What's new

New Improved Version of Ri Mei/Sodial Razor

My RiMei A2003 has been sitting unused for a while. I had gotten the Micro Touch One aka Weishi and was excited to try something new that's supposed to be better than a $2 razor. I was getting great shaves at first but lately not so much. This morning I put the RiMei to my face and got a better shave than I've had in weeks -- less irritation, faster, closer. I think the TTO razor's bulk and lack of bending the blade results in the angle of attack not being as good as it is with the simple RiMei 3-piece with its relatively sleek top cap. I'm not even a blade angle perfectionist like it seems the rest of B&B is, I run long strokes with dynamic angle control that supposedly shouldn't work, but this morning's RiMei shave was a treat after a month of the Weishi TTO.

I just bought (Jul 25, 2014) three RiMei from Dealextreme for $12 with free shipping. They arrived in about three weeks and were the new version in the blue plastic case with a mirror. Very nice and worth much more then $4! I used one for the handle and kept one for my collection. I ordered three more so that I'll have four for giving out as gifts.

I put the handle onto my Lord L6. What an upgrade.
Rimei is a well known and respected brand in China, and is frequently knocked off by other small manufacturers. Although it is illegal in China to knock off other brands, the practice is rampant and there is little enforcement of the law.
China has the largest number of adult shavers in the world, and the most common form of shaving is DE.
If you are buying a genuine Rimei, the finish should be near flawless and the fit, overall finish, and balance should be excellent. The composition of the razor is a heavy stamped steel base plate and the top piece and handle are a copper alloy. The entire unit is triple chrome plated.The handle is compatible with nearly all other DE shavers and the parts are completely interchangeable with some the older Gillette tech's. Unfortunately, because the average Chinese make does not have a heavy beard and doesn't require a super sharp blade, the blades are less sharp than most other brands.
For the most part, the Rimei is nothing more than a copy of the Gillette Tech, but slightly more aggressive. In China they can be purchased at any corner store for $1.25 US.
Although the stamped base plate at first glance looks thinner than some other high end brands, you would literally need a vice and a hammer to bend it. The Rimei knock offs are junk and are sometimes sold as RiMe or RiMi brand. They are not the same razor and the parts are not interchangeable. The Junji and similar are not Rimei. Hope this helps.

I definitely did not get a real RiMei then, because mine was junk.

I stated earlier in this thread that it is pot luck what you get from a vendor in China. Check out my post #67 in this thread and some after that for photos of the different packaging.

I recently purchased from " gamesalor" an eBay vendor and got the good RiMei in the blue plastic box for my first order and then the second order was the junk Ri,Mei on the aqua card.

I really think they don't have a clue about the differences and wonder why we get annoyed or make a "not as described" claim.

As DonMac has stated above, there are plenty of fakes out there but the volume must be huge to justify that effort for an item that retails in China for just over a dollar.

I bought this rimei, its not 4 piece ie tbr knob is able to unscrew and there's no case. Pretty decent shave overall, def bang for buck shave.

On both Amazon and EBay I noticed there are some razors apparently sold as a RiMei, that are definitely not real RiMei's. It looks like they take a RiMei blade and offer it along with a knockoff razor causing the viewer to assume they are both the same brand.

I started this thread a year and five months ago and I have to say, the RiMei is still my go to razor. It has held up with no visual signs of wear or corrosion.

Sad, tragic case of marketing failure. I do my part; will you buy a box and join me at the flea market?

Everyone else, keep drinkin' that fake Merkur Kool-Aid. Now in stainless steel! "Pot metal" is bad, but the metal pots are made from is more precious than silver?

I hope to add a good new version Remei to my collection. Maybe this has been covered already, but DX has two listed. Anyone know if there's a difference?

http://www.dx.com/p/rimei-stainless-steel-double-edge-blade-razor-silver-116281

http://www.dx.com/p/rimei-men-s-manual-razor-shaver-silver-201352

I've ordered the first one. I like the free package tracking from DX if you spend > $15. But sometimes I've found (years ago) that DX took over a month to ship and arrive.

There's lots of Ebay sellers showing what looks in the pictures to be exactly the same for a buck less than DX with free shipping.
If you've ordered a good Remei from ebay what seller, and do you recommend buying from them?

Sounds like Ozziedoc (post #227) recommends avoiding the seller "gamesalor" who ships various types at random.
The photo from this seller looks like the older 4 pc type, and different from DX type.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/171330426187

Last edited:
This blogger reports a similar flaw in his Rimei razor guard rail being bent as well. (Ordered from Ebay)
Shows pictures as well as measuring the angle of blade exposure.

http://shavelikegrandad.blogspot.ca/2015/01/rimei-razor-is-initial-disappointment.html

Further discussion here:
http://sharpologist.com/2015/02/chinese-razors-ive-known.html

He also discusses the confusion / deception by sellers with the different types of 'RiMei' razors being sold
http://shavelikegrandad.blogspot.ca/2015/01/more-on-rimei-confusion.html

Last edited:
Got mine from aliexpress today for $3.49..Looks like a fake as described above from Jinda.Labeled as A-2002 the razor head and baseplate look straight,but the blades bend on one end,I'm thinking the stabilization tabs are too close to the blade.The wording on the cardboard is a real laugh riot....Will try the razor in the morning with a good blade.

Attachments

• $IMG_0009.jpg
    $IMG_0009.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 96
  • $IMG_0011.jpg
    $IMG_0011.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 94
  • $IMG_0005.jpg
    $IMG_0005.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 93
  • $IMG_0006.jpg
    $IMG_0006.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 94
  • $IMG_0001.jpg
    $IMG_0001.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 95
Hello all, I ordered two from Fasttech model 2003. I love these razors, they are inexpensive, efficient and very well built. I have ordered five more since I gave one to my friend. Waiting for them to be delivered, should be here tomorrow.

Top Bottom