What's new

New Fatip version 2 head

Notice from online vendor says:

Our entire stock of Nickel Grandes have the newer Version 2 head. If you are looking for the older (pre-2017) V1 head, we do not have any.

Anyone heard of Fatip issuing a new head version? If so, what are the differences? Has quality control improved?

Thanks

Ah... has the head geometry changed? Quality control improvements like with plating?

thanks

My info has it that the older V1 top cap is 18 mm, while the newer V2 has a 19 mm top cap. I don't have the newer version to compare them though. After viewing the video it appears that the difference is more than just a 1 mm difference in the top cap.

Last edited:
Notice from online vendor says: Anyone heard of Fatip issuing a new head version? If so, what are the differences? Has quality control improved?

Thanks

From everything I've read, quality control has improved immensely since the mold change. In the past, some razors had blade alignment issues so bad the razors were unusable, but since the mold change I haven't heard of that happening. Apparently, the V2 is less aggressive than v1. I received a nickel plated Fatip Grande about 2 weeks ago and it impresses me more each day. It's as nearly as smooth as tech, and nearly as efficient as an R41. For $25.00, it may be the best bang for the buck razor out there if you're in the market for a smooth & efficient razor.

The one caution I would add is that I have heard that there are still QC issues with the gunmetal plating in that it rubs off, and with the chrome in that it has imperfections. I've never heard a complaint about the nickel or gold though. My nickel version is perfect.

Yeah Dovo convinced me to give one a try, though I did go the conservative route with a Gentile. I went gold tone, the plating is not the best, but far from horrible.
The blade posts have none of the earlier welding issues, they are very cleanly installed.

There is wiggle room when putting a blade on, but again, far from horrible, you just have to eyeball it a bit, but it’s easy.

IMO totally worth giving one of these a shot, I love mine.

Yeah Dovo convinced me to give one a try, though I did go the conservative route with a Gentile. I went gold tone, the plating is not the best, but far from horrible.
The blade posts have none of the earlier welding issues, they are very cleanly installed.

There is wiggle room when putting a blade on, but again, far from horrible, you just have to eyeball it a bit, but it’s easy.

IMO totally worth giving one of these a shot, I love mine.

I've never tried the Fatip Gentile, but I've been hearing great things. It sounds like the Gentile is just a bit milder, but still extremely efficient, and a great choice for "recovery days". I just bought a RazoRock Mamba to fill that role, but if the Mamba is insufficiently rigid, I think I'll put the Gentile on my list for Santa. :001_smile

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Most people that have tried both agree that the new 19mm top cap is an improvement over the 18mm top cap. I also find they still tend to love both.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I've never tried the Fatip Gentile, but I've been hearing great things. It sounds like the Gentile is just a bit milder, but still extremely efficient, and a great choice for "recovery days".

Absolutely. It is also great for those times when switch up is due and visa versa. :001_smile

Okay, I pulled the trigger just now and purchased a ver. 2 head Piccolo in nickel from Maggard. On another note, the new Fatip Testina Gentile razor (totally different than the ver. 2 open comb head we've been talking about in this post) is apparently their new closed comb which was also designed to be milder than the open comb. I'll stick with open comb. Can't wait to check it out and post my impressions. Fatip, I'm giving you one last chance. Please don't disappoint!

I've had a Rockwell 6S since almost the beginning (two years now?). I just got a Fatip Grande a couple of weeks ago. I like to have both, but if someone put a gun to my head and made me choose between the two, I think I would take the Fatip at this point. All things considered in your OP, I definitely think you made the right choice.

Thanks JWK1!

I'll post my impressions once I've shaved with it. Just got an email letting me know its been shipped. :)

Okay. Just got the Piccolo in the mail. The issue with the blade alignment seems to have been fixed but the plating quality is still way below par. I won't be buying another.

Well that's a bummer... :001_unsur

I got mine from Maggard too, and nothing jumped out at me with respect to plating quality. That said, I probably don't know what to look for; I'm a long way from being an expert about plating. Do you have some pics? Maybe mine has issues as well? :(

Hello,

Nothing glaring, but scuffs and hairline scratches on the top cap and baseplate. Shaves well and milder than ver. 1 head. Not that expensive and glad its all brass. If they could just get the plating to even Merkur standards, they'd really have something. :)

Top Bottom