What's new

New guy check in

Hi guys, I'm Stephen and I'm a new wet shaver. I've been at it about a month with varying degrees of acceptable to surprisingly good results with DE shaves. I'm hooked and I know it. I can already hear the voice in the back of my mind whispering "straight razor", but there's that other voice screaming slow your roll.

I'm working through some cream and blade samplers from WCS, and enjoying the process.

Today I learned a valuable lesson, one I feel is worth passing on. If you're going to loosen the head on your razor to rinse things off better after your shave, check the head before each shave. Today I failed to tighten things up. I managed to not butcher my face, but picked up a couple of definitely unnecessary nicks, and generally irritated the hell out of my neck. Moral of the story, do not repeat.

Hello and welcome, Stephen. Great to have you here on B&B. Wander on over to the Hall of Fame and introduce yourself more fully.

Dang, Jim. You beat me!!

It might be the first blood-letting but it won't be the last.
Welcome to B&B

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Oh no, not the first. Surely not the last. Most likely not even the worst. Just enough to hammer home this particular lesson.

I was so confused after an impressive 1st go round with a Feather blade, then the second shave was this one. Then I realized I was the problem.

Welcome to the B&B forums. Lessons are good. It's the things we don't learn from that cause us to repeat it.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Welcome Stephen. Your enthusiasm is contagious. Enjoy the new hobby, I'm a year and a half in and wet shaving has become second nature to me. And lately I'm wondering what I like better, actually using a DE razor or the shave soap. What shaving gear are you using? A vintage razor or modern?

Take care, and happy shaving.

So I started off with the Van Der Hagen TTO and had pretty good luck. I quickly realized their blades were not for me, so I ordered a blade sample pack from WCS & a Merkur 1904. Things quickly started looking up. Tried some Derby blades and a couple of the Astra SS & SP. Damn YouTube. So much great advise to speed the learning curve, so many fantastic products.

I couldn't stop looking at the PAA DOC, so I ordered one. Upgraded my brush & picked up a cream sampler from WCS again. So I decided with all the mild talk surrounding the DOC, I'd strap on a feather and go for it. WOW! Then came the great loose head debacle, different wow! And today was shave 3 on that set up. Amazing. No more buying for a while. I'm gonna work through all the samplers I have and try to keep good notes so future purchases are from a more informed perspective as opposed to "why the heck not".

So I started off with the Van Der Hagen TTO and had pretty good luck. I quickly realized their blades were not for me, so I ordered a blade sample pack from WCS & a Merkur 1904. Things quickly started looking up. Tried some Derby blades and a couple of the Astra SS & SP. Damn YouTube. So much great advise to speed the learning curve, so many fantastic products.

I couldn't stop looking at the PAA DOC, so I ordered one. Upgraded my brush & picked up a cream sampler from WCS again. So I decided with all the mild talk surrounding the DOC, I'd strap on a feather and go for it. WOW! Then came the great loose head debacle, different wow! And today was shave 3 on that set up. Amazing. No more buying for a while. I'm gonna work through all the samplers I have and try to keep good notes so future purchases are from a more informed perspective as opposed to "why the heck not".
Keep us posted

Top Bottom