What's new

New to Straight Shaving? Post a video for help.....

Here's a tip: when flipping the razor, keep the spine stationary and focus on not moving your wrist at all - just slowly turn the razor shank using your thumb and forefinger.
Then, as the edge is just about to hit the leather, begin the stropping motion in the opposite direction. This will greatly help minimize nicks.

Wow... I'm so glad I read this. I soon as I did I realized I was flipping my razor the wrong way as I was stropping today.

I just went in and practiced the proper strokes until it felt natural.

I'm really glad I read this before I built up a bad habit.

Thank you.

Looks like you're off to a great start with honing and stropping. As to Hunter's comment about flipping the razor over the spine rather than the cutting edge, try hanging your strop a bit lower. It seemed awfully high in the video and you may find it's easier to flip the razor correctly when you are pulling the strop more horizontally in relation to the ground. Just something that works for me.

Do barber's hones really make that noise?? Sounds like honing on sandpaper!

I will agree with all of the above. Holding the strop completely horizontally a few weeks after I started straight shaving felt like an epiphany.

Nicely done:thumbup: love the progress

If I may recommend one thing to a stellar performance is to use shorter strokes. About 1" strokes helps get a closer shave, helps against irritation plus it helps against any nicks since you're shaving smaller sections.

Well done though:001_cool:

Can't let slpknt10l03 be the only one to post videos, and to get some feedback on my stropping wouldn't hurt either, after all I've just been straight saving for a week and a half.

Here it goes:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8KdbDF7sY4[/YOUTUBE]

Can't let slpknt10l03 be the only one to post videos, and to get some feedback on my stropping wouldn't hurt either, after all I've just been straight saving for a week and a half.

i am definitely no expert so take my suggestion with a grain of salt... I think i had a similar movement earlier, but the wrist turn at the head of the strop looks awkward.. maybe try switching up the thumb and forefinger position by starting at the top of the strop. it might make the twist more comfortable..

Good looking video!

i am definitely no expert so take my suggestion with a grain of salt... I think i had a similar movement earlier, but the wrist turn at the head of the strop looks awkward.. maybe try switching up the thumb and forefinger position by starting at the top of the strop. it might make the twist more comfortable..

I agree, the reason you need to watch the wrist movement is to insure the razor edge is applied with each stroke at a consistent pressure.

Try rotating the razor with your fingers and post a follow up :thumbup1:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd

Here it goes:

When you're stropping, put a penny on your wrist where it attaches to your thumb. If it falls off, you're moving your wrist too much. Concentrate on flipping the blade between thumb and forefinger by rotating the shank.

I've come a long way and regularly get a DFS, but i thought to help kick this thread off, i'd post my very first shave with a straight. I recorded it just in case there'd be any comedic bloodletting, lol

you'll get to see me struggle with all the angles and do most of my shaving without stretching my skin! I hope you get a chuckle or two - i do!
Right at 5 min you can see me give myself the one and only nick on my right jawline.

Nice video. That mirror would drive me crazy.:lol:

Top Bottom