What's new

New Sextoblade owner

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
I started traditional wetshaving on Christmas Day with a vintage Gillette my sister got me, and since then I've gotten sicker :lol:. Inevitably I had to come to straights. I picked up this Weck Sextoblade in an antique shop today. I've spent the last few days reading about the differences between real straights vs. disposable blade straights, and in almost every respect I think I'd prefer the real thing. I went with disposable based on the cost. I know it's not going to be a perfect analogue for a traditional straight, but I think it should be close enough to give me an idea if it's for me, at which point I can shell out the money for a better razor & accessories, or ditch this one without losing too much.

I haven't cleaned it up yet or bought blades for it. It still has a Weck blade in it, but no guard (didn't want the guard anyway).
$sextoblade.jpg

I have been shaving with a straight for about 6 months now. What really impressed me about shaving with a straight is the lack of irritation. I have had a few nicks shallow slices etc, but for the most part, very comfortable irritation free shaves.
I recently picked up a Weck for something new to try and maybe for travel. And I have not gotten the same experience at all. My first shave was a wreck (pun intended) I quit after 4 nicks / cuts. I was so frustrated that I finished with a DE. I went back to shaving with a straight to let my face recover and in the meantime, I muted the corners of the blade (persona hair shaper blade) and stropped the blade with the intent to smooth it out. I did shave with it again and this time no cuts, but I did get some irritation on my neck. I have not given up on it, but I am thinking why bother when my normal straights give me no irritation.
I would suggest keeping a very low angle, have the spine almost touching your face. Use a very light touch, as long as you are removing the lather, that will probably be enough pressure. AND do everything else that is recommended when shaving with a straight, prep, skin stretching, calm attitude etc. Just don’t write off straights if you don’t get along with your weck.

My first straight shave was (is) with a Sextoblade .. and It went great .. zero irritation (personna blade) and no cuts whatsoever although granted I was slow :001_rolle

and from what I read the Sextoblade (and alike) are like the middle ground between the disposables (that use half a blade from DE razor) and the real straight.

I have the guard .. but didn't (don't use) used it except on the first strokes.

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
I would suggest keeping a very low angle, have the spine almost touching your face. Use a very light touch, as long as you are removing the lather, that will probably be enough pressure. AND do everything else that is recommended when shaving with a straight, prep, skin stretching, calm attitude etc. Just don’t write off straights if you don’t get along with your weck.
Yep, that's the stuff I was wanting to work on, as well as just getting a feel for handling a straight. My reading has pointed out that a disposable blade isn't as forgiving as a regular razor, and I'll try to remember that if I get bit.

and from what I read the Sextoblade (and alike) are like the middle ground between the disposables (that use half a blade from DE razor) and the real straight.
I read that too. That's what drew me toward the Sextoblade.

Shoot me your address (PM please) and I will send you a few blades to try.
Thanks! PM sent.

Nice razor. The Sextoblades are fine and they are what you heard - a nice introduction to straights. The blades are not as robust as a Feather AC blade but you they are also cheaper by half. If you want to get anal, you can strop them successfully. They are stiffer than a razor blade and won't spring or dig in unexpectedly. I consider them the very best cheap look at straight shaving. I've tried four different types of blades. Personna, Fromm, Pro-Mate and Brittny. I've also seen Vincent and Diane blades on eBay. Of the four I tried, the Pro-Mate is my favorite but it requires you squeeze the spine of the holder so it will fit nicely. I used a pair of Vice-Grips to squish it slightly. Once you get it to fit, they are milder than the others, quite a bit stiffer, and give a nice shave. The Personnas and Fromms are both good, too. The Brittny is dog poop.

Top Bottom