What's new

New Brush Shopping Tonight!

I need some input on picking up a new brush tonight. Currently I’ve been using a Tweezerman badger brush so obviously I’m not experienced with quality brushes and just starting with lathering. I’m looking to add to my stable and try something new…no I don’t have the bug :biggrin1:.

Here’s what I’m thinking so far…Pick up a Rooney Bee Hive “Heritage” Pure Badger or a Rooney 1 / 2 Pure Badger tonight (Yes instant gratification). The Bee Hive shape really speaks to me but I’m hesitant on the Pure Badger part, when I can pick up a Simpson Rover Best Badger for the same price, but I don't like the Rover handle as much. Or should I just wait and order an Edwin Jagger medium Best Badger and work with that for now?

Here’s how my I’m hoping my stable will look down the road:
Edwin Jagger Medium Best Badger
Rooney 1 / 2 Best Badger
Rooney Bee Hive or Simpson Rover - Just because I love the handles
Simpson Chubby 2 Super 2 Band

I prefer boar. After a short break-in period, they are both softer than badger, and have more backbone. Omega brushes are very reasonably priced: I am very satisfied with my Omega Professional 0049 model, at around $10. You can spend any amount of money on brushes, it seems, so maybe you want to decide how much you are willing to spend, then bristle type. Happy hunting!

Why order a Pure now when you're looking at Best down the road? Best to put that money toward what you really want. I can tell you that a Simpson Rover in Best is my favorite face-lathering brush for hard soaps. I also like the Rover handle. The brush is a wall of hair without scritch and the knot is in between a Duke 2 and 3. As for the Rooney, I like my 3/1 and 1/1 in Silvertip so much, I'm considering a 1/2 in Silvertip. The feel of a good Simpson in Best is pretty close to the feel of a Rooney Silvertip with the Simpson having a bit more backbone. I don't know what a Rooney in Best feels like but I have no desire to find out.

Top Bottom