What's new

New Fatip

I have struggled with my Fatip Piccolo. It gives me great shaves, better than any of the other half dozen or so razors I own, but I struggle with the tiny handle. I think it would be great for someone younger and without arthritis, and perhaps with smaller hands. Most recently I tried a foam pencil grip; it worked well but would get squishy when wet, which was not pleasant.

So after looking at different options, I went ahead and bought a new wooden handled Fatip. As a bonus it's a great match to my cherry handled SOC Mistura brush. And the performance is just the same as my Piccolo.
2017-11-05 10.39.24.jpg
2017-11-05 10.40.01.jpg

Wood's not my thing, but I must admit it looks pretty nice.

Of course you also had the cheaper option of the Grande, I assume you realize.

There was also one more Grande option in that you could get the Safety Bar Gentile, which has the Grande handle, then swap that handle to your Piccolo head (making it a Grande), while still being able to play around with the Gentile when you want!

Wood's not my thing, but I must admit it looks pretty nice.

Of course you also had the cheaper option of the Grande, I assume you realize.

There was also one more Grande option in that you could get the Safety Bar Gentile, which has the Grande handle, then swap that handle to your Piccolo head (making it a Grande), while still being able to play around with the Gentile when you want!
I seriously considered that option, but wood is my thing, and I really liked the look of this handle. So I went for aesthetics over practicality.

Looks really classy! And, more important, if it works better for your needs, then that's great.

that does look nice, is that walnut? looks good matched with the wooden handled shaving brush too :001_smile
It’s zebrano wood. I had never heard of it before. Fatip offers a few different wood handles, including walnut, but this one I thought looked best. Also, it was the only one the seller on eBay had on offer, and he was a bit less expensive than the other sites.

Cool! Since you now have a duplicate of the razor head, just with a handle that suits your needs more, maybe consider selling or pif'ing your piccolo? Or maybe even initiating a pass around.

I only say that because I recently bought a piccolo and LOVE it and the OC FaTip's have really been taking this forum by storm. Could be a cool opportunity for someone to try out a new razor.

Cool! Since you now have a duplicate of the razor head, just with a handle that suits your needs more, maybe consider selling or pif'ing your piccolo? Or maybe even initiating a pass around.

I only say that because I recently bought a piccolo and LOVE it and the OC FaTip's have really been taking this forum by storm. Could be a cool opportunity for someone to try out a new razor.
At the moment I'm comparing the performance of the new vs. the old Fatip OC head. They should perform exactly the same, but my experience has been that it just doesn't always work that way. If I like the new one as much as the old, then I will probably sell or give away the Piccolo. I say "probably" because I might still want to use it from time to time on those rare, but occasional, days when my fingers are feeling limber and nimble.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Sweet, classy, and a Fatip! I love my Zebrano as well. The fit and finish is really nice, and at considerably less than half the cost of a wood handle Muhle. Who say's Fatip cannot compete with Merkur/Muhle/EJ? I really enjoy the handle! Enjoy and shave on!

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Wood is very nice to see to the eye, I was looking at Greydogs brushes he makes on his wood lathe and he is a shaving brush artist, tiger-wood is just awesome to the eye appeal. That Fatip with the wood-handle is very unique and different, warmer to the touch instead of cold metal in the winter mornings!

Top Bottom