What's new

New straight shaver, not sure what I'm looking for.

Hey guys, just started straight shaving this month. It's going absolutely amazingly, except afterwards my skin is left feeling really dried out, is an aftershave what I'm looking for, or something else entirely? I tried digging through the guide to aftershave thread, but frankly stuff like Witch Hazel and Shea Butter Cream look like Greek to me.

I'd recommend a good moisturizing balm, of which there are many to choose. An alcohol splash could dry and usually won't moisturize. Witch hazel soothes, but I don't think will moisturize much. A balm should add extra moisture. I quite like the Nuetrogena Triple Protect Lotion, and there are lots of other balms, many of which match an EDT fragrance - if you have a favorite cologne or edt, you may be able to find one to match it.

Also - Are you using a new soap or cream as well? What are you using? Some soaps are more drying than others. Depending on what you are using to shave with, a change may solve your dry skin problem.

Go pick up some Nivea Sensitive aftershave balm from the drug store. It's fantastic and fairly cheap.

proxy.php

Definitely start with a Nivea aftershave, cheap, good and will give you a great benchmark for other aftershaves.

Could be your cream or soap that is drying as well.

Go pick up some Nivea Sensitive aftershave balm from the drug store. It's fantastic and fairly cheap.

proxy.php

I've got the Extreme Comfort aftershave balm, which is also very highly reviewed (and I agree, it is a good balm), but I find myself reaching for the Nuetrogena Triple Protect more often.

I too had that problem when starting out. If you can locate some 444 - it is a Portugese product and quite mentholated - it just might do the trick. I mix a little in with my aftershave and once that has dried, finish with some regular ASB.

Alright! Thanks for the suggestions! I'm currently using Tabac as my soap btw.

I've not used Tabac, but I know it is a tallow based soap, so it may be drying your skin. You may want to add a glycerin based soap to your rotation for a trial test... I recommend a cheap puck of Van Der Hagen "Deluxe Shaving Soap" from the bottom shelf at Wal Mart (or many other stores) -it's only about $1.50 so you aren't out anything if you don't like it, and it works as well or better than most other glycerine soaps at any cost. It has aloe vera and shea butter already in it. Try using it exclusively for a week and see if your skin does better. Definitely get a balm for the days you use Tabac.

I'm sure all of the above are great balms, but it's also possible that the shave is taking longer than usual and by the time the razor passes the lather is getting dry. This can also occur when the lather is initially made very fluffy but without enough water, as well as (and this is the one that sometimes still gets me) lather will dry up and provide less protection if you use water that is too hot.
Drying lather takes all of your skin's moisture with it, IMHO, especially when you are using a straight. Tabac, etc. are soaps. Soaps and natural oils in your skin do not mix well; wetter lather might be your friend here. Or even a different soap (try one of QED's glycerine soaps, for instance, or a Col. Conk from the mall...)
Also, play a little with the angle of your blade. It's obvious you have it shaving, perhaps try a little shallower angle to be a little easier on the skin also.
I'd bet you fix your issue with one of the above, without actually having to make a purchase at all.

Remember, big huge billowing lather is great for presentation, and possibly DE's to an extent, but with straights you want a close "heavy house paint" looking lather that sticks close to your skin giving better protection. It isn't supposed to look just like that stuff from a can, IMHO.

Hope this helps. At any rate you can try all of these possibilities without spending any $$$.

Good to see more people coming to the dark side.

John P.

I'd recommend Proraso aftershave balm. If you really beat your face up it can be a bit unpleasant for a minute or two, but then feels great! Not cheap, but not expensive compared to some of the stuff out there.

Top Bottom