What's new

New to DE Shaving and need recommendations for blade in a Merkur Progress

Hi,
I am awaiting the arrival of a used Merkur Progress Short handle to start DE shaving. I am looking for blade recommendations for the first blades to try. Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks,
Joe

The Progress can do well with lots of different blades. I'd suggest something smooth and reasonably sharp to start with such as the Personna Lab Blue (labeled as Made in USA, Comfort Coated) or Gillette Silver Blue. But you should definitely try a variety of blades to get a feel for what works best for you. Don't just buy a pack of 100 blades right off the bat.

mcee_sharp

MCEAPWINMOLQOVTIAAWHAMARTHAEHOAIDIAMRHDAE
In my Progress I've found Feathers work absolutely beautifully. I'm not otherwise a fan of their DE blades in my other razors.

When it comes to blades its YMMV, what works for me might not work for you. It's better to get some blade sampler and test the blades out. Astra SP's, Permasharps, Wizamet Super Iridiums, Feathers are good blades. I would first map your beard out before you attempt to shave so you can do the passes properly.

The razor you mentioned can be super mild on the lowest setting and super aggressive on the highest setting. I would set it maybe on 1 or 2 maybe between 1 and 2. Again you have to see what works best for you, I use this razor on the highest setting and I get great BBS's out of it.

Astra SP's are very forgiving blades, the Permasharps too IMHO these are sharper but smoother compared to the Astra SP's. Stick to one blade, one soap till you can shave properly with the DE razor without any razor burns or any other issues. Then you can try out new blades, new soaps etc.

You can use any edible oil as a pre shave oil. I used to use olive oil as a pre shave oil, this really helps out if you have poor lather. After your first shave wait a couple days before you attempt to shave again. For me this is usually 3-4 days. Make sure you take a nice hot shower before shaving.

Welcome to the forums. There are many blades available, but the only way to determine what works best for you is to try them. I find permasharps are great for me.

My Merkur arrived yesterday! It came with some Merkur Super Platinum blades. Should I try these for my first DE shave or wait for some of the other blades I ordered to arrive. I ordered a variety of blades including the ones mentioned in this thread.

My Merkur arrived yesterday! It came with some Merkur Super Platinum blades. Should I try these for my first DE shave or wait for some of the other blades I ordered to arrive. I ordered a variety of blades including the ones mentioned in this thread.

Remember to tighten the handle all the way and then select the aggressiveness. The Progress was my first razor and I made the mistake of not completely tightening in my first shave. They nicknamed me Scarface afterwards

I think Merkur changed their blades awhile back. Now, they are made in Czech Republic. Reputation of those blades has been mixed, mostly unfavorable. I'd try something else for my first shave.

I forgot to ask, what is the best way to sterlize my used, new to me Merkur Progress? Any benefit to using Barbicide over rubbing alcohol? Any other suggestions? Thanks!

Top Bottom