never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2023: 144 of 146 = 98.6%
Clubman Friday
Modern May 2023
20230526_135352~2.jpg

Razor: Colonial Razors The General V2 (@Rosseforp GTC 25g Handle)
Blade: Kai Captain Titan Mild Protouch MG (8)
20230526_135435~2.jpg

Brush: @Rudy Vey 2022 B&B Contributors Brush (Mühle 25mm STF knot)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper

Lather: WSP Formula T Tobacco
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum
20230526_135525~2.jpg

Fragrance: Belcam Bold Tobacco EdT Spray

With the addition of the Wolfman Ti WR2 1.25 SB and the Lambda Athena to my Den, I've been thinking about where the Colonial Razors The General V2 fits into the grand scheme of things. Loaded a Kai Protouch MG blade and attached the @Rosseforp GTC 25g handle. Whipped up an awesome lather with WSP Formula T Tobacco (an excellent Tallow based soap) using the Rudy Vey 2022 B&B Contributors Brush and the Captain's Choice Copper Bowl, and commenced with my shave. Used my standard 3-Pass (WTG, ATG, XTG) plus touch-ups. Results were truly top tier. There is something about shaving with an AC blade razor, where the handle bisects the blade and forms a "T", that really works for me - face, skin and beard. Buttery smooth shave. Smooth face. No blood or irritation. Pure shaving pleasure! The only modern razor in my Den to clearly edge out The General V2 is the Ti Vector. :001_wub:

VIBR Aftershave rounded things out. Sprayed on Belcam Bold Tobacco EdT before heading out for cigars. :)

Superb DFS+++ shave! :cool:

This gets filed under the heading of "It’s A Tough Job, But Someone Has To Do It". ;) :)

To satisfy the compulsions of BOSC SCIENCE, I bought a Lambda Athena and a Wolfman Ti WR2 1.25 SB to see how they would compare to each other, and also to the razors that currently hold the Alpha Big Dog Razor title.

This is still a work in progress as I intend to keep shaving with both of these top tier razors.

Process:
  • Whip up the lather in my Captain's Choice Copper bowl
  • Splash water on my face
  • My usual steep angle 3-passes plus a touch-up pass to use the diagonal and oblique strokes required to shave my wiry, chaotic and swirling beard
  • Light rinse between passes
  • Final rinse and dry, then apply aftershave
  • Disassemble razor after each use, rinse thoroughly, dry
  • Flip blade after every shave, air dry blade
Of note: I don't like skinny and/or heavy handles. For this evaluation, I used either Doug’s @Rosseforp's 80mm x 14mm x 25g GTC handle or the 80mm x 15mm TiBam Titanium Radiator handle, depending on which handle felt the best on the razor in use.

Also of note: my preferred shaving angle is steep. Both the Athena and the Wolfman work beautifully with a steep angle.

Razors evaluated:
As most of you know, I rate my razors on overall effectiveness.

Between the Athena and the Ti WR2 1.25 SB:
Lambda Athena:
  • "Sneaky" efficient
  • Highly smooth
  • Medium nimble & maneuverable
  • Medium/highly predictable (caveat: some folks have reported issues with the sharp corners of the baseplate - an issue that I could replicare, but that did not manifest itself to any great degree during my shaves)
The Athena is an excellent razor that is Highly Effective. There is next to no blade feel. For the best results, it is a razor that requires the user to use very little to no pressure. I especially like the way my face/skin feels after shaving with the Athena.

Wolfman Ti WR2 1.25 SB
  • Highly efficient
  • Medium/highly smooth
  • Medium/highly nimble and maneuverable
  • Medium/highly predictable
The Wolfman is an excellent razor that is Highly Effective. It is more efficient than the Athena and more nimble & maneuverable but has more blade feel. The Wolfman is very straightforward in use. It is capable of scary good results, as long as you respect the razor.

Both razors provide very similar results in use. Both razors can be used every day, They are both incredible razors and worthy of consideration. They need different techniques and do have a different "feel", so any decision ultimately boils down to personal preference. To simply: If you don't care for blade feel and want a razor that almost provides a "Zen-like" shaving experience, choose the Athena. If you don't mind blade feel, and want a razor that will effortlessly slice through anything you throw at it, choose the Ti WR2 1.25 SB.

I really like both razors - a lot.

How do the Lambda Athena and the Wolfman Ti WR2 1.25 SB stack up against the DE Alpha Big Dog Blackland Razors Ti Blackbird SB and the Overall and AC Blade Alpha Big Dog Blackland Razors Ti Vector SB? As good as the Athena and the Ti WR2 are, they do not dethrone the Ti Blackbird nor the Ti Vector. The Ti Blackbird is better at navigating the nooks and crannies of my face. It is at least as efficient, as smooth, more nimble & maneuverable and (for me) more predictable. The Ti Vector improves on all of these attributes even more.

Having said that, these are not huge differences. If the Ti Blackbird and Ti Vector did not exist, could I be happy with the Athena and/or the Ti WR2 as my Daily Driver? Yes to both. Forced to choose one? Glad I don't have to do that. Pending additional shaves and consideration, both the Lambda Athena and Wolfman Ti WR2 1.25 SB razors will be categorized as DE Alpha Big Dog Honorable Mention.

More to follow. ;) :)
Wonderful - so informative..... thanks very much for taking the time to report. NOW - something tells me you will pitch the Ares against the others....! I look very forward.....!

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Wonderful - so informative..... thanks very much for taking the time to report. NOW - something tells me you will pitch the Ares against the others....! I look very forward.....!
Thank you for your kind feedback. Much appreciated. :)

I have to do more research on the Ares to see if it fits in my razor "wheelhouse". If it does, I'm pretty sure I'll eventually end up getting one. ;)

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
We all have a decision matrix - even if it's only in your mind - where we weight different criteria of a prospective purchase.

Some questions:
  • How much blade feel do you find acceptable?
  • Are you willing to round off the baseplate corners of the Athena if you find them to be an issue (the corners are there, but I do not find them to be an issue in use - as long as you use little to no pressure)?
  • How much do you weigh the price difference in your decision?
There are also smaller gap Wolfman Ti WR2 razors to consider if the blade gap on the WR2 1.25 SB is of concern. :)
Well said David.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2023: 145 of 147 = 98.6%
Modern May 2023
20230526_135352~2.jpg

Razor: Colonial Razors The General V2 (@Rosseforp GTC 25g Handle)
Blade: Kai Captain Titan Mild Protouch MG (9)
20230526_135435~2.jpg

Lather: WSP Formula T Tobacco
20230526_135525~2.jpg

Same kit, same pics, same top tier performance and results as yesterday! :)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2023: 146 of 148 = 98.6%
Modern May 2023
Single Edge Sunday
Synthetic Sunday
20230528_112908~2.jpg

Razor: @Blackland Razors Ti Blackbird SB (@Rosseforp GTC 25g Handle)
Blade: Kai Captain Titan Mild Protouch MG (10 and retired)
20230528_113003~2.jpg

Lather: Chiseled Face Sherlock
20230528_113104~2.jpg

The Blackland Razors Ti Vector SB remains my favorite razor. In my den, no other razor has dethroned the Ti Vector SB. :001_wub:

Trying out a reasonably priced tallow based soap this morning. The scent of Chiseled Face Sherlock is appropriately described as "tobacco, leather, earth & pepper". The soap lathers easily - lots of lather. Needs an average amount of water. Nice and slick. Nice cushion. Decent post shave feel, although not as good as MWF or WSP Formula T in that respect. All in all, a good first impression. I will use Chiseled Face Sherlock again! :)

The rest of today's kit are all old shaving compadres that I love to use! :)

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
365 Shaves in 2023: 146 of 148 = 98.6%
Modern May 2023
Single Edge Sunday
Synthetic Sunday
View attachment 1661800
Blade: Kai Captain Titan Mild Protouch MG (10 and retired)
View attachment 1661801

View attachment 1661802

The Blackland Razors Ti Vector SB remains my favorite razor. In my den, no other razor has dethroned the Ti Vector SB. :001_wub:

Trying out a reasonably priced tallow based soap this morning. The scent of Chiseled Face Sherlock is appropriately described as "tobacco, leather, earth & pepper". The soap lathers easily - lots of lather. Needs an average amount of water. Nice and slick. Nice cushion. Decent post shave feel, although not as good as MWF or WSP Formula T in that respect. All in all, a good first impression. I will use Chiseled Face Sherlock again! :)

The rest of today's kit are all old shaving compadres that I love to use! :)

Thanks for your thoughts on the Sherlock, David. :)

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I have been using Sherlock since it came out. I used it a lot when I first got it many years ago, along with Ghost Town Barber. They are very complimentary to each other. GTB is a typical old west barbershop scent with a twist, while Sherlock is an old school English Barbershop, with a twist. They both have a very earthy and leathery note added to an otherwise traditional barbershop profile from either side of the pond. I used to like them a lot. I think a big part of the issue for me personally was the introduction of their Silk base. Both aforementioned soaps and splash sets were in the original base formula. I liked them both very much, and used them often. When the Silk base arrived, I bought a tub of Stagg in Silk, and found it quite a step backwards. I did not enjoy that soap at all. The scent was great, but the performance was not. Also, about that time was when I started really enjoying the B&M stuff, so my focus went there, and the CF stuff fell to the wayside. I still break out the CF GTB and Sherlock every once in a great while. The scents are amazing. But the performance is not. It’s adequate. But not stellar. So there is my completely unsolicited two cents on CF. 😃

I find that since I’ve moved over to B&M with the release of their Excelsior base, and especially since the release of Omnibus, there are very few soaps that can keep up with that performance level for me. CK6 and Southern Witchcrafts are about the only two soaps that don’t leave me wanting these days. The Holy Black is close, but makes up for any performance deficit with their totally amazing scents and over-the-top thematic packaging. I have dozens of soaps that have now been obsoleted by the release of Omnibus. Fortunate and unfortunate at the same time.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2023: 147 of 149 = 98.7%
Blackland Brotherhood
Modern May 2023
20230528_112908~2.jpg

Blade: Kai Captain Titan Mild Protouch MG (1)
20230528_113003~2.jpg

20230528_113104~2.jpg

Fresh blade today. Other than that, same kit, pics, performance and superb results as yesterday. :001_wub:

The Chiseled Face Sherlock worked just as well as yesterday - maybe even a bit better. :)

Last edited:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I have been using Sherlock since it came out. I used it a lot when I first got it many years ago, along with Ghost Town Barber. They are very complimentary to each other. GTB is a typical old west barbershop scent with a twist, while Sherlock is an old school English Barbershop, with a twist. They both have a very earthy and leathery note added to an otherwise traditional barbershop profile from either side of the pond. I used to like them a lot. I think a big part of the issue for me personally was the introduction of their Silk base. Both aforementioned soaps and splash sets were in the original base formula. I liked them both very much, and used them often. When the Silk base arrived, I bought a tub of Stagg in Silk, and found it quite a step backwards. I did not enjoy that soap at all. The scent was great, but the performance was not. Also, about that time was when I started really enjoying the B&M stuff, so my focus went there, and the CF stuff fell to the wayside. I still break out the CF GTB and Sherlock every once in a great while. The scents are amazing. But the performance is not. It’s adequate. But not stellar. So there is my completely unsolicited two cents on CF. 😃

I find that since I’ve moved over to B&M with the release of their Excelsior base, and especially since the release of Omnibus, there are very few soaps that can keep up with that performance level for me. CK6 and Southern Witchcrafts are about the only two soaps that don’t leave me wanting these days. The Holy Black is close, but makes up for any performance deficit with their totally amazing scents and over-the-top thematic packaging. I have dozens of soaps that have now been obsoleted by the release of Omnibus. Fortunate and unfortunate at the same time.
Interesting, and much appreciated, perspective. :)

So far (two shaves) the CF Sherlock seems to be a pretty good performer - on my oily Southern Italian skin, at least. We'll see how it does after a few more shaves.

How do you do with MWF?

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
David, I appreciate the inspiration to bring this soap out of the dark depths of my shaving cabinet. Its been a while. And today I gave it a guest appearance in my roster. I also put Ghost Town Barber on notice to hit the bull pen, as its been a long while for that one as well. The Sherlock is a good performer as noted. However, I did have a couple of tiny neck weepers that appeared only after I did the warm rinse and then cold rinse. Then I saw them. And they went away with the application of the splash. Tiny, minor things. But they were there. However it is very likely that these tiny weepers would not have appeared with a better soap like Omnibus.

The real strength of the Sherlock (and GTB) is the scent profile, especially when coupled with the matching splash. CF has their scent game dialed, and they have come up with some amazing scents over the years.

To answer your secondary question, I absolutely feel the same about MWF as CF. It is a very good soap. But not a great one. Its a classic. And I have enjoyed many shaves with MWF. However, I am still on the same big puck of MWF that I have had for a decade or more, kept tidy in its Connaught wooden MWF bowl. Complete with the cracks from ignoring it for sometimes years at a time. But I enjoy the MWF shave from time to time. I enjoyed MWF bath soap even more. It was amazing stuff until they changed the formula about 3 years ago or so. Maybe more. Now it is not good. Not at all. And I fear the same fate will befall the MWF shave soap as well, now that they have futzed around with that formula too.

Again, thanks for the prodding to pull out the CF. I will enjoy the wonderful scent that lingers quite a while. Have a great day my friend!

2023-05-30 08.42.28.jpg

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
David, I appreciate the inspiration to bring this soap out of the dark depths of my shaving cabinet. Its been a while. And today I gave it a guest appearance in my roster. I also put Ghost Town Barber on notice to hit the bull pen, as its been a long while for that one as well. The Sherlock is a good performer as noted. However, I did have a couple of tiny neck weepers that appeared only after I did the warm rinse and then cold rinse. Then I saw them. And they went away with the application of the splash. Tiny, minor things. But they were there. However it is very likely that these tiny weepers would not have appeared with a better soap like Omnibus.

The real strength of the Sherlock (and GTB) is the scent profile, especially when coupled with the matching splash. CF has their scent game dialed, and they have come up with some amazing scents over the years.

To answer your secondary question, I absolutely feel the same about MWF as CF. It is a very good soap. But not a great one. Its a classic. And I have enjoyed many shaves with MWF. However, I am still on the same big puck of MWF that I have had for a decade or more, kept tidy in its Connaught wooden MWF bowl. Complete with the cracks from ignoring it for sometimes years at a time. But I enjoy the MWF shave from time to time. I enjoyed MWF bath soap even more. It was amazing stuff until they changed the formula about 3 years ago or so. Maybe more. Now it is not good. Not at all. And I fear the same fate will befall the MWF shave soap as well, now that they have futzed around with that formula too.

Again, thanks for the prodding to pull out the CF. I will enjoy the wonderful scent that lingers quite a while. Have a great day my friend!
Thank you for your kind comments, my friend. I also commented in your journal.

I rate tallow MWF very highly. Love the post shave face feel. Maybe the difference in our assessment of these soaps is due to the difference in skin types? I've read that some folks consider MdC and MWF to be "drying" on their skin, which I do not. Maybe it's my oily, Southern Italian skin?

The mysteries of shaving stuff. :)

Top Bottom