What's new

never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Which is one of the reason I like it, at least sometimes I do, better than the longer and fancier and prettier Crown handle.

Timeless makes some very nice gear.

Happy shaves,

Jim

We both seem to have a number of handles that we like "sometimes". ;)

Planning on using one of my "sometimes" handles today on the ATT X1 Slant for Single Edge Sunday. :cool:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Shave 20230604
365 Shaves in 2023: 154 of 155 = 99.4%
High Efficiency June 2023
Single Edge Sunday
Synthetic Sunday
SOTD "B&B SUPPORTING VENDOR WEEK" May 29th to June 4th, 2023
20230604_113108~2.jpg

Razor: @Above The Tie X1 Slant (Evgeny Koshelev Handlebar Ti Handle)
Blade: Schick Proline P (7)
20230604_113154~2.jpg

Brush: AP Shave Co Lemon Drop (@apshaveco 24mm G5C Fan)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper

Lather: Cyril R Salter Solid Shaving Soap
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman Special Reserve
Balm: Nivea Sensitive Cool
20230603_113943~2.jpg

Fragrance: Al-Rehab Sultan Al Oud EdP Spray

To honor our friends at @Above The Tie, I used the X1 Slant today for Single Edge Sunday. The X1 Slant is absolutely an awesome, top tier razor. Pairing the X1 with the Evgeny Koshelev Handlebar Ti Handle worked out REALLY well. Excellent balance. Very synergistic. Add the Schick Proline P blade and this is a combination that I'll be using a lot more often! :001_wub:

For those of you who didn't stock up on MWF when Mitchell's eliminated the tallow, Cyril R Salter Solid Shaving Soap is a reasonably priced tallow based soap that produces voluminous lather that is slick and protective, with great post-shave face feel. The CRS Solid Shaving Soap is pretty darn close to tallow MWF! :001_wub:

The rest of the kit is stuff that I like, a lot! :)

Overall, a great kit that provides superb performance and results! :001_wub:

Superb DFS++ shave! :cool:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Shave 20230605
365 Shaves in 2023: 155 of 156 = 99.4%
20230605_144743~2.jpg

Razor: Merkur Opgress (1/2 turn open)
Blade: Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum (4)
20230605_144846~2.jpg

Brush: AP Shave Co Lemon Drop (@apshaveco 24mm G5C Fan)

20230603_113900~2.jpg

Used the Opgress 1/2 turn open for today's shave. Wonderful shave - efficient, smooth, effective. The Merkur Progress (now modified to Opgress) was my Daily Driver for 6 years. 'Nuff Said! :001_wub:

The CRS Solid Shaving Soap rocks! :001_wub:

The rest of the kit is stuff that I like, a lot, and use often! :)

Overall, a great kit that provides superb performance and results! :001_wub:

Superb DFS shave! :cool:

This gets filed under the heading of "It’s A Tough Job, But Someone Has To Do It". ;) :)

To satisfy the compulsions of BOSC SCIENCE, I bought a Lambda Athena and a Wolfman Ti WR2 1.25 SB to see how they would compare to each other, and also to the razors that currently hold the Alpha Big Dog Razor title.

This is still a work in progress as I intend to keep shaving with both of these top tier razors.

Process:
  • Whip up the lather in my Captain's Choice Copper bowl
  • Splash water on my face
  • My usual steep angle 3-passes plus a touch-up pass to use the diagonal and oblique strokes required to shave my wiry, chaotic and swirling beard
  • Light rinse between passes
  • Final rinse and dry, then apply aftershave
  • Disassemble razor after each use, rinse thoroughly, dry
  • Flip blade after every shave, air dry blade
Of note: I don't like skinny and/or heavy handles. For this evaluation, I used either Doug’s @Rosseforp's 80mm x 14mm x 25g GTC handle or the 80mm x 15mm TiBam Titanium Radiator handle, depending on which handle felt the best on the razor in use.

Also of note: my preferred shaving angle is steep. Both the Athena and the Wolfman work beautifully with a steep angle.

Razors evaluated:
As most of you know, I rate my razors on overall effectiveness.

Between the Athena and the Ti WR2 1.25 SB:
Lambda Athena:
  • "Sneaky" efficient
  • Highly smooth
  • Medium nimble & maneuverable
  • Medium/highly predictable (caveat: some folks have reported issues with the sharp corners of the baseplate - an issue that I could replicare, but that did not manifest itself to any great degree during my shaves)
The Athena is an excellent razor that is Highly Effective. There is next to no blade feel. For the best results, it is a razor that requires the user to use very little to no pressure. I especially like the way my face/skin feels after shaving with the Athena.

Wolfman Ti WR2 1.25 SB
  • Highly efficient
  • Medium/highly smooth
  • Medium/highly nimble and maneuverable
  • Medium/highly predictable
The Wolfman is an excellent razor that is Highly Effective. It is more efficient than the Athena and more nimble & maneuverable but has more blade feel. The Wolfman is very straightforward in use. It is capable of scary good results, as long as you respect the razor.

Both razors provide very similar results in use. Both razors can be used every day, They are both incredible razors and worthy of consideration. They need different techniques and do have a different "feel", so any decision ultimately boils down to personal preference. To simply: If you don't care for blade feel and want a razor that almost provides a "Zen-like" shaving experience, choose the Athena. If you don't mind blade feel, and want a razor that will effortlessly slice through anything you throw at it, choose the Ti WR2 1.25 SB.

I really like both razors - a lot.

How do the Lambda Athena and the Wolfman Ti WR2 1.25 SB stack up against the DE Alpha Big Dog Blackland Razors Ti Blackbird SB and the Overall and AC Blade Alpha Big Dog Blackland Razors Ti Vector SB? As good as the Athena and the Ti WR2 are, they do not dethrone the Ti Blackbird nor the Ti Vector. The Ti Blackbird is better at navigating the nooks and crannies of my face. It is at least as efficient, as smooth, more nimble & maneuverable and (for me) more predictable. The Ti Vector improves on all of these attributes even more.

Having said that, these are not huge differences. If the Ti Blackbird and Ti Vector did not exist, could I be happy with the Athena and/or the Ti WR2 as my Daily Driver? Yes to both. Forced to choose one? Glad I don't have to do that. Pending additional shaves and consideration, both the Lambda Athena and Wolfman Ti WR2 1.25 SB razors will be categorized as DE Alpha Big Dog Honorable Mention.

More to follow. ;) :)
SO informative...... thankyou so much....!

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Shave 20230606
D-Day - Never Forget! 🇺🇸 🇬🇧 🇨🇦
365 Shaves in 2023: 156 of 157 = 99.4%
Timeless Tuesday
20230606_112400~2.jpg

Razor: Timeless Ti Slim SB (Timeless Ti Crown TRH8 Handle)
Blade: Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum (5 and retired)
20230606_112454~2.jpg

Brush: Edwin Jagger Imitation Horn (25mm Synthetic Silver Tip)

20230603_113900~2.jpg

Pulled out the Timeless Ti Slim SB for Timeless Tuesday. The Ti Slim is a wonderful razor: efficent, smooth and very nimble. Not quite as effective on my face/skin/beard as the Alpha Big Dog Modern DE razors, but a superb razor nonetheless. :001_wub:

The CRS Solid Shaving Soap grows in my estimation with each shave! :001_wub:

The rest of the kit is stuff that I like, a lot, and use often! :)

Superb DFS shave! :cool:

Last edited:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Shave 20230607
365 Shaves in 2023: 157 of 158 = 99.4%
Wolfman Owners Club
Wolfman Wednesday
20230606_195407~2.jpg

Razor: Wolfman Ti WR2 1.25 SB (@Rosseforp GTS 25g Handle)
Blade: Feather (2)
20230606_195459~2.jpg

Brush: Edwin Jagger Imitation Horn (25mm Synthetic Silver Tip)

20230603_113900~2.jpg

It's Wolfman Wednesday, so today's shave was with the Wolfman Ti WR2 1.25 SB - an Honorable Mention Alpha Big Dog Modern DE razor. Used with a steep angle, the Ti WR2 1.25 SB provided an awesome top tier shave in all respects! :001_wub:

The rest of the kit is stuff that I like, a lot, and use often! :001_wub:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Shave 20230608
365 Shaves in 2023: 158 of 159 = 99.4%
Blackland Brotherhood
Blackland Thursday
Knights of the Veg Table
20230608_142115~2.jpg

Razor: @Blackland Razors Ti Blackbird SB (@Rosseforp GTC 25g Handle)
Blade: Feather (3 and retired)
20230608_143007~2.jpg

Brush: Yaqi Dandelion Green 24mm Cashmere
Bowl: Face Lathered

Lather: Arko Stick
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman Lilac Vegetal
20230608_142852~2.jpg

Fragrance: Belcam Volatile EdT Spray

The Blackland Razors Ti Blackbird SB remains my favorite Modern DE razor. It continues to outperform the other Modern DE razors in my Den! :001_wub:

First use of the legendary (infamous?) Arko shave stick. The scent? Not bad at all. Kind of a citrus scent. Certainly not the sinus melting affront to humanity that I was expecting. ;)
Face lathered. The lather was quite good - fairly slick and cushioning, with good post-shave face feel. I'll comment further after additional shaves. :)

Last edited:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Shave 20230609
365 Shaves in 2023: 159 of 160 = 99.4%
Clubman Friday
Knights of the Veg Table
20230609_071032~3.jpg

Razor: Rocnel Sailor 2022L (Setting = III)
Blade: Eddison Israeli (1)
20230609_071131~2.jpg

20230608_142852~2.jpg

Set the Rocnel Sailor on III and enjoyed a drama-free, top tier shave! :001_wub:

Stuck with Arko today. Arko has kind of a citrus scent. It is not (to my nose, nor to my Lovely Bride's perfect nose) overpowering or offensive. Face lathered again today. Decent enough lather - not the best I've used and certainly not the worst. Still evaluating. :)

Superb DFS+ shave! :cool:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
So that I (for future reference) keep my comments in one placeringing my comments over from the following thread:

Post in thread 'Just got my first Arko...what's all the fuss about?' Just got my first Arko...what's all the fuss about? - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/just-got-my-first-arko-whats-all-the-fuss-about.640514/post-12275939

Yesterday and today were my first experiences with the Arko stick.

I don't get the urinal puck smell, at all. Not even a hint. Just a light citrus, and not long lasting.

The lather is good, but not a giant killer - at least not on my face/skin/beard. Doesn't seem to have a ton of residual slickness - kind of middle of the road.

Overall, a good, usable shaving soap. I plan on using it for a few more shaves and will post any changes in my impressions.

The Clubman Shave Soap is still, at least for now, the shave soap I pack in my dopp bag.

More to follow. :)

Thank you for your kind feedback. Much appreciated. :)

I have to do more research on the Ares to see if it fits in my razor "wheelhouse". If it does, I'm pretty sure I'll eventually end up getting one. ;)

Yes - DO get an Ares.... even your wheelhouse is expanding....! Generally, I am finding I do get a LONGER BBS with the Ares.... I still think the Athena is more "special", but I DO occasionally seek the longest BBS I can get....!

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Yes - DO get an Ares.... even your wheelhouse is expanding....! Generally, I am finding I do get a LONGER BBS with the Ares.... I still think the Athena is more "special", but I DO occasionally seek the longest BBS I can get....!
My beard is old, gray, wiry, chaotic and grows in a variety of directions & swirls. So....I don't chase BBS.

The Athena is my #2 Modern DE razor and, as a result, I am intrigued by the Ares. Does the Ares like a steep angle?

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Shave 20230610
365 Shaves in 2023: 160 of 161 = 99.4%
Knights of the Veg Table
20230610_122958~2.jpg

Razor: Stirling Stainless ST (Timeless Spiral TRH6 Polished Ti Handle)
Blade: Eddison Israeli (2)
20230610_123041~2.jpg

20230610_123228~2.jpg

Went with the Stirling Stainless ST today. Paired the ST with the Timeless Spiral TRH6 Polished Ti handle and an Eddison Israeli blade. Nice synergy. Good balance. Looks great. The shave was quite efficient - definitely blade feel. Medium smooth. Medium nimble & maneuverable. Medium+ predictable (as long as you let the razor do the work and keep the fancy stuff to a minimum). Overall, a Medium+ Effective razor. Got an excellent shave. No blood or irritation. Nicely done! :)

Sticking (pun intended ;)) with Arko for a couple more shaves. My previous comments apply. :)

The rest of the kit is stuff that I like, a lot, and have used all week! :001_wub:

Excellent DFS shave! :cool:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Shave 20230610
365 Shaves in 2023: 160 of 161 = 99.4%
Knights of the Veg Table
View attachment 1668854
Razor: Stirling Stainless ST (Timeless Spiral TRH6 Polished Ti Handle)
Blade: Eddison Israeli (2)
View attachment 1668852

View attachment 1668853

Went with the Stirling Stainless ST today. Paired the ST with the Timeless Spiral TRH6 Polished Ti handle and an Eddison Israeli blade. Nice synergy. Good balance. Looks great. The shave was quite efficient - definitely blade feel. Medium smooth. Medium nimble & maneuverable. Medium+ predictable (as long as you let the razor do the work and keep the fancy stuff to a minimum). Overall, a Medium+ Effective razor. Got an excellent shave. No blood or irritation. Nicely done! :)

Sticking (pun intended ;)) with Arko for a couple more shaves. My previous comments apply. :)

The rest of the kit is stuff that I like, a lot, and have used all week! :001_wub:

Excellent DFS shave! :cool:

Steep or shallow or what, David?

(I've always read very shallow, but I know nothing.)

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom