What's new

Newb question

Hello all!
I'm fairly new to the 'wet shave' community, but not to the 'obsessive compulsive' community.
I've been using a safety razor since this May and have jumped in whole heartedly with both feet.
I've added 5 razors to my collection and all but one I'm certain of the date. I just received a Gillette Tech that I have questions about. It can either be a 1953 or a 1978 Tech. I really dont mind either way, because it shaves awesome.
My question is... when did Techs start showing up w/a 'frosted' cap? Here is the kit I received with it.
Any help is appreciated in Advance.

DMac

Attachments

• 20210614_202622.jpg
    20210614_202622.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 35
Sorry I wasnt clearer.
The Gillette logo is surrounded by what appears to be a 'frosted', not smooth finish.
Here is another picture.
Thank you for the quick 20210614_202412.jpgreply!

Looks like 1953 from the quick look I just did....what does the bottom cap cut outs look like also. That would help with dating it also.

Looks like 1953 from the quick look I just did....what does the bottom cap cut outs look like also. That would help with dating it also.
The bottom cap has the oval cutouts, not triangular ones so it's definatly a '48 or later. My $10 antique store Bakelite has the triangle cutouts.20210604_193426.jpg

Definitely NOT 1978. That's a pre-zamac cap. In 1978 "GILLETTE" would have been cast into the top of the cap.

The bottom cap has the oval cutouts, not triangular ones so it's definatly a '48 or later. My $10 antique store Bakelite has the triangle cutouts.View attachment 1287743
okay its gonna be 53 and as such in 53 the top cap could be brass or early pot metal because they had to deal with the shortage caused by the Korean war so they began experimenting with alternate metals . Some are brass and some are not. Honestly from that year the pot metal ones are rarer because less were made.

okay its gonna be 53 and as such in 53 the top cap could be brass or early pot metal because they had to deal with the shortage caused by the Korean war so they began experimenting with alternate metals . Some are brass and some are not. Honestly from that year the pot metal ones are rarer because less were made.
I have frequent bouts of 'cant remember squat'. I very lurked here for the better part of the last 6 months and know that mid '60 razors started the embossed zmac head. Thanks for jogging my memory and pointing out the obvious. Committing all of the dating nuances to memory is a bit overwhelming for me.

I have frequent bouts of 'cant remember squat'. I very lurked here for the better part of the last 6 months and know that mid '60 razors started the embossed zmac head. Thanks for jogging my memory and pointing out the obvious. Committing all of the dating nuances to memory is a bit overwhelming for me.
The 60's IS when they officially switched over to mostly zamac heads but they Did start experimenting with pot metals And the "frosted" top plate's in 1953..that's why the 53 tech frosted zamac razors are rare , because as an experiment they didn't make a lot of them... A lot of the info I found about them was through a search of this forum !

Top Bottom