What's new

New Grip for a Feather RG

The original grip was too worn. What are my options for a new grip?

Attachments

• $Feather 003.jpg
    $Feather 003.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 174
  • $Feather 007.jpg
    $Feather 007.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 176
Hmm....I think you could make something out of foam, if you're trying to save $$. Otherwise, I'd send it to one of our straight razor rescaling artists, and get a nice ebony handle made for it.

Maybe Joe Edson would be open to tackling it.

I have no experience making grips but have wondered whether a pliable putty like Sugru would work: http://sugru.com/

This would be easiest for a non-folding design but basically, copy the handle from an existing non-folding Feather using a mold and then reform it using Sugru or something similar.

those blue rubber handles are a problem..they get the handle all rusted..yea took me 3 tries with jewelery cleaner to clean it up..I stopped using anything on the handles..works a bit better as you feel it in your hands and the angle as well

The RG is brass, so rust will not be an issue, but the rubber Tosuke grip will not fit on that shaft, and it will look strange even if it does.

Are you interested in making the handle yourself? If so, you can make an inexpensive set of scales from wood and waxed string that would look really different and probably very nice on the RG. PM sent with more info.

Here is an example that was used for a Kami - if you can't find the string, I can send you enough to do the handle.

I think it would look nice with real wood handles, too. What a nice blank slate to work with!

$YasukisteelBikenCleanup7.jpg

Last edited:
Ok, how about silicone pressure sensitive tape?

If that's what I think it is, we called it F-4 tape in the Air Force. I worked with it so much that if I NEVER see any again, it'll be too soon! As for using it to make a razor handle -- I suspect that the tape would split at exactly the wrong instant, possibly causing a cut, and even if it didn't, you'd have to replace the tape.

Remember to overlap 50% -- or up to the green stripe in the middle.

Like this:

I like that. How the heck did he make those scales? They are just awesome - though I might worry about functionality. When the scales are too nice, it becomes an issue with function - at least for me because I'm a slob.

My thought would be to make a nice set of mahogany or walnut scales with, maybe, a bit of inlay. Maybe, as was said, an ivory handle... yeah... that's the ticket...

Top Bottom