What's new

New to The Nib Thanks to a Generous PIF!

Thanks to a very generous PIF by [MENTION=92596]Claudel Xerxes[/MENTION] I'm now a fountain pen convert. Included was a Pilot Metropolitan, a Platinum Preppy, a nice bottle of Namiki Black Fountain Pen Ink and a separate bag with 5 more ink samples! The generosity here at B&B is really something special - thank you so much Erik.

I'm not new to fountain pens, but it has been 30+ years since I held one. A quick search on YouTube helped me understand how these pens are loaded/filled with ink, however I'm still left with a few beginner questions if you don't mind....

After a pen is filled with ink is it ok to leave it lying flat, or must it always be propped up, tip up (I believe)? Are there different nibs available for the Metropolitan? Can someone also suggest a good pad for practicing and/or writing? I'm a teacher and use a smart screen + projector in my classroom so I use italic writing almost exclusively, although I can definitely see more cursive in my future, too. I did quickly order a Rhodia No.16 A5 6x8 Dot Pad that should arrive today as I wanted something to use on a short trip I'm going on.

I will add that I'm having a blast using the Preppy (I'm waiting to get the Rhodia pad before filling the Pilot) and as soon as I get a little more practice under my belt I'll post some things over in the Handwritten Thread - thank you.

$2016-05-25 at 00-00-00 (1).jpg

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I store my pens flat with no problems. Unless something is contacting the nib, the ink should stay in the feed and pen.

Storing your pen flat is fine. All my inked pens lie flat in a small pen case when not in use. Replacement nibs are not available separately for the Metropolitan. You might just was well get another pen with a different nib. They aren't very expensive anyhow. If you want an inexpensive pen with swapable nibs, check out the Lamy Safari.

As for practice paper, anything that you find suitable will do. The Norcom notebooks made in Brazil sold at Walmart make for good cheap practice paper. Also, the Target Up and Up legal pads aren't too bad either. They aren't as good as Rhodia or Clairefontaine, but for just practice, they work well.

Storing your pen flat is fine. All my inked pens lie flat in a small pen case when not in use. Replacement nibs are not available separately for the Metropolitan. You might just was well get another pen with a different nib. They aren't very expensive anyhow. If you want an inexpensive pen with swapable nibs, check out the Lamy Safari.

As for practice paper, anything that you find suitable will do. The Norcom notebooks made in Brazil sold at Walmart make for good cheap practice paper. Also, the Target Up and Up legal pads aren't too bad either. They aren't as good as Rhodia or Clairefontaine, but for just practice, they work well.

Ohhh Target - good idea!

I don't know how I get it into my mind that a fountain pen needed to be stored upright - good to know it doesn't really matter. I'm also going to wait a bit before getting my next pen. I'd like to practice a while longer and just get the feel for things. In my beginner's opinion though, the Preppy isn't all that bad at all.

Am I correct in assuming that nibs do wear out after time?

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Great to have you here and writing happily! Have fun with it, don't take it too seriously.
Lovely photograph of your goodies, by the way.

Am I correct in assuming that nibs do wear out after time?

Nibs can last a long, long time -- most of mine are 50-80 years old. The tipping material is extremely hard ... just don't go writing on any sandpaper now.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
I'm glad that you're enjoying the Preppy already, Brian. I'm still embarrassed that I forgot to pack the couple of pocket notebooks that I had intended for you. :blush: I guess that they'll be something to look forward to once you get back from your trip. :thumbup1: Welcome to the club. I'm thinking that as a teacher, you might find some good use out of fountain pens.

Last edited:
I'm glad that you're enjoying the Preppy already, Brian. I'm still embarrassed that I forgot to pack the couple of pocket notebooks that I had intended for you. :blush: I guess that they'll be something to look forward to once you get from your trip. :thumbup1: Welcome to the club. I'm thinking that as a teacher, you might find some good use out of fountain pens.

Thank you again Erik :thumbup:

And you're right, as a teacher I think this might work out very well. When I teach I use a smart screen + projector which displays on a big screen in front of the classroom - no more chalk dust and no more white board markers for me! I use spiral bound notebooks for each subject and place them under the camera and write with Pilot G2's, and students copy/write along with me.

Now I think I want to use a fountain pen, but I need to research some better quality notebooks.

Is there such a thing as a Nib Restraint??

Hello welcome to the nib! I only have about 6 months in this rabit whole but its a lot of fun. I would say that as far as notebooks go for me they really make a difference when writing with a fountain pen I have tried the big names as clairfontaine, rhodia, kokuno, apica and I really enjoy using the A5 Apica notebooks but I say make your own sampler pack and give them all a try. Just remember have fun and enjoy

Is there such a thing as a Nib Restraint??

Congrats on the PIF!

They tried a NIB restraint last year, but I think only one guy survived, and there wasn't enough interest in doing another in 2016. From my understanding, it got a bit tough to determine what was an allowed purchase (e.g., postage, envelopes, repairs, ink, etc.).

Top Bottom