What's new

Newb to the forum, but not to DE shaves..

Howdy!

Old time lurker, since 2007 or so. *waves*

Just wanted to relate my DE experience, as I twirl what just came in the mail today, a y-code 1978 black-handle Superspeed. It's all nice and shiny and devoid of soap scum, and I just popped a Feather in it. I will resist the urge, and I shall shave tomorrow, not right now. (Maybe I should, first time with a Feather in one of these, I may really do a number on my face with it ;o)

My first shaves in latter third of the 80's were with DE, a Superspeed black-handle I had "borrowed" from an uncle who had abandoned it in favor of a Schick injector. Barbasol and Foamy is what I used.

Then I joined the USAF in 1989, and it was double and triple-blade face rakes with Edge gel after that, until around 2007, when I came back to DE shaving.. I had lost that Superspeed, so I got one, black-handle again, from Ebay. The first couple of shaves were a bit awkward as my fingers tried to remember the old razor vs. the face rakes, but by the 3rd or 4th shave it was business as usual. Only this time I was also using shave soap and a badger - a vulfix of some sort, forgot what it is. Still have it. I don't think it's silvertip.. may be the grade just under silvertip.

Then in 2009 the razor broke. Went to open it to pop in a new blade, and something went "doink" in it, and the doors just flapped in the breeze. At that point I said let's try the new, so I got a Merkur Barberpole (38C long blue handle) and a Dovo brush and razor stand.

I uh... it's been 9 years, and I'm not happy with the Merkur. I've tried Feather, the odd Gillettes when I find them, ASR (Personna?) (used to make 'em for Publix supermarkets).. feather and ASR so far are the best, but ugh, I'm sorry, fellas, I know a lot of you love Merkur, but I can't. My first reaction was "dang, this thing needs a bit of pressure to cut.." and "Dang, it's heav-y" and "Dang, I really gotta bladebuff with this thing."

9 years and I never got used to it. I even used an electric for 3 years and came back to DE 3 months ago. Yeah, I know. An electric.

So last week, in celebration of a new job after 2.5 years of very lean times, I got me a y-code Superspeed, it just arrived. And I also have an English Tech with nickel-plated brass handle on the way (no date code, but has the full bar on the head). Can't wait to try that, the only Gillette DE I know is the Superspeed. Should be here next week.

Why is the Merkur so @#@$ heavy? I abhor artificial heaviness. Old watches were light. New watches are heavy. Old pens were light, new pens are heavy. I guess it's for added appearance of quality? I mean, I just put these two on the scale... the Merkur with Feather is 3.5 oz. The Superspeed is 1.9! Now, I don't have great big lumberjack hands, so I guess the smaller, thinner, lighter Super is just naturally better suited for my fingers to work.

A visual comparo shows the Super puts out a little bit more blade, but more importantly, the edge on the Super doesn't make a perfect arc from cap to blade to bar -- the Super "steps" out a little. Hard to explain, even harder to photograph.

Can't wait to give the Super a go tomorrow morning. With barbasol, because I really only have time for badger and soap on weekends.

Anyway, that's my story... I'm really here to learn more about the Tech, it seems that is a very deep rabbit hole.

Why "Machetero?" Well, I'm not a radical Puerto Rican separatist activist. But I am from Puerto Rico. And a few years ago visiting a Puerto Rican friend, he saw me shave with the Merkur, while he used a 5-blade face rake, the Fusion.. he just looked at me and went "Tu eres bien machetero" -- basically, I'm shaving with a machete, from his POV. I just chuckled and carried on. I know the truth. One edge beats 5.

Welcome to the forums @Machetero .

I know what you mean about weight. I went years using my light nimble Gillette New and now I’m attempting to get the feel of a real heavyweight - a Timeless Bronze.

Hope tomorrow’s shave is a pleasure.

Thanks, all!

@Macfrommichigan - Mainly Tabac, but with the occasional foray into TOBS - I do enjoy their sandalwood. Haven't tried any of the "artisan" soaps. I'm a bit loathe to - I get the feeling the more flowery the prose, the more chance there is of it being made in some Chinese factory and then boxed up all rough to make it look "artisanal."

For aftershave, all the Aqua Velvas. I hoard them when I find them :001_huh: I particularly like Ice Sport for summer, reminds me of 4711. Musk for winter. Ice Blue for whenever. I still have a bit in a glass bottle!

You guys seen the 100-year Barbasol can? Bought one yesterday, and I couldn't find not even one pic in google.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
Welcome to the club. Glad to have you aboard. Don't worry about the artisan soaps. The vast majority of them are made in the USA, and the exceptions are almost all European. I can't think of a single one that is made in China.

Welcome to B&B. Brush and soap does not have to take long; about 10 minutes for a 3-pass shave.

Just had my 2nd shave with my new-to-me '78 Superspeed. It was like meeting up with an old friend, the Super and I picked up where we had left off in 2009. Great shave, my fingers remembered what to do.

As for time.. we all shave at different paces. My standard two-pass barbasol shave takes me exactly 15 minutes from the moment I open the taps and shake the can to the point where I have everything clean, dry, and put away. With a brush and soap, add 5 to 10 minutes that. Brush and soap is my weekend "me" time, so I do look forward to it.

Honestly the canned goo shave does OK for me. My face doesn't hate the stuff. Wether it's canned go or soap, my shaves have little irritation, when the aftershave goes on there's a very brief sting and then nothing. I know I did a good job of it if there's very little aftershave sting.

Part of the reason I take so long is the way my beard (and hair) grows. It's like it comes from 5 different directions. The neck and chin is where I spend the most time. The chin is best served with a left-to-right pass xtg, handle in left hand about 35* tail down, looks a lot like the "beheading" motion. Then the right upper third of neck with a right-to-left slide with blade nearly level, lots of that.. then the entire left of the neck with the blade nearly vertical (!), then get the behind-the-ears-neck-hairs, then up atg from chinline to sideburns, face inspection, catch the strays. The lower lip, upper lip and sideburns all get hit first, before anything else.

Pass two is only right side of neck, lower right is a curious "flick" of the wrist, kinda like a "J" motion. Upper right is the inverse of the slide before. All of this takes time.

My hair also grows every which way, but I can't b*tch about it because at 49 I have hair. It just drives my barber nuts is all.

What do y'all think of this: Go visit a barber, get a proper straight shave, and have him teach me my face? I'm still not convinced after 3 decades of shaving that I'm doing it right, I'm not kidding, my neck is like a beard version of Medusa!

Top Bottom