What's new

New Norton honer with some full edge restore questions

Alright... So. One of the great things about being in aviation is that one of my buddies is a corrosion prevention guru and also knows a good deal about honing. I brought all of my stuff in to show him and after he looked at it he was able to determine that at some point the blade was exposed to really high heat, such as a hot plate, to cause a certain pitting and caused the spine to slightly warp and be uneven. Something I didn't notice most likely due to my inexperience. We pulled out the 220 and he laid it flat on there and he pointed out a couple of spots where the edge wasn't making full contact and we started going to work flattening the spine. It had a slight bend in it that you could only see if you were looking for it. The hatching on the spine revealed where it wasn't making full contact.

this was causing the heel of the blade to be much sharper than the rest of it, and also caused me to over hone on the rest of the edge. I'm going to continue working on flattening out the spine then I'll give an update on how the edge is coming after that. He gave me a lot of good info and another B&B member offered to meet with me this week to help me hone my honing skills.

On another hand my blanks showed up for scales today. Lacewood, African mahogany and wenge $image.jpg

Mo know everyone wanted to see some pics so here they are of my first restoration. This is for my brother in law for Christmas. I put an edge on it after the pics and it turned out really good. I shaved with it twice and no tug or pull. I'm pretty happy for it being my first one. Now I gotta get a couple more blades. It's quite a fun hobby!$image.jpg
$image.jpg$image.jpg

Looks very nice I'm sure your brother in law will love it. Glad you got your honing problem figured out.

All the best FrankC

$image.jpg$image.jpg
I completely ground that edge on the "bad" razor down flat and I'm going to attempt a full restoration tonight. If I'm lucky I'll be able to avoid the frown it so naturally wants to have.

you might want to grind off a bit of the heel so that the stabilizer does not rest on the hone, lifting the heel end of the blade for part of your honing stroke.

I may just do that. Thanks for the advice! Being my first restorations all advice is always welcome

$image.jpg$image.jpg$image.jpgRestoration number 2. I've had 24 hours to work on this one. The only thing, and I still stand by this, is that this razor wil not take a decent edge. I think I may be sending this one away to have it honed. Anyone know of any good hone Meisters in the Washington state area?

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Top Bottom