What's new

New Derby USTA De blade

The 3rd shave with his new Derby blade was vergood.I was suprized as I bought this blade on a whim as virtually nothing is on the web about this new Derby blade.I purchased 100 Derby USTA from Splitseven on Ebay who was great to buy from and quickly shaved when these arrived.Wow what a treat as this new blade is sharper ....slightly smoother ..and longer lasting than a Derby Premium.I shave every 2 days moderately heavy beard use the cube-Paa preshave and quality shaving soap....B&M...Siliski.....A&E.....and this trial. was done on a Aristocrat 1947 ...Flair.....Superspeed...next will be a F eather.The seller told me the Derby Premiums are being discontinued sp this might be Derbys new blade.I have used alot of blades and this new blade will hold its own with any I've used.YMMV but I was impressed with its performance.Its very thin ...no printing on the blade and next use will be in my PAA slant to see how this very thin ..sharp ..smooth blade shaves in that.For $10 fo 100 a fair price.This. blade is a like a Polsilver ...Rapira Lux...Dorco Prime..Derby Premium all in one...A Solid Buy!

I bought some of the Premium blades, and I thought they were a top blade for sure!
Although, I have just used the one. As a matter of fact I have one up next in rotation.
If they are better than the Premium, I'll have to give them a try.

Guys I think he’s referring to this:

upload_2019-2-1_15-25-19.jpeg

And not the Derby Premium. Certainly some cool packaging and thanks juijutsu for the review! May have to pick some up in my next sample pack.

I’ve just had my first shave with the Derby USTA and I’m very impressed. I’m a regular user of the Derby Premium in my Gillette Slim Twist and get consistently good shaves for me it’s very smooth and efficient. Amazingly this USTA blade feels even smoother and did a great job. I know I need to get a few more shaves with it to make a final assessment but the first impression is very positive.

I just bought a few hundred of these blades, too, from the same eBay seller. I've been trying to hunt down any information on the USTA blade. Yeni in Turkish means, new. USTA means, master. Maybe us English speaking guys will start calling them the New Derby Masters? I'm glad to hear that others are perceiving them as sharper and smoother. Here's what I found on the Derby website:
proxy.php

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The 3rd shave with his new Derby blade was vergood.I was suprized as I bought this blade on a whim as virtually nothing is on the web about this new Derby blade.I purchased 100 Derby USTA from Splitseven on Ebay who was great to buy from and quickly shaved when these arrived.Wow what a treat as this new blade is sharper ....slightly smoother ..and longer lasting than a Derby Premium.I shave every 2 days moderately heavy beard use the cube-Paa preshave and quality shaving soap....B&M...Siliski.....A&E.....and this trial. was done on a Aristocrat 1947 ...Flair.....Superspeed...next will be a F eather.The seller told me the Derby Premiums are being discontinued sp this might be Derbys new blade.I have used alot of blades and this new blade will hold its own with any I've used.YMMV but I was impressed with its performance.Its very thin ...no printing on the blade and next use will be in my PAA slant to see how this very thin ..sharp ..smooth blade shaves in that.For $10 fo 100 a fair price.This. blade is a like a Polsilver ...Rapira Lux...Dorco Prime..Derby Premium all in one...A Solid Buy!

Great review!! Thanks.

The Derby explanation above sounds like they have upgraded the final hone machinery, a very expensive upgrade. That upgrade is what keeps South African Lion, MEM , and all Czech blades in the poor condition they are today , producing dull blades used only by tailors and seamstresses.

My brother writes:...
"I suspect there is a lot of misinformation and speculation on these blades at this time. I’m trying to dig deep for some answers. I’ve contacted by email Kanar Distribution the North American only authorized distributor for Derby blades. Also, I’ve reached out by email to several of the owners of our favorite shaving supply stores, hoping that they might shed some light or make inquiry to verify information about the Derby USTA blades."

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I'm awaiting an email back from Kanar, too. Kanar is the distributor for Derby. I'm inquiring about the production of these Master Derby blades. I'm hoping they'll know something or will have the means to contact Derby in Turkey. I really want to know if this blade are getting a different grind technology. I'll post upon enroll response. I also will send out a blade here and there for anyone interested in testing. I'm expecting delivery within a week or so.

Here's the latest from Kanar email.

"Derby usta is for the domestic Turkish market. Product quality is same." - Kanar

Oh well. I was hoping for something special. YouTube shaver, Paul, gave great praises to the blade.

I believe Paul H says in his video that the USTA are thinner blades. I'll caliper them when I get my stock. If so, they are technically different. Perhaps the blade material won't be the same. Jury still out, I guess.

I believe Paul H says in his video that the USTA are thinner blades. I'll caliper them when I get my stock. If so, they are technically different. Perhaps the blade material won't be the same. Jury still out, I guess.
I would guess that there are differences. Why would they invest in a old standard. If they are out of money the play is to increase volume. I'm hoping for a change.

Top Bottom