What's new

New Coticule, interesting experiment.

Chris,

Don't do it. They are not magical stones. Whatever you have is just fine (I can't remember :blushing: ). I still reach for my La Petite Blanche more than anything else. In fact, I had a guy send me a razor from Lithuania that came in the mail, and I honed it on my small bout LPB. :thumbup1:

Regards,

Paul

ohh... like that helps:lol::lol: Thanks. :sneaky2:
I've heard about those LPB too....

I'm starting to look at my 4x2 bout as a bit of monster width wise. <20mm is a little too small, so I'm thinking 30-40 is about perfect. My third, and planned last Coticule will definitely be a combo 175x35mm- if I can find one. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who prefers smaller hones.

If it wasn't for me trying to settle on a perfect sized stone, which will come soon I'm sure, then Coticules are pretty much the end of HAD.

Well I own and have used a LOT of coticules. I think the golden spot for price/performance with the new cut stones is a 150x40mm or spring for the 200x40.

The stones I plan to keep and use are all vintages by pure chance. A 7x2 manmade combo. A 7x1 manmade combo (good luck finding one. Took me months of looking). And a bout in a paddle that I'd guess dates to the early/mid 19th century. I'm not sure it's a coti, but if it is, it leaves the best edge I've ever gotten off a coti on water, so it's definitely a keeper. I've had it a few months but been so damn busy I haven't had a chance to test it with heavy slurry to see if it works like a Coti. The biggest thing that makes me suspect is that Bart told me Coti slurry is always white, and it slurries a rich gold color.

If you're buying on eBay. Odds are you'll get a 7x (1.5"-2"). Those are what about 75&#37; of the vintage stones I've seen are cut as. And they're where the deals are. Bigger ones always go for a lot more. Smaller ones usually are either heavily damaged or else go for almost as much. Luckily 7x1.5-2" is a damned good size. They knew what they were doing back then. If I keep a fourth (or third) coti, it'll be an ~4x2 natural combo I got in a trade here, so I'd have a stone for quick "barber-style" touchups. But I wouldn't want a stone that small as my primary stone. I just hone too much on a coti to use a 4" long one all the time. Too many rolls on the spine. I've also got a dalmatian "Old Hickory Hone" in a VG condition original box with price tag still on it ($0.78). I keep it as a collector since it's so neat, but don't use it much. The original blue stamp is still just faintly visible on the surface.

Last edited:
Just to give an update, it's one of the sharpest edges I've ever produced on a Coticule. Now I just need to give it a few more laps on water. Super excited to receive my 125x30mm stone!

Top Bottom