What's new

New Brush?

Hello All-
While I am not necessarily new to wet shaving (been at it for probably 3 yrs or so) I am, however, still learning a lot about the various nuances of proper technique, equipment, sops/creams, etc.

I first started this journey with an Omega 10066 - I believe it has a 24mm knot, and prob a 56 mm loft. I was looking to change things up a bit as i feel the 56mm loft, while great for bowl lathering, is a bit large for my small face. That and the fact that my Omega is starting to split at the ring holding the bristles to the handle and will need to be replaced in the near future.

I have been strictly bowl lathering since i started and enjoy it thoroughly. I have been looking at the Semogue line of brushes as they look to have a metal ring vs. plastic (and economically priced for someone still relatively new).

Just wondering if anyone has tried any of the Semogue's for bowl lathering and what (if any) their impressions are. I am not married to the knot/loft size of my previous Omega and am willing to try anything really...Looking to buy two different brushes, prefer the undyed hair, and have about $50-ish to spend. I have been looking at the following models from Semogue:
  • 610 (realize this brush is more geared towards face lathering but figured it could work in a bowl as well)
Anyone have experience with any of these for bowl lathering? If not, any other suggestions to try?

Thanks!

Hello!

Based on the one I have owned for 3 years - the Semogue 830 - I would have no hesitation recommending a Semogue for bowl lathering. It does a sterling job and as noted the price of Semogue brushes really makes them attractive.

I find the acrylic handle very complementary for bowl lathering - it feels comfortable in the hand and has enough ‘backbone’ for me too.

Thus far no issues with the brush shedding or other wear and tear either.

Welcome to B&B!!
I have your same Omega!!! I love it!
I also have the semogue 830 and can recommend that.
My question is, why not a badger brush if just bowl lathering?
Although I have bowl lathered with a boar, and this is just my opinion, boar's are for face/hand lathering.
I use my badgers for bowl lathering as they are much softer and almost no backbone. To me are ideal for bowl lathering and are super soft on the face when applying lather.
I can show you a picture and dig up the gent I got it from (I believe he was/is a member here) who made it.
What I got was I think a 20 or a 24 mm but he inset the knot further into the handle making the loft much smaller.
But with a badger, the loft won't matter as much since there's not nearly the backbone of a boar brush so they splay really nicely and effortlessly.

Honestly I use my boar's waaaay more because I face lather mostly unless it's a cream.
Just curious to get info to help answer your question :)

The gents site is called whippeddog .com.
You can email him and tell him your preferences. His site let's you choose what handle, what knot, and if you want the knot sunk further. 10mm is the most (almost 1/2") further inset to reduce the loft.
I have a silver tip from him (very soft) and a pure black badger (mix in softness between boar and silvertip-to me) which is not as soft and has more backbone but not as much as a boar.
I'm sure you can contact him and he will discuss options and stuff.
Back when I ordered you couldn't order through the site and it was all from email. But I can recommend his brushes.
Just prices a 22mm silvertip knot in standard handle, sunk extra 10mm and it's $40. Can check about a bigger or smaller knot but I'd talk with him first
Mine is really sunk but it's also a 22. I'll show you pics when I get off work this morning.
He sells boar's too and high mountain badger and synthetic. Silvertip is most expensive so anything else you pick will be cheaper including the synthetic. Boar was only $29 for same things listed above. I only know about his black badger and his silvertips though.
There's something called a high mountain badger that seems to be in between a black and a silvertip, but you'd have to ask him.
Also I went to the checkout and the shipping was free too:)
Ill post pics later

Last edited:
This is a comparison.
Mind you my silvertip (black handle) is sunk 20mm and his site says max 10 but may be able to ask him to do 20 if you like the size.
Left: pure black badger 24mm regular set
Middle: omega 10066
Right: 22mm silvertip badger sunk 20mm
16010314260445786741590618148650.jpg

The Semogue 1250 is a great brush IMHO that is versatile enough to work for bowl lathering or face lathering. The handle shape is excellent. In terms of size, it is around a 22mm knot but loft is not much different that a 10066. Semogue brushes tend to fan out in a bit more of a cone shape as compared to the cylinder shape most Omega brushes have. Still, I don't consider it too large for face lathering. It does require some break-in time, like most Semogues.
semogue-1250-pure-bristle-shaving-brush.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for all the great info so far - much appreciated everyone!

Stoof- to answer some of your questions:
  • Why no badger? Mainly expense really that's all.
  • When i first started out i wasn't sure if I would enjoy wet shaving so i picked up some inexpensive items to start off with.
  • I have grown quite fond of my boar brush (it has broken in nicely), and for the price of one badger brush I figured I could pick up two different boars and experiment.
However, seems as though whipped dog may offer a badger in my price range - and maybe i should branch out and try something different. I just figured while i was still learning to stick to one type of brush (boar, badger, synth) - but maybe that's not the case...

Welcome aboard!

Wish I could help with your question, but I am a 100% face latherer who prefers badgers!

• When i first started out i wasn't sure if I would enjoy wet shaving so i picked up some inexpensive items to start off with.
  • I have grown quite fond of my boar brush (it has broken in nicely), and for the price of one badger brush I figured I could pick up two different boars and experiment.
However, seems as though whipped dog may offer a badger in my price range - and maybe i should branch out and try something different. I just figured while i was still learning to stick to one type of brush (boar, badger, synth) - but maybe that's not the case...
Well my brushes from him have been good to me for the last 5 years.
Again, you may want to contact him. He has alot if info on brushes since he makes them. He can help you decide.
And yes his prices are very good. :)
His email in under the contact section on the site.
For me bowl lather is badger. But that's just me. Like a soft pillow I'm your face.

This is a size comparison of the semogue 1460 to your current brush if you're still thinking about boar.
Much sturdier handle too
16010660380385103698701894755762.jpg

The knot is almost as tall but it's also a smaller diameter knot

Welcome to B&B!!
I have your same Omega!!! I love it!
I also have the semogue 830 and can recommend that.
My question is, why not a badger brush if just bowl lathering?
Although I have bowl lathered with a boar, and this is just my opinion, boar's are for face/hand lathering.
I use my badgers for bowl lathering as they are much softer and almost no backbone. To me are ideal for bowl lathering and are super soft on the face when applying lather.
I can show you a picture and dig up the gent I got it from (I believe he was/is a member here) who made it.
What I got was I think a 20 or a 24 mm but he inset the knot further into the handle making the loft much smaller.
But with a badger, the loft won't matter as much since there's not nearly the backbone of a boar brush so they splay really nicely and effortlessly.

Honestly I use my boar's waaaay more because I face lather mostly unless it's a cream.
Just curious to get info to help answer your question :)
I face lather with Muhle Silver Tip badger, couldn't be happier, great face feel, great lather.... Just sayin'...

You can get a Badger brush from Yaqui for a couple of bucks.

Top Bottom