strop

As the tittle says, I am just about to start and therefore need to order a beginner strop. I have done a lot of reading and realise I should get something cheap as I am likely to nick it. I see that the Fily from Ruprazor or a practice stop that you can order with a tony miller are good options. The only problem is that I live in the UK and shipping is expensive. E.g. $14 shipping for the $20 Filly! I think I would like to get a tony miller but want to make sure I'm going to stick with it before forking out for the 3" Latigo which I have heard is fantastic. I am aware that Tony Miller used to make a $30 practice/travel strop but has cut back on a lot of his runs. What do you think the chances of me getting either this discontinued strop of the filly on the BST - should I just put a WTB up. I havn't seen many strops on the BST. What are my other options?

Thanks

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
There must be an online vendor in the UK that can sell you a strop at a decent price. You don't need the biggest strop of all... A WTB would be a good option. Specify what you are after and your budget, someone should be able to help you!

As the tittle says, I am just about to start and therefore need to order a beginner strop. I have done a lot of reading and realise I should get something cheap as I am likely to nick it. I see that the Fily from Ruprazor or a practice stop that you can order with a tony miller are good options. The only problem is that I live in the UK and shipping is expensive. E.g. $14 shipping for the $20 Filly! I think I would like to get a tony miller but want to make sure I'm going to stick with it before forking out for the 3" Latigo which I have heard is fantastic. I am aware that Tony Miller used to make a $30 practice/travel strop but has cut back on a lot of his runs. What do you think the chances of me getting either this discontinued strop of the filly on the BST - should I just put a WTB up. I havn't seen many strops on the BST. What are my other options?

Thanks
Illinois 827 was my starter strop and is generally well thought of on SRP too. It has nice draw, and the surface is not as smooth as latigo, so if you make an accidental minor scratch as a newbie, you wont notice it on the strop. Also, its lightweight, so if you ever graduate to a big 3 inch wide strop with all the fixins, you can still keep this one as a travel strop. Its pretty inexpensive too, $33 USD.

http://www.bestclippers.com/noname7.html

Last edited:
Deuser,

For superb strops please have a look at Mr Neil Millers' website www.strop-shop.co.uk.

He handmakes all his strops, both hanging & paddle, and has a great selection of different leathers.

Most excellent strops :biggrin:

Have fun !

Best regards

Russ

Top Bottom