What's new

Newbie checking in

Hi all,

I'm a newbie checking in. I've been lurking around B&B for a couple months now soaking up all of your knowledge and I finally decided to join. I've been been shaving with a DE for a few months now and I think I'm finally getting the hang of it. I just started shaving with a straight last week and it's been tough so far. I know it takes a lot of practice though. I'm looking forward to all of your tips and pointers.

Thanks,
Frank

I am a newbie as well.I just started using a straight a few weeks ago.I would recommend starting slow.Just do the side of your face and finish up with the DE.Learn your face and how to keep a proper angle on the Blade.Once you get comfortable with the blade and your face branch out to different areas on your face.I watched a bunch of youtube videos on how to straight shave.It seem to help me.I like to take to time to use a pre-shave oil or cream and a few hot towels .The beard prep seems to help me get a closer shave.Make sure you are using a razor that is shave ready .Using a dull razor is an unpleasnt experience .Good luck learning this skill.I am taking it slow and have a great time learning.

Hello and welcome to B&B, Frank. This is a great forum full of friendly, helpful shavers. You'll learn a lot here.

Wander on over to the Hall of Fame and tell us more about yourself.

Thanks M14Shooter. Yes, I agree. I've been taking it slow too. Just starting with my cheek on dominant hand side and branching out. I will check youtube for some videos, that seems like a good way to learn. Good luck learning SR shaving and let me know if you have any break thoughs.

Thanks,
Frank

I am a newbie as well.I just started using a straight a few weeks ago.I would recommend starting slow.Just do the side of your face and finish up with the DE.Learn your face and how to keep a proper angle on the Blade.Once you get comfortable with the blade and your face branch out to different areas on your face.I watched a bunch of youtube videos on how to straight shave.It seem to help me.I like to take to time to use a pre-shave oil or cream and a few hot towels .The beard prep seems to help me get a closer shave.Make sure you are using a razor that is shave ready .Using a dull razor is an unpleasnt experience .Good luck learning this skill.I am taking it slow and have a great time learning.

Welcome to the B & B forum Frank! Lots of shavers here with years of experience they are willing to share. I know you will enjoy the free exchange of information!

Hi all,

I'm a newbie checking in. I've been lurking around B&B for a couple months now soaking up all of your knowledge and I finally decided to join. I've been been shaving with a DE for a few months now and I think I'm finally getting the hang of it. I just started shaving with a straight last week and it's been tough so far. I know it takes a lot of practice though. I'm looking forward to all of your tips and pointers.

Thanks,
Frank
Frank, what kind of pointers would help you out?

Top Bottom