What's new

New, non-tallow Tabac reviews go in here

Actually in germany many people think that the new one has better
properties and that it doesnt dry out that fast,
so they see the new version as an improvement.

What is the basis of your statement
"actually in germany many people think that the new one has better properties"?

Could you pls shoot me a PM providing the links of those german forum posts who prefer the new formula as claimed by you in the other thread?

I haven't found them as of yet. I only could find one positive review (Forum der Rasur). The post reads quite similar to your evaluation, tbh. But maybe this is just a coincidence, who knows?

Thx.

Last edited:

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
1628248008875.gif

If I understand you correctly, and I may not, my previous use of the word "synthetic" is the issue you have. I accept the Laurate's used by Tabac in their new formula may not be synthetic. From what I understand from soap makers, their is a signicant cost difference between Cocoate / Tallowate and Laurates.
I understand you like the old formula and don't want it changed. However, scaring away potential Tabac customers with misinformation, false narratives and bad assumptions about this change is not good. I'd just like us to stick close to the facts as best we can.

Once again, Cocoates contain Laurates. Lauric acid is the most valuable portion of the coconut oil, not some cheap byproduct.

I posted this to another forum , but thought i would share it here too.

My new formula Tabac arrived this morning and whilst I can't compare to the old one as I have never used it (I avoid Tallow) what I would say is that the performance of the soap is excellent , I face lathered and after a short load from the puck I had lots of very nice lather , applied to the face and then hydrated it produced a rich creamy lather , with plenty of cushion and some serious slickness.

I am not sure if I like or dislike the scent , but there is plenty of that too.

I am a massive fan of Saponificio Varesino and I would say the Tabac Matched it in all of the key areas of Slickness, Cushion , and Richness of Lather. It was maybe not as good in the post shave as S.V.

As always YMMV.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
I posted this to another forum , but thought i would share it here too.

My new formula Tabac arrived this morning and whilst I can't compare to the old one as I have never used it (I avoid Tallow) what I would say is that the performance of the soap is excellent , I face lathered and after a short load from the puck I had lots of very nice lather , applied to the face and then hydrated it produced a rich creamy lather , with plenty of cushion and some serious slickness.

I am not sure if I like or dislike the scent , but there is plenty of that too.

I am a massive fan of Saponificio Varesino and I would say the Tabac Matched it in all of the key areas of Slickness, Cushion , and Richness of Lather. It was maybe not as good in the post shave as S.V.

As always YMMV.

Glad you enjoyed your shave, but this is not about comparing the new Tabac to other products ... it's about evaluating the reformulation of this product. If you avoid tallow you're not adding much to the discussion. Plenty of folks like MdC, too, without tallow, but it has nothing to do with the reformulation of Tabac.

Very few products (maybe could count them on your fingers) could match the old Tabac in slickness, cushion and what you call richness (density?) of lather. The question here is does the new formulation match it or not.

Glad you enjoyed your shave, but this is not about comparing the new Tabac to other products ... it's about evaluating the reformulation of this product. If you avoid tallow you're not adding much to the discussion. Plenty of folks like MdC, too, without tallow, but it has nothing to do with the reformulation of Tabac.

Very few products (maybe could count them on your fingers) could match the old Tabac in slickness, cushion and what you call richness (density?) of lather. The question here is does the new formulation match it or not.
That's why I compared it to a soap that I am told by those who use both can match it on all counts.

this is not about comparing the new Tabac to other products ... it's about evaluating the reformulation of this product. . . . The question here is does the new formulation match it or not.
The original post lays out the expectation "New stuff reviews only, . . . If you have the New Formula Tabac, write it up here, please." Thank you @RussellR5555 for contributing and adding to the discussion based on your actual use of the product. That is why I keep following this thread. I am losing interest as there are 3 pages with very few reviews.

That's why I compared it to a soap that I am told by those who use both can match it on all counts.

IME and IMHO, this is essentially true. SV is a top tier product and the old formulation of Tabac was comparable to it on most aspects, especially ease of lathering, slickness, residual slickness and stability of lather. If the new formulation is still comparable to SV, I'm more than happy. It's great that the new formulation can be attractive to a broader audience.

Thank you for taking one for the team and also for posting your review, here! :)

...until we get more reviews, I would keep the subjective opinions about the soap aside.
Point taken, but I don't think it is that unreasonable to assume the people developing the new formula would like it to be at least as good or even an improvement over the previous version.

Can you imagine them getting together and saying: "OK, guys let's ruin one of our famous products! It'll be so terrible, we might even get promoted!"?

:biggrin:

I understand you like the old formula and don't want it changed. However, scaring away potential Tabac customers with misinformation, false narratives and bad assumptions about this change is not good. I'd just like us to stick close to the facts as best we can.

Once again, Cocoates contain Laurates. Lauric acid is the most valuable portion of the coconut oil, not some cheap byproduct.

I do not recognise the false assertions you are making; you are misleadingly being selective in the information you are using in order to bolster a weak and tepid argument in favour of synthetic laurates. Wet-shavers are making the choice; clearly, your misleading narrative does not hold water with them.

Last edited:
I do not recognise the false assertions you are making; you are misleadingly being selective in the information you are using in order to bolster a weak and tepid argument in favour of laurates. Wet-shavers are making the choice; clearly, your misleading assertions do not hold water.
You don't recognize Basic Chemistry? OK, then. I'm not sure what to say to that.

Laurates are already in the old formula Tabac! They are 50% of the Cocoates! Do you dispute that? It is customary to explain one's position with reason and arguments, which you are not even attempting to do. You may as well say "White is black, because I wish it to be so".

You don't recognize Basic Chemistry? OK, then. I'm not sure what to say to that.

Laurates are already in the old formula Tabac! They are 50% of the Cocoates! Do you dispute that? It is customary to explain one's position with reason and arguments, which you are not even attempting to do. You may as well say "White is black, because I wish it to be so".

...Laurates can be synthetic or natural; synthetic laurates are used by soap manufacturers for cleansing, emulsifying or as a surfactant. Tabac has replaced a natural surfactant, potassium cocoate and removed tallow. I have the old and new formulations of Tabac, Hasslinger, Lea and some of the traditional English soaps of yesteryear. I notice a difference; yes the difference could be subjective, but here is the point, many other forums members also comment on the difference. That does not mean some will not prefer the new formulation, perhaps you will. Check out the many threads across multiple forums on the reformulations of the above soaps before denigrating others views or attempting to make "white is black because you wish it to be so".

Last edited:

lasta

Blade Biter
IME and IMHO, this is essentially true. SV is a top tier product and the old formulation of Tabac was comparable to it on most aspects, especially ease of lathering, slickness, residual slickness and stability of lather. If the new formulation is still comparable to SV, I'm more than happy. It's great that the new formulation can be attractive to a broader audience.

Thank you for taking one for the team and also for posting your review, here! :)

SV is OK.

But how dare you mention it in the same sentence as vintage Tabac?

...Laurates can be synthetic or natural; synthetic laurates are used by soap manufacturers for cleansing, emulsifying or as a surfactant. Tabac has replaced a natural surfactant, potassium cocoate and removed tallow. I have the old and new formulations of Tabac, Hasslinger, Lea and some of the traditional English soaps of yesteryear. I notice a difference; yes the difference could be subjective, but here is the point, many other forums members also comment on the difference. That does not mean some will not prefer the new formulation, perhaps you will. Check out the many threads across multiple forums on the reformulations of the above soaps before denigrating others views or attempting to make "white is black because you wish it to be so".
I'm not denigrating anybody for preferring the older tallow soaps. That's up to them. It's their preference.

Sure, there have been some bad reformulations in the past, but that's not a guarantee for the future. I think we need more people to give honest reviews of the new Tabac without assuming it is bad just because the formula has changed. I think good soaps can be made with and without tallow, based on what I've tried.

There is a bias towards tallow soaps for many people in this forum. However, if you go to some of the Euro forums, that bias is not so common.

reviews are how i judge products to buy, and how I came across tabac :)

Never tried SV, but am a fan of McD.. as much as I enjoy the lather from this soap, for me, it cant reach the heights of tabac more than likely due to my hard water

looking forward to reading more reviews on the new tabac

I think good soaps can be made with and without tallow, based on what I've tried.

I agree that there are good non-tallow soaps also...never suggested otherwise. I do go on the German forum and occassionally one of the Spanish forums. I am not sure I would characterise a preference for tallow as a bias but lets agree to disagree :)

Top Bottom