What's new

New Improved Version of Ri Mei/Sodial Razor

I finally broke down and spent big money ($2.27) for a Ri Mei razor. I ordered it from Panda Town under the Sodial name on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/SODIAL-Silver-Double-Shaver-Nonslip/dp/B00A7239EK

The description from that link says it is all metal, but the description from the the "silvertone" razor (link blow) and several of the recent Amazon reviews from that link say it has a plastic handle.

http://www.amazon.com/Silver-Double-Shaver-Nonslip-Handle/dp/B0050HO9MI/ref=pd_sbs_hpc_1

I was willing to accept that the little knob at the bottom would come unscrewed, but I wanted an all metal handle. I understood that there was some risk the safety guard could be bent upon arrival and/or that the blade exposure and/or gap might not be even. As it would not pay to return the razor to Hong Kong, I figured I was taking a gamble. The razor was shipped the day after I placed the order and finally arrived at my place in Chicago two weeks and six days after I placed the order. Not so quick, but well worth the wait.

The razor I received is substantial and is all metal. It is not as heavy as a Merkur 34C, but it is quite heavy and well balanced. The finish is not perfect, but it is very good and much better than I expected at the price point. The handle on the razor I received is slightly different than shown in the photos on Amazon. First of all, It has cross hatching down most of the handle rather than just lines. Second of all, it is one piece. There is no bottom piece which unscrews. So this is a true three piece razor.

I read somewhere after I had ordered the razor but before I had received it that they had come out with a new version of the razor. Apparently, I received the new version. The handle is great, the threads function very well and it is not slippery even when wet. The cap and bottom plate seem somewhat less substantial than other higher quality razors, but they are metal and they do not bend or flex at all.

I loaded a blade and the blade exposure appeared perfect on both sides. However, the blade gap on one of the sides was mostly the same as the other side, but at one end it was smaller by a small amount. I removed the blade and discovered that the edge of the cap on that side had a very slight bump on the seam that I thought was from casting which had not been removed prior to plating which was causing it to push down on the end of one side of the blade which had the smaller blade gap. I knew it would bother me even before I shaved with it, so I filed it down to make it even. The bump was removed, but the finish was not destroyed as it turned out to be extra plating material. I loaded a blade and now the blade gap and blade exposure are perfect without a lot of fiddling as is required with some other three piece razors. Moreover, the balance of the razor is just right. This razor can be used by relying on the weight of the razor and without applying pressure.

I have a beard, so I only used it to shave my neck below the jaw line of my beard and my upper cheeks. I am prone to ingrown hairs (which is why I have the beard) and therefore never go ATG. Rather, I only do one pass of short strokes with some buffing, which is what I did with this razor. Using a Red IP blade, I got an excellent shave from this razor which lasted all day and into the night. It was both comfortable and close without any irritation. The blade angle required with this shaver was very intuitive. It just falls into place naturally.

It may not be an heir loom razor, but at $2.27, including the shipping, I am very very impressed. It is worth much more. I have attached some photos below. In light of some recent comments from the silvertone version reviewers and the silvertone description stating that that razor has a plastic handle, I would advise anyone ordering to order the Sodial version to avoid getting one with a plastic handle. Happy shaving to all.

$IMAG0086.jpg$IMAG0087.jpg$IMAG0089.jpg$IMAG0090.jpg$IMAG0092.jpg

At $2.27 delivered, I don't even see how it's worth while for the company to sell these razors, but who cares, that's their issue.

Looks cool!

New or Old handle, you cannot bit the price. Very good shaver a bit more aggressive than Gillette Tech. Very good choice as a travel companion since it comes with a nice plastic case.

I bought one several months ago for the heck of it. It does as it is designed. Shaves pretty good. I wouldn't hesitate taking it on a trip and I wouldn't worry if I accidentally left it behind in a motel room. Can't say that about my vintage Gillettes. I'm pretty certain the blade tray portion of the razor is stamped metal.

I've been straight shaving for a few months but I ordered a social on amazon about a month ago to give it a try. I also received a rimei like the one pictured above. Used it Saturday with an Astra sp and got a fantastic shave-- one of the closest ive ever had. Could just start to feel some growth by the time I went to bed. The razor was very comfortable to use. No difficulty leering the weight of the razor do the work. I have no other de experience to compare to, but for the price, I'm immensely satisfied. Took about three weeks for delivery to me in tampa.

The first rimei that I received was the four piece model. The next three that I received were the "newer" model as described above. I had a bunch of .177 lead pellets that I scrunched up and put in the handle of the four piece and now its weight is very close to the "newer" model.

I bought the sodial version off amazon it is a decent razor. Has some weight to it the finish is decent. I recently got a vintage Gillette I would not like to travel with it because if I lost it I would be mad. The sodial is darn near disposable so I suppose it will be my travel razor from now on.
For the price this razor will teach/show you a picture of what to expect with de shaving I think it's a good starter. Btw mine was about 2.24 shipped. And was 4 piece metal I got it in January this year

Hmmm. Tempted to buy a couple of these to give out to friends curious about DE shaving. Looks like a competent Fat Handle Tech clone. That would be a great introductory razor.

FoiledAgain, just curious, are you a Blue October fan??

Plywood99, I had never heard of them or their release of Foiled until I Googled them after reading your question. So in short, the answer is no.

My screen name comes about through shaving, as follows: After being plagued by an ingrown hair problem while DE shaving in my teens and early 20s, I switched to a foil style electric shaver. Some years ago, I switched to a rotary style electric shaver. I redeveloped the ingrown hair problem and switched back to a foil style electric shaver. Thus, I became "foiled again."

I have used the FoiledAgain screen name for many years on the Electric Razor Rap forum and the Electric Shaver Forum. About a year ago, my ingrown hair problem returned with a vengeance on either side of my chin after Remington changed how they make the foils on the shaver I was using. I tried other electrics, but they did not work for me. I found this forum while searching for a solution. When I registered, I decided to stick with the same screen name. After all, a foil is a type of blade.

Unfortunately, the only way I was able to solve my ingrown hair problem this time was to grow a beard and use a home made version of a product known as tend skin (which I discovered on this forum). One could say that I was again foiled!

My problem area is now finally healed, but I'm not ready to risk a new outbreak by shaving the beard. So for now, on my face I am using a DE razor to shave my upper cheeks and my jawline below the beard. I still use an electric shaver to shave the rest of my bald head as it seems to result in a better shave for me in that location with no blood letting as compared to using a DE razor.

I expect one day to shave my face again, and when I do, I expect I will try to do so with the ever mild and well balanced new version of the RiMei which I recently bought. Despite many attempts over the years, I have never been able to get an irritation and ingrown free shave with cartridges or with my Merkur 34C which I bought over 25 years ago before I started using electrics. Now that I have the RiMei, I expect that my Merkur will end up on the b/s/t soon.

Last edited:
My Sodial / Ri Mei razor arrived yesterday. The handle is solid metal, very substantial. It appears to be red brass, based on the color of the tapped hole in the top of the handle. Knurling is adequate. Plating is shiny, maybe Cr? It doesn't look like Ni. The baseplate is thin, stamped metal. Top cap is heavier, on the order of a Tech. Plating overall is okay, but not great.

On the aggressiveness scale, this razor rates a 10+. I don't have a feeler gauge, but just eyeballing it the blade gap is ~1.5x that on a Super Adjustable at 9. Blade exposure is maybe 2x. The blade really is just hanging out there.

The shave is very close. With the large gap and exposure, no pressure really is the key here. The razor is not sensitive to angle of attack, again because of the high exposure.

I can see this razor as a good Dopp addition. At $2.19 with free shipping I don't think forgetting it in a hotel room would be a terrible hardship.

To the OP, which seller did you purchase from? There are plenty within a few cents of each other, I would just like to maximize my chances of getting the new-and-improved version (otherwise I'd spend the big bucks and get the cased version from DX.com).

To the OP, which seller did you purchase from? There are plenty within a few cents of each other, I would just like to maximize my chances of getting the new-and-improved version (otherwise I'd spend the big bucks and get the cased version from DX.com).

I purchased under the Sodial name from Panda Town. It was a few pennies more, but I had read in the comments that they ship faster and they seemed to have a slightly higher customer satisfaction rating.

Thanks for the heads up. I'd bought a Sodial in April and liked it quite a bit -- it's a knock-off of a Gillette Tech, and for $2.25 gives you a shave somewhere in the range of 93-98% as good as an actual tech, which will run you about $20-35, depending on quality.

My only complaints about the Sodial were that (a) even though it's made of actual metal, and has a bit of heft (more so than the feather light aluminum Weishi, which is a knock-off of the Gillette Super Speed), I still wished it had more weight; and (b) the bottom end cap had a tendency to unscrew, which was annoying and inconvenient, although easily fixed with a drop of superglue or epoxy.

Nonetheless, the Sodial gives a delightfully smooth and (do go the full three passes) close shave, so easily, comfortably and safely -- it's very easy to find the broad sweet shaving angle for this razor and it's really hard to nick yourself with -- it's pretty much idiot proof. While the quality of the metal and finish make me suspect it won't last more than 2-3 years, that's actually just right. If someone takes to DE shaving and sticks with it for two years, by that time they should get a higher quality razor. The Sodial is the ideal razor to give to people as an intro to DE shaving, and thus perfect for my Super Cost Effective DE Starter Gift Kit for $25. For $2.25 you can give these razors away like candy. So, I bought six of them, for a whopping $13.50.

They just arrived a week ago. I hadn't even opened them up, until I read this thread -- the new design fixes exactly the issues I'd raised in my earlier reviews. The handle's now solid (not a hollow tube), a heavier and more substantial which is perfect, and is all one piece -- no annoying end cap. Seems like Rimei is reading B&B...

Last edited:
Top Bottom